Search

Good B&B Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good B&B Sydney

My husband and I are travelling to Oz in November, our first visit there. We plan to spend five nights in Sydney. We do not want to spend too much and would prefer good B&B accommodation as opposed to hotels. A friend of ours who lives in Brisbane has suggested that we stay in a B&B in Manly. I am concerned that it will be a little out of the way and to have to constantly take the ferry into Sydney could be a time waster.

What do more experienced Oz visitors think and do you have any specific recommendations?

Many thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:30 PM

I guess, Joanne34, it really depends on whether you think that the half-hour ferry ride between Manly and Sydney constitutes a time-waster; I always think it's a great trip in its own right, as you get to see some of Sydney's best scenery.... but, of course, if I had to do it twice a day I guess the novelty might wear off fairly quickly.

There's a pleasant B&B called Cremorne Point Manor which is closer to the city, but this one, also, requires a ferry ride, so it may be disqualified for the same reason. The Cremorne ferry, however, only takes about ten minutes. You's like the area, however... it's one of the more elegant, old-world parts of Sydney, the kind of place where the grand old homes get handed down from generation to generation.

Right in the city there are two places that you may like to look at, both in the Rocks, which is, really, the best part of Sydney to stay in (only a few minutes' walk from the harbour front). One is rather expensive, but gets consistently-good reports: the Sydney harbour Bed and Breakfast.Its website is http://www.bbsydneyharbour.com.au/. It's almost next door to one of the big high-rise-with-a-view hotels in Sydney, the overpriced Shangri-La. The Sydney harbour B&B was, in the past, a family-run establishment, but (I hear) has now been acquired by one of the large chains. I don't know what effect that change of ownership will have on the quality of the accommodation.

The second is a pub which offers bed-and-breakfast, called the Australian Hotel, website http://www.australianheritagehotel.com/. The Australian is only a few metres from the departure point for the Harbour Bridge Climb, and virtually directly opposite the entrance to the walkway for a free walk across the Bridge. Yet another in the same area, which you really should at least look at, for comparison's sake, is the Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel: http://www.lordnelson.com.au/.

If these turn out to be unsuitable, or too expensive, there are others I can think of in Glebe and Newtown, both inner suburbs requiring maybe a fifteen-minute trip by bus (or, in the case of Newtown, bus or train) into the city itself; these are rather pleasant suburbs to stay in, and both are renowned for the great eateries available everywhere you look (Glebe has had this good reputation for years, but lately Newtown, with its great Thai and African restaurants, has stolen its crown). The only reason I am not pushing these right now is that you did ask for something that didn't require a lot of travelling to get to the prime Sydnbey sights.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Alan. The more research I do the more I am inclined to try the Rocks area. I will check out the suggestions you have made. Thanks again!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Hi Joanne,

I stayed at the Sydney Harbour B&B in February and highly recommend it. The location is fantastic and I was able to walk everywhere. Central Quay, for train and ferries, is just a short walk away. And of course the Rocks area is packed with restaurants and shops.

I stayed in the Cook Room and it was fantastic. The room was furnished beautifully and had quite a large bathroom. And it also had air conditioning, which came in handy when I was there during a particulary warm and muggy few days. The rooms were immaculate and cleaned every day. The cooked breakfast is typical British fare, but large portions (cereal, yogurt, etc also available).

I'm not sure if it is owned by a chain, but the only people I saw were the married couple who ran the place. They were there to greet me when I arrived (late) and were there every morning cooking breakfast. They live close by and were only a phone call away if you needed something. They also let the guests use the computer in their office for internet and email access.

I will definitely stay there again when I visit Sydney in the future. Hope you give it a try!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 11:37 PM

I have made a booking with the Wynyard Hotel which is pub accommodation. Share bathroom with continental breakfast included. $88 per night for 2 ..double room.

http://www.wynyardhotel.com.au/

I will stay later this month. If you want feedback please post and I will report back after our stay.

It is apparently very clean, small room but as I said share bathroom.

We have a night out and just want somewhere to crash so possibly a different need than a tourist as we live in Sydney (just don't want the hassle going home after a big night out)
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your advice. We will have a look at your suggestions. Tassietwister, could you give me a report upon your return regarding the acommodation? I would love to hear about the B&B.

Thank you again!!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:20 PM

I will let you know Joanne.

To give you an impression of the area it is well a business district but only few minutes walk to the Rocks. Right nearby major bus terminus and railway.

If you like a more residental area with some travel then Cremorne or Kirriblli area would be closer than Manly. And both are nice areas. (very nice)

The best have been mentioned (right in The Rocks) but then the prices go up accordingly so depends on budget at the end of the day.

Cheers

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 09:03 PM

Joanne

It was way too noisy from traffic. The place itself was very basic, old but clean and honest. Most guests seemed to be interstate visitors and it was a very friendly atmosphere. Well stocked share kitchen, make your own breakfast etc etc.

But too noisy from traffic and street sweepers. I really wanted the window open but the noise was even worse then.

So I cannot recommend because a good nights sleep is essential. But gives an idea what $88 gets you close to The Rocks area.