Search

Itinerary for Australia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary for Australia

We are vising Australia as part of our honeymoon between mid December and mid March, below is the itinerary we have planned - can you give me any advice on how it looks and how it could be improved?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>xx<BR><BR>Sydney (staying at Napolean on Kent) – 22 days<BR>Canberra – 2 days<BR>Melbourne – 7 days<BR>Adelaide/Kangeroo Island – 5 days<BR>Alice Springs/Uluru - 6 days<BR>Cairns - 5 days<BR>Magnetic Island - 4 days<BR>Airlie/Whitsundays - 8 days<BR>Rockhampton - 3 days<BR>Hervey/Fraser - 4 days<BR>Sunshine (Noosa) - 4 days<BR>Brisbane - 6 days<BR>Surfers Paradise - 5 days<BR>Byron Bay - 5 days<BR>Brisbane - 1 day (fly out of Brisbane)<BR>
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Have been researching this site further and have decided not to bother with Alice Springs/Uluru - so, how does this updated version look!<BR><BR>Sydney 22<BR>Blue Mountains 2<BR>Canberra 2<BR>Melbourne 5<BR>Adelaide 5<BR>Kangeroo Island 2<BR>Darwin 5<BR>Port Douglas 3<BR>Cairns 3<BR>Magnetic Island 4<BR>Whitsundays 6<BR>Rockhampton 3<BR>Hervey/Fraser 4<BR>Sunshine/Noosa 4<BR>Brisbane 6<BR>Surfers Par 5<BR>Byron Bay 5<BR>Brisbane 1<BR>
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 07:27 AM

I wish I was marrying you or your husband so I could go. I would spend more time up in Cairns/Port Douglas area. There is so much to do and it's relaxing. Why not visit Lizard or Hayman Island? I hear they are fabulous. Also, been to Rockhampton and don't really remember it being much of anything so the amount you have budgeted seems like too much unless you either have family or something else important to do there. I would spend more time in Brisbane and Noosa. Fraser Island is also wonderful. I don't know how long the honeymoon is but you are certainly going to spend enough time in Australia. Any chance you can trim some of it (not because it's not a wonderful place-it's my favorite) so you can visit New Zealand or any other countries nearby, such as Fiji, Tahiti, the Cooks? Just curious..you will have a wonderful adventure.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Hi, Think you made some improvements but then some losses too. Am with you on Alice Springs but that just meant going str8 to Uluru, to spend 22 days in Sydney and none at such a wonderful place as Uluru when it seems that 2 nights there would do it justice seems a shame. Blue Mountains is definately a good move, am regretting only having time for a day trip there. Your cutting down on time in Melbourne....so many people say its nicer in some ways than Sydney. We're not doing any time north of Sydney which is a shame but also none in Tasmania which looks brilliant. Such a long trip must be impossible to get perfect though and one thing I've noticed on here is that everyone has different opinions and only you can decide. Am sure you'll have a brilliant time.<BR>Tim
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Unless you are going to Rockhampton to see an aged relative who is leaving you a large fortune in her will then I certainly would skip that. R'hampton is the pits. Magnetic Island won't keep you occupied for more that a day either. Let me know what you are wanting to see in east coast Australia and I will give you some other ideas i.e. Yungulla National park, Hinchinbrook Island, Lawn Hill National Park. Carnarvon Gorge - the latter 2 will take you into the outback but are wonderful.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 09:59 PM

You probably won't need 6 days in Brisbane as you have already scheduled time at the Sunshine Coast (1 hour drive north of Brisbane) and Gold Coast (1 hour drive south of Brisbane. Most people use Brisbane as a base to see these areas.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 01:13 AM

SallyKate, just to throw a spanner in the works, I live in Sydney and wonder why you're here for so long. As a tourist, I think I'd start running out of things to do after 2 weeks. I think I'd be itchy to get going and see other places. Admittedly, after doing all the usual touristy things, to just chill out, lying on the beach in December would be great. Beware, remember it'll be school holidays here.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. I have been reading my lonely planet and doing some extra research, but there is nothing like personal opinion!<BR><BR>Abbey, I am also going to NZ and Fiji so am planning those as well!<BR><BR>I have now updated the itinerary and its below, if you think we should venture into the outback, could you let me know where abouts this should be slotted in and where I should take off days in order to fit this in?<BR><BR>Also, what is the cheapest way to get from place to place (apart from Adelaide to Cairns to which we are flying)?<BR><BR>Thanks ever so much for your help in advance xx<BR><BR>Sydney - 22<BR>Blue Mountains - 2<BR>Canberra - 2<BR>Melbourne - 7<BR>Adelaide - 5<BR>Kangeroo Island - 2<BR>Darwin - 5<BR>Port Douglas - 3<BR>Cairns - 4<BR>Magnetic Island - 2<BR>Arlie Beach - 3<BR>Whitsundays - 4<BR>Hervey/Fraser - 4<BR>Noosa - 4<BR>Brisbane - 5<BR>Surfers Paradise - 5<BR>Byron Bay - 4<BR>Coffs Harbour - 4<BR>Brisbane 1<BR>
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 07:17 AM

SallyKate-I'm so glad to hear you are also going to NZ and Fiji! I am going to NZ this summer and am really excited. I stayed at the Sheraton Fijian Resort in Fiji-it was really wonderful-although there are some other resorts more along the coast you might want to check out. Have fun!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 01:15 PM

Sorry I didn't read the bit where you said you would be here in mid Dec - mid March so forget I said anything about the outback in the northern part of Australia. <BR>I would factor in a trip to Tasmania in the scheme of things. Apart from being a lovely place there are many things to see and do that you cannot do in the rest of Australia. <BR>Lets say you delete Brisbane - because of what another poster said i.e. you really use that as a base to get to both the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast. Don't stay in Surfer's Paradise but stay at Broadbeach or some other area of the coast, I prefer Sanctuary Cove myself but it does not have a beach but makes up by having other things, particularly if you like golf or getting around on the waterways. <BR>Note that Airlie Beach and Whitsundays are virtually one and the same. Airlie Beach being the mainland resort of the Whitsundays. <BR>I would take some time off Sydney and skim a little off say Adelaide, Fraser Island and Noosa as they too are very close to each other and take out Brisbane for the 5 days. Go to Tasmania because you won't regret it and make up about a 10 day trip there. <BR>Adelaide is a great spot for wineries close by and the wine is excellant. It is also a great place to see some of the outback because it is so close. Take a trip from there to say the Flinders Ranges just for a taste of the outback - which at that time of year is all you would need. <BR>What do you think of that suggestion. For information on Tasmania if you want it try doing a search of this site for ideas and then come back to us if you think you would like to go there and perhaps we can give you more suggestions.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:08 PM

I second or third the opinion to visit Tasmania.<BR><BR>I would have spent less time in Sydney to spend a few more days in Tasmania and we only had a week in Sydney!<BR><BR>Sydney is great ...don't get me wrong but it is like a lot of large metropolitan cities with museums and shopping....you have the harbor and beaches but after you have seen them a few times....22 days would be TONS. <BR><BR>Tasmania has things you will not get anywhere else short of the similarities in terrain to NZ.<BR><BR>Scenery is just breathtaking....wild animals are amazing and you actually see them in the wild!<BR><BR>Mt Field, Port Arthur....amazing places and I could just kick myself for not making it to Wineglass or Cradle Mtn<BR><BR>Please reconsider!
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:05 PM

I live in Sydney, and I, too, would question 22 days, especially staying at Napoleon on Kent, which is quite an odd location, out of the way, and, I think another poster mentioned, under a freeway! It's a fairmwalk to anything at all. It certainly wouldn't be my choice for 3 weeks in Sydney - unless you have it for an incredible price.<BR><BR>If you're looking for a beach vacation, think Bondi or Manly or some other beach suburb, and look for apartments there.