Lodging in Port Douglas or Palm Cove???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to the Great Barrier Reef out of Port Douglas in mid-June. I have read that both have good lodging options. Any suggestions and which do you prefer? Thanks!!!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:01 PM

We stayed at the Novatel at Palm Cove -- really enjoyed it. They offer golf, and it would be easier for you to visit the Aboriginal Cultural Park (my daughter really liked this) and take the train ride to Kuranda -- have a Koala Cuddle (where you are allowed to hold a Koala -- again -- my daughter loved this). The hotel has airport pickup/dropoff and there is also a bus that will take you to downtain Cairns for some shopping. Oh, our hotel room had a kitchenete -- which was nice to have snacks for lounging around the pool. Palm Cove also has a very nice beach.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM

hi, we stayed at the Boathouse in Port Douglas, right off the main street, Macrossan. It was a great place, like an apartment rental, with a full kitchen and laundry facilities in the units. It's also close to the marina so you can get trips out to the reef from there. lots of dining and grocery shopping nearby. we even got massages down the street as well. ;-)

PD also has a small beach as well, although we didn't hang out there.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Several reef trips also leave from Palm Cove jetty, but there's a much wider choice out of Cairns, all of which pick up at accommodation, as do some which leave from Port Douglas. Palm Cove beach is northern end of a very long, unbroken stretch of beach shared by Clifton and Kewarra beaches and stops at the northern headland of Trinity Beach. So you can walk along sand for miles and hardly see another soul.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for everyone's help. We have decided to stay in Palm Coast...seems to suit us the best. Port Douglas sounds great too...maybe next time. Will let you know how we like it when we get back. Thanks again!