Search

Kangaroo Is., anyone??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:51 AM
onewanderingjew

Kangaroo Is., anyone??

I'm considering going to Adelaide just so I can connect to Kangaroo Island. The KI segment is a bit expensive and out of my way so I want to make sure it's as good as it sounds. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Debbie

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 04:18 PM
ok

Let me quote to you the words of the Ship's surgeon on the first ship to Kangaroo Island in 1830something. <BR>" May I emplore any readers not to come to this remote and desolate place, it has nothing for any man and is hardly fit for the animals we have seen"<BR>You draw your own conclusion. I have been and I don't think it's worth it.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:05 PM
TC

Adelaide is a wonderful city. We especially loved the wine country which surounds the area. I flew from Adelaide to Kangaroo Island just to kill the day while my husband was in meetings. It was a nice diversion, but not one that I would have gone out of my way to do. I think we only saw one kangaroo, however, the lunch at koala sanctuary was lovely. Seal beach was nice and some of the rock formations are quite interesting. How far out of the way is this detour on your itinerary? Email me if you have more specific questions.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Debbie

Hello TC, Hello OK--<BR>Hmmmm, you're both making me rethink this segment of my trip-I appreciate the feedback! <BR><BR>TC, I will be hopping around--spending about a week in Sydney getting reacquainted w/friends from past trips, a few days in the outback (think to Alice Springs and Uluru) and lastly, several days at the GBR, probably around Pt. Douglas. <BR><BR>The reason why I was considering Kangaroo Island is b/c I remember a long-lost Contiki buddy (fr. Adelaide)telling me that KI has more wildlife than tourists... now it sounds as if it would be just one more plane ride(and $$) for less than I had hoped.<BR><BR>Thanks for weighing in w/your opinions!<BR>Debbie<BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Ok

Debbie, I think that the island has more animals than tourists because there are not a lot of tourists - not because there are lots and lots of animals. It is a nice place to see if you live in South Australia because there is not much in S.A. to see or do anyway but for my money I would be looking elsewhere

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 04:59 PM
mark

nah dont bother!

Old May 25th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Liz

Well beauty is i the eye of the beholder. If your into the bright lights s and big cities yes you will hate it. If your into bush walking,caving and stolling onto beautiful secluded beach coves,no litter and very little tourism ugliness, then you would like it. There are small B&Bs there and you can camp in the national parks, picnic in the many spectacular secluded spots which have sheltered BBqs and little else except nature. I liked it, my interests are varied from dirtbike riding to Parachute jumping but then again it's really about what enjoy