Palm Cove Versus Palm Douglas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning 5-6 nights in North Queensland. Which town would be best for an active mid-50's couple with a car. Rooms at Angsana and Sea Temple in Palm Cove look great.
Would PD be a better location and where would you recommend? We like the kitchen and laundry facilities at Angsana and Sea Temple.

Thank you
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM

If absolute beachfront is important, Palm Cove, and both Angsana and Sea Temple have that. Palm Cove isn't a town, its the most northerly beach suburb of Cairns, and much smaller than Port Douglas. Very attractive foreshore where the giant melaleuca trees have been retained, nice restaurants many with ocean views.

With a car, either Palm Cove or Port Douglas would be a good base, what time of year are you thinking?
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Mid December
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Fine, that's well after the south easterlies finish, it will be hot and humid at both PC and PD, but guess you know that. Nice time of year for evening outdooor dining, too. It will be marine stinger season so beach swimming only in netted areas, both Palm Cove and Four Mile Beach in Port Douglas have these.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM

Hi

I torn myself apart with this decision 2 yrs ago planning our honeymoon (early 40s btw) and in the end we spent a week at Trinty Beach and a week at Port Douglas...

We stayed at SeaChange at Trinity- it was divine (I have a report & photos on tripadvisor) .. super comfy bed and great views - had just the right number of restaurants and shops and our apartment was beautiful.

Then we moved up to Port Douglas... the nightlife was better here and certainly more to do but I did not like the beach as much or and some of the expensive meals were a bit of a let down... Having said that we did love it and plan to return....

We visited Palm Cove on our last morning and loved it - it was so picturesque and really felt like a holiday location... it felt indulgent.

So if you want a peaceful location with amazing water views go Palm Cove particulary if you have a car... both the apartments you mentioned looked lovely. We ate at Sea Temple and it was very nice.

If you want more dining options and general more nightlife then head up to PD... either way you will have a great time!

Enjoy

Emerald125
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for this information
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:08 AM

We loved Port Douglas, some fantastic restaurants and the town had a lovely vibe, can wholeheartedly recommend.
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:25 AM

ive stayed at both

i actually prefer port douglas as a destination and base
i liked the atmosphere at night and loved the sunday markets

palm cove is quieter
not a lot of shops to browse and certainly not a lot of eateries compared to port douglas but it has an intimate romantic atmosphere at night

port is great for people watching - lots of restaurants on the main drag of macrossan

i liked the beaches at both port and palm

be aware that there are trees lining the beach at palm cove - not all hotels will afford a view - so ask
at port douglas very few hotels have beach views - we opted for the apartments - mantra aqueous - really pleased
lovely furnishings
great location at the quiet end of town but still right in the hub