Search

Sydney this June 2002

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Sheldon

Sydney this June 2002

Hello, my wife, 4-year-old boy and myself will be spending 10 days this June in Sydney. I realise that Sydney has too much to see, smell, feel and touch in such a short time. Have searched the countless sites about sydney and read as many reviews by locals as well as tourists. Talk about information overload! Anyway, my son usually takes a nap in the late afternoon and this throws a holiday in Australia off-schedule as most of the places close at around 5-6pm. i.e., when he wakes up, theres nothing left to see! Now how do i plan a trip around that? I'd be immensely grateful for advice.

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:21 PM
lcuy

Dear Sheldon-<BR>As his schedule may be totally thrown off by the time change, why not try to delay his naps to 5pm or so, then have late dinner when he wakes? Either that, or one parent stay with him and the other do some shopping or sightseeing on their own? A lot of travelling isn't of much interest to (or simply takes much longer with) small kids, so you may actually get around faster and see more even if it's only every other day!

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:25 PM
spud

Take your son to the aquarium. It's spectacular! The botanical gardens are also great, lots of fruit bats hanging in the trees.

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Alan

Hi, Sheldon!<BR><BR>I don't see much of a problem here, as there is much happening in Sydney at all hours of the day and far into the night. However, one suggestion is to plan a few ferry trips to places like Manly, Taronga Park Zoo, Watson's Bay. Go in the morning, and come back in mid-afternoon. The rocking of the boat will put him to sleep right away, and when the ferry gets back to Circular Quay, he will wake up and be fresh and ready to go again. You will probably have an afternoon nap at the same time as he does! <BR>The same strategy will work for a train ride to the Blue Mountains. Go EARLY in the morning so as to arrive at Katoomba around 10 a.m. Spend four hours strolling around the mountain trails, then hop back on the train about 2:30. It takes two hours to get back to Sydney, and hey, presto! As you pull in to Central Station, junior wakes up and is ready for a night on the town.

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:45 PM
SG

The zoo may be on your list but another great option is to go to one of those "animal parks", I think called Featherdale, just outside of Sydney & on the way to the Blue Mountains. You can feed the kangaroos and pet the koala bears. They are really cute and your son will love it.

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Sheldon

So, Option 1leep later(lcuy); Option 2:Venture out EARLY and sleep during transport in the afternoon(jarmanah); Plus must-visits to featherdale, Aquarium, Botanical Gardens, and Taronga Park Zoo. Got it. Thanks... if there's anymore, please do drop another note, really appreciate all this...