Christchurch to Auckland

Nov 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Christchurch to Auckland

My adult daughter and I are doing a Newman's 17-day tour of New Zealand starting in mid-February 2009. The trip starts in Auckland and ends in Christchurch.

We are using air miles from the U.S. and must arrive and depart from Auckland. Could someone please tell me the best way to travel from Christchurch to Auckland? (The tour ends at noon one day, and our flight departs around noon the next day.)
Nov 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM

With barely 24 hours, you would want to fly from Christchurch to Auckland. Christchurch airport is very close to the city, so taxi should be easy. You can take Airbus between Auckland Airport and Auckland City, takes just under an hour, be sure to check their website airbus.co.nz for routing and schedule.

Although there are lots of flights, I don't know if you would want to chance flying up that morning, probably would feel safer doing it the day before.

Book now. February is peak season.

Nov 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM

Yes, far better to fly up on afternoon prior rather than be in a flap getting to airport early etc. for connection.

If you just want to rest up at that stage, there's a number of hotels not all that far from the airport,
following being a recent post that'll help:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=50&dirtyBit=1
Nov 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I can always depend on Fodorites!
May 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM

ttt

I'd like any new thoughts on this.
May 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Carolyn:

My wife and I did this in reverse one year, Auckland to Christchurch, and I imagine your trip would be much like ours.

We had very little time between flights and had to run with our luggage. There is a shuttle between these locations but we did not have enough time for it.

I would suggest going a day earlier as the others have also mentioned. Even two days if you want to see more of Auckland.

On our return we took the train and it was a disappointment. I would spend my time locally and fly.

Have a great trip.

Woodie