sydney in 4 days

Mar 18th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

sydney in 4 days

family of 4 has 4 days in Sydney with a 21 and 23 year old. want to spend time shoppping, in the outback (seeing wildlife in natural habitat, holding a koala)and the rest touring. any suggestions about what to do,tours to take, where to stay,restaurants, etc.
Mar 18th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Big ask!

First of all - you won't get to the Ourback - unless you fly - this is a huge country - roughly the same size as mainland USA - but without the population or infrastructure.

You certainly wouldn't be holding the local fauna in their natural location.

I suggest you do a trawl / search through this forum for Sydney and see what recommendations have already been made - and there are plenty.
Then perhaps you can ask specific questions.
Mar 18th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Yup, it's time to do a l,ot of research if you're going to maximize your time there.

Flying into Sydney and getting to ythe outback is like flying into L.A. or Boston and getting to western Nebraska.

The holding/petting of koalas is well discussed here.

One thing that's usually a hit with first time visitors is the ferry from Darling Harbour to Manly. Head out in the late afternoon, walk the Corso, have dinner and come back into the city lights in the evening. There are great areas to linger and shop in the CBD and the Rocks.
Mar 18th, 2005, 01:57 PM

You'll see from the many previoius threads on Sydney that a visit to the Blue Mountains is often recommended. Although Katoomba is only about 110 km west of Sydney and serviced by commuter trains, an overnight stay is preferable. Now this is not the Outback, or anywhere near it, but it will give you a taste of the Australian bush, especially if you descend to the valley floor via the Scenic Railway. There is no agreement as to just where "the Outback" starts, but it's a damn long way west of Sydney however you define it.

Personally I don't recommend holding a koala, but as repete says, the subject has been covered pretty well in previous threads.

repete, shouldn't that ferry be boarded at Circular Quay, not Darling Harbour?
Mar 18th, 2005, 02:58 PM

We arrived 7am and after an early checkin to our hotel (request it ahead of time -- it is great to freshen up) and then we headed out. We stayed in Darling Harbor -- caught the ferry to Ciruclar Quay to catch the 11 am ferry to Manly Beach. Have lunch there -- nice views of the SH bridge -- opera house. Our stay was 4 nights in Sydney -- the last day we took a tour to see some beautifull coastline.

Depending on when you go -- all will enjoy the Bridge Walk -- it's pricey though. The sunset walk cost more but is magical with the changing tones of nature.

One tip I read on this board was to tour the aquarium at night. Not at all crowded -- and worth seeing. Lot's of outdoor restaurants nearby the harbor -- and depending on the time of the year, outdoor entertainment spots.

I cannot comment on Koala -- we did the Koala Cuddle in Koala Gardens in the rainforest near Cain's. It was a highlight for my 18 year old daughter -- staff were very nice and respective of the animals -- it was fun feeding the wallabies.

We liked staying in Darling Harbor and would do so again. It's a great city for all to enjoy!
Mar 18th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Neil, when we travelled to outback on Barrier Highway from Sydney we were told by the locals at Wilcannia on Darling River that this was the start of the outback from Barrier Hwy (maybe they were fibbing, but it sure looked like it - 700km west of Sydney).

Bunchee, Sydney is in state of New South Wales where koala cuddling in widlife reserves is illegal. rheamarie's post refers to Koala Gardens in Kuranda in state of Queensland where its still officially legal but many Queensland wildlife parks don't allow it.
Mar 20th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps, I should clarify. We would like to see the animall life in its natural habitat. Is it worth a trip to the Blue Mountains? Am I better off staying in Darling Harbour, The Rocks or city centre? I have a reservation at teh Crowne Plaza in Darling Harbour shhould I keep it?
Mar 21st, 2005, 03:16 AM

if you want to see Australian animals in their natural habitat you should go to Tasmania not Sydney.
Mar 21st, 2005, 03:53 AM

It's certainly worth a trip to the Blue Mountains to see wild life in its natural habitat. The best place to do this is Euroka Clearing at Glenbrook. This is only accessible by car, so you have the choice of either hiring a car or taking a one-day tour from Sydney. There are LOTS of tours from Sydney to the Blue Mountains, but only a handful include Euroka Clearing because the big tourist coaches can't get in there... it's strictly for mini-buses or jeep-type vehicles. But when you get in there, you will probably see lots of kangaroos hanging around, taking no notice of you at all (unless you try to get closer than about two metres!) These are wild animals, and unrestricted... Euroka is not a zoo. There are also white cockatoos, pink galahs, and the occasional goanna (if you're lucky).

Some people like Darling Harbour, but, if I were you, I wouldn't keep my reservation at Crowne Plaza. Try the Rocks, where you are close to all the things you came to see (including the Sydney Tourist centre, which you will want to make good use of with so limited a time). If a hotel of the Crowne Plaza standard is your desire, you would probably be best asking the Old Sydney Holiday Inn what they would charge you for a room. You'll be delighted with the location! Don't, however, pick the wrong Holiday Inn... there's another one in Chinatown, not far from the Crowne Plaza at Darling Harbour.

If I only had three or four days in Sydney, I wouldn't even visit Darling Harbour.
Mar 21st, 2005, 12:15 PM

Actually to correct my earlier post, get the ferry from Circular Quay (not DH) to Manly. Sorry for any confusion.
Mar 21st, 2005, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

You mention the Rocks. What hotel in the Rocks would be good for us? Also any suggestions for tour companies?
Mar 21st, 2005, 08:58 PM

No recommendations for tour companies, I'm afraid. As foir hotels in the Rocks: ones that are similar to the Crowne Plaza might be the Harbourside Marriott, the Old Sydney Holiday Inn, the Four Seasons (George St), and -- if you really want to splurge -- the Hyatt, which has the most fantastic eye-level harbour views of any of them.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:58 AM

Just as a postscript, Lyndie has, since this thread started, posted a rather devastating appraisal of the Crowne Plaza at Darling Harbour. While I think she was probably just plain unlucky, her views are always worth heeding, so take a good look at her post before deciding about your hotel choice.