Just Sydney or Blue Mountains too?

Jan 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Just Sydney or Blue Mountains too?

You all have been so helpful and the New Zealand part of my trip is pretty together (well, I have an itinerary and places to stay, which is as together as I generally am at this point).

But after the 2 weeks in NZ, we're flying to Sydney for 5 nights. I had originally thought we would spend 3 nights in Sydney and then rent a car and go to the Blue Mountains for 2 nights - then straight to the airport and home from there.

Am I selling Sydney short? We won't get there until 5 p.m. or so the first day. And we'll have been seeing nothing but beautiful scenery the previous 2 weeks. And arranging one more hotel and another rental car... I don't know.

So I'm now rethinking. Maybe we just stay in Sydney the 5 nights. I've seen a number of folks do day trips to the Blue Mountains, so we can choose to do that if want.

What do you experts think? Split the 5 nights (3 and 2, or 4 and 1 even), or stay in Sydney?

As always, thanks so much for your help.

Alice
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Assuming this is your first trip to Sydney, I'd stay put there for your five nights; although you have five nights, you only have four days. There's a lot to see and do in Sydney. If you want to get out of the city for a bit, take the ferry over to Manly for a half day or a whole day. Avoid one more hotel and rental car, and you'll be much more relaxed for your trip home.
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM

A day in the Blue Mountains with Carol Probets as your guide would be one of the highlights of your trip if you have any interest in natural history. Her breadth of knowledge is amazing. http://www.bmbirding.com.au
You could take the early train out there and a late one back, avoiding all the traffic.
Jan 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Four days in Sydney would be easy to fill. The Blue Mountains would certainly be worth a visit if you were staying longer. It would depend on your interests, if bushwalking/hiking is a priority include the Mountains. If not, Sydney has several Museums and Art Galleries that are worth visiting, as well as the Opera House tour, the zoo, the Aquarium, the beaches as well as great Harbour walks.
Jan 10th, 2008, 04:11 AM

If you have plenty of energy, then go to the Blue Mountains. If not, stay put in Sydney. There really is a lot to see and do.

The Manly ferry suggestion is a really good one. the beach is great, you can do some nice walks around there or go kayaking.

If you like markets, you can check out Paddington Market in Oxford St, Paddington on Saturday mornings.

There a whole range of harbour walks you can do with beautiful views.

If you are into cafes, you can visit Macleay St in Potts Point or go to Surry Hills.

Try this website for other info: www.cityhobo.com
Jan 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Okay, you've got me convinced. We're going to stay in Sydney the 5 nights. That doesn't preclude a day trip to the Blue Mountains, but we'll see how we get on.

Good advice, as always.

Alice
Jan 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Alice, I think the advice is good, although we loved the Blue Mountains, and went as far as Jenolan Caves. It was at the beginning of the trip, though, and yours is at the end. FYI, the BMs aren't actually mountains, but an eroded plateau and might seem dinky after the grandeur of NZ. They have their own beauty, of course, but you will have plenty to do in Sydney. Our second trip to Oz we spent 5 nights there and did some of the same things we did in '04 as well as new things. It was at the end of our trip as well, and we enjoyed "winding down" in the beautiful city. You didn't mention if you needed a place to stay, but we stayed at the Lord Nelson Brewery which was very conveniently located for walking, viewing, and enjoying the ambience of the Rocks. It was a good price, too, at $180 AUD. The down side is that the ensuite rooms are on the 4th floor and no elevator and the room was sort of small. The huge bathroom made up for it though and we were only there to sleep or nap, so it didn't matter. Enjoy!
Sally in Seattle
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Sally, I will definitely check out your hotel recommendation, I'm still in the process of looking at Sydney hotels. I always find location to be key, and have been looking in the Rocks area - and of course finding mostly very high prices.

Thanks so much - Alice
Jan 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Another accomodation recommendation-Bed and Breakfast Sydney Harbour Bridge. Located in The Rocks. Great location, nice rooms, friendly hosts. Check their website for more info.
Jan 15th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Hi Alice,

Have you considered staying in a residential area close to the city centre?

If not, I can recommend Surry Hills. It is full of cafes, interesting independent clothing and homewares shops, interesting people. It is very close to the main train station in Sydney, Central Station, close to a big bus stop.

It'll give you a slice of Sydney life in a creative and attractive part of Sydney.

This link has some accommodation suggestions: http://www.cityhobo.com/suburbs/surr.../accommodation

Back to good cafes, I came across the best every cafe/bakery in Sydney, which happens to be in Surry Hills, when I was there quite recently. It's in Bourke St, and I think it is called the Bourke Street Bakery. It's small and people line up to get their coffee, sandwiches, pies and mouth watering cakes. It's not cheap, but it is definitely a place you have to check out. Again, you won't be doing a touristy thing, but having a local experience.

As for the Blue Mountains, if you decide to go there, you can catch a train. It's about 90mins from Central Station and there's a train every hour. The main stop to get off is Katoomba. You can then use a tourist hop on hop off bus in the Blue Mountains that will take you to several destinations.

If you decide to drive there, if you have time, it'd be an experience to go to the Tea Rooms at Megalong Valley. There's a timber cottage in the valley that serves delicous breakfasts and afternoon tea. The tables and chairs are set out in the yard which has pretty impressive views of the Blue Mountains.

Anyhow, enjoy.