Search

10 Nights in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
GapYear2009

10 Nights in Sydney

First visit to Sydney and Australia from New York; October 2008.

If I stayed in Sydney only, what would be your recommendations for sights to see both in town and on day-long excursions out of town?

Is there enough to do to adequately cover 10 full days in Sydney and environs?

Ideal itinerary for this time of year?

Thanks-

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a lot you can do in Sydney and outside Sydney in 10 days. October is gorgeous. The weather is usually in the mid - high 20s (celcius).

There are numerous day trips you can do on the harbour, in the Blue Mountains, visiting beaches etc. have a look at www.cityhobo.com

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM

I won't address your question about in town. There's loads to see and you could spend at least 6 days seeing it. But depends what you are interested in - history, buildings, beaches, nature, museums? Need more info on that.

Out of town:

The Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley (wine) can be done as day trips. There may even be an organised trip down to Kangaroo Valley but I think it might be an overnighter.

But maybe when you say "day long excursions" you mean you will have your own wheels. If you do, then to be honest, it is a terrible waste of time to have to return to Sydney to sleep.

Why would you want to do that?

Here's what I'd be thinking about.

5 full days in Sydney itself. Then hire a car and do a 5 day road trip. Do a loop - south and back, or north and back.

If you really don't want to move around, then things to do outside the usual that you'd cover in 5 days, include:

The Riverboat Postman (trip by boat on the Hawkesbury River north of Sydney) do a google.

Go to Parramatta on the Rivercat ferry and check out Elizabeth Farm (one of the oldest builings in Australia)

Get up early, take train to Cronulla, ferry to Bundeena and walk a bit in the Royal NP.

Cheers
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 03:22 AM

I'm curious about the 5-day drives (south or north loops) recommended by afterall. Can anyone elaborate on where to go and what to do?
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Also, can you swim in the ocean near Sydney at this time of year?
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Good ideas by afterall. The Riverboat Postman leaves from Brooklyn, on the Hawkesbury River. you can get a train there from Sydney. Also at Brooklyn there is a short ferry trip to Dangar Island or an Oyster Cruise, Beautiful fresh Fish and Chips or oysters at Brooklyn.

Drive or bus to Palm Beach, walk up to Barrenjoey Lighthouse, swim in the surf or catch a ferry from the Pittwater side of Palm Beach up to Ettalong on the Central Coast.
Drive to Ku Ring gai National Park for bush walks or views from West Head.

What are your interests?
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 08:07 AM

I think October may be a tad early for swimming in the ocean in in/near Sydney, so I'll let posters who actually live there answer that one.

Ten days based in Sydney would be great - plenty to see - though I think an overnight or two (or three) outside the city would be a good idea.

I really like the south coast, having lived in Canberra for 3 years. The Southern Highlands (the hinterland of the south coast) is also very scenic - spectacular waterfalls, caves, lookouts and gorges along with pretty towns:

http://www.southcoast.com.au/souther...nds/index.html

http://www.highlandsnsw.com.au/natur...bundanoon.html