Outrigger, Port Douglas, or Palm Cove?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to some people here, I think I've settled on the Outrigger as the place to stay in Port Douglas next February. But I see there are 3 Outriggers in Port Douglas. I can't tell, but I don't think any of them are on the beach. Is this correct? (It's not eesential that we be on nthe beach, but it wouldn't hurt.) Is one nicer than another?

Also, I know Port Douglas has more to offer than Palm Cove, but there's something about Palm Cove that sounds very relaxing.

I'm thinking of spending at least 4 and possibly 5 days in either Port Douglas or Palm Cove. My wife and I don't need a big town, but we would like a place that offers a good selection of restaurants and shopping. Any thoughts, comments?
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:18 PM

JackONeill - no, not on beach, but not too far. Outrigger at Palm Cove is, or very nearly, just across Esplanade. Do a search for keri keri who stayed there recently and raved about it
on several postings. Port Douglas is much bigger than Palm Cove with more shopping, supermarkets etc. It's on a peninsula with harbour inlet on one side and Four Mile beach on the other - only about a 10 minute walk between the two down Macrossan St. The best views are from the hill which goes up behind Macrossan St but inlet and beach views from lower ground are lovely, too.

Palm Cove is a residential suburb of Cairns - nearly all tourist development is on Esplanade facing beach (Angsana Resort is actually on beach as is the new Sea Temple a bit further south). Palm Cove is part of a long beach which takes in both Clifton and Kewarra beaches (mainly residential). These 3 beach suburbs are not linked by roads, so there's very little traffic in back streets - they're accessed separately from highway. It's well equipped with restaurants and some resort shopping. Extremely attractive resorts on Esplanade where they've had the sense to keep the magnificent old melaleuca trees. There's a brand new shopping centre on the highway at Clifton Beach - supermarkets etc. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 12:34 PM

Hi JackOneill, I have not stayed at the outriggers but I can confirm that Palm Cove is a fabulous place which is really relaxing, there are restaurants and there are some shops, ok nothing like as big as Port Douglas but special in its own unique way.
It is easy to reach most places by public transport and trips will pick up from there.Most of the accomodation is first class and almost all are just across the road from the beach probably around 30 seconds walk !
have a look at this site.
www.palmcove.net
Not sure exactly what you mean by PD has more to offer than PC, I guess it depends what you want, but there is more of it. I suspect that if you want plenty of shops and different restaurants then PD is for you but if its total peace and tranquility that you want then PC will be fine.
Good luck choosing

Muck
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 02:40 PM

Just something else that may be worth mentioning and as Muck says - whilst Port Douglas is about 45 minutes closer to Cape Tribulation than PC (day trips to Cape Trib from PC are still easily doable), PC is more convenient for Kuranda Train/Skyrail/Tjakupai, many reef trips out of Cairns (Ocean Spirit out of Cairns just took out top tourism winner in North Queensland), white water rafting, Cairns Highlands, Frankland Islands. All these will pick up at PC accommodation.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:46 PM

We just returned from Palm Cove last week after a quick 4 night escape from Melbourne.I can't rave enough about the Outrigger Beach club there.We had a one bedroom lagoon view apartment which was spacious,stylish and very comfortable.I am a sucker for a hotel with a pillow menu!Very thoughtful.The Outrigger is across a roadway from the beach-in all a one minute stroll-no big deal at all.The huge lagoon style pool was magnificent and at the front of the resort are 4 restaurants overlooking the beach.We took Keri Keris advice and ate breakfast at Husk(soon to be renamed Nu Nus)and did not regret it.Fabulous outdoors restaurant with great food.One of the 4 restaurants ia a Thai restaurant called Choc Dee.We liked that so much we ate there twice.There are plenty of restaurant choices in Palm Cove-we also ate at The Far Horizons at the Angsana.Romantic setting on the beach.Bill Clinton was in town one of the nights we were there and was spotted eating at The Reef House.
In terms of shopping Palm Cove has a couple of interesting swimwear/casual clothing type shops but not too much else.
If you are looking for a tropical paradise I heartily recommend the Outrigger in Palm Cove.I am trying to work out how to get back there again soon!
By the way the Spa treatments/massages at the Reef house hotel are highly rated and more economical than those at the Outrigger.
Shooshy
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:30 AM

i am so happy you liked it! i cannot think of a happier moment on this board than in knowing that someone else found someplace as great as did i! hooray!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:31 PM

Keri Keri,
One of the great things about this board is a community of travellers happy to share their experiences for the benefit of others.I learn valuable info. on here all the time!When you posted just before our Palm Cove trip I decided to go for the Outrigger based on your comments and thank you wholeheartedly as we loved it.
Happy travelling and sharing everyone!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 09:03 PM

We also stayed at the Outrigger in Palm Cove and we loved it! We were in a two bedroom corner suite and it was wonderful. I actually couldn't decide where to stay either. I went back and forth between PD and PC and I am so glad I settled on PC. I drove up to see the Outriggers in PD and I can honestly tell you that there is no comparison. However, we are a family of four and I think that we would have run out of restaurants if we stayed much longer. We were there 4 nights and there wasn't a lot of choices for children.

The staff was also wonderful at the Outrigger. We spent quite a long time talking to them and they gave great advice and some were also very funny. We were really sad to leave!