Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay in Cairns Area - Port Douglas or Palm Cove?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really having a hard time deciding where to stay in the Cairns area - Port Douglas or Palm Cove. We want to do a lot of sightseeing, so I am not sure which would be the best base location. Any Suggestions?

Also, Which hotel would you recommend staying at? I think we would like to stay at one of the following:

Radisson Treetop Resort - Port Douglas
Sebel Reef House - Palm Cove
Ansgana Resort - Palm Cove (This one is $500USD more that the others. Is it really wortht the extra $$?)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:01 AM

Hi SK2005,
Palm Cove is nearer to Cairns, is very quiet and beautiful.
All the acconmodation in PC is excellent. Try this website:
www.palmcove.net.au
If you are hiring a car I suspect there is not much difference in terms of sightseeing. Port Douglas is larger and busier, perhaps has more to do too.
But if you want tranquility in perfect surroundings you will love PC.

Muck
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Stayed in Palm Cove on my honeymoon, absolutely wonderful. Very peaceful, great restaurants, and great beach. Kind of quiet though, and if you are there more than 4-5 days you run out of restaurants.
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Forgot to add this in my last post - stayed at the Sebel Reef House - loved it!
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:36 PM
mjs

We stayed at both the Radisson and Seibel last year. The Radisson is a Radisson. It's ok but a good 10 minute walk to the beach. We had a nice suite at the Siebel and really liked it. I do not think you will go wrong with either but our preference was for Palm Grove and the Siebel.
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:58 PM

SK 2005 - Angsana is right on the beach at Palm Cove but Sebel is only over the road. There are 2 Radissons in area, one on the harbour front at Cairns and the other in Port Douglas and it is a fair walk to either the beach or town from that one. In terms of sight seeing Palm Cove would be a more convenient base as it's much closer to Skyrail/Kuranda,white water rafting, and all reef trips out of Cairns pick up there. PD is closer to Cape Trib and Daintree, but that's still easily do-able on a day trip from PC.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:45 PM

How difficult is it to get back and forth from Port Douglas to Cairns without a car? is it a long drive?

KSC
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:28 AM

KSC 2003 - PD is about an hour from Cairns centre, 20/25 minutes less than that from Palm Cove. Sun Palm Express has a coach service (there is no public bus) for AUD$45 return between Cairns and PD.
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:26 AM

We stayed at the Radisson in PD, really enjoyed it! PD had more going for it than PC for us. Agree with previous comments re car journey. Early morning trip to the airport was amazing - had to stop to allow family of Dingos to cross the road.

If you want to travel by car to Cape Trib. watch out for the road! We went in 1999 and the tarmac disappears in places - bit unnerving if you are not in a 4*4.
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:51 AM

I stayed at Lilybank B&B when I was in Cairns and it was wonderful. Felt like I was staying with friends rather than just booking a room. Most of the tours pick you up right from the B&B. The bus service isn't the best, but the taxis come quickly if called. (Not much to recommend downtown Cairns anyway, if you ask me.) There are several good restaurants a short stroll down the road ... and I had a very tasty pizza delivered one night!