Some questions for our upcoming trip to Bali and Singapore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will spend 8 days in Bali and 3 days in Singapore starting December 20th. I have a few questions to people who have been there.

1. We would like to hire a driver to take us around in Bali. If you know someone who drives safely, speaks English, can take us to interesting places, and explain a few things, please give me the contact info.

2. How serious is the drinking water problem in Bali? Someone recommended that we use bottled water when we brush our teeth. How about fruits and veggies washed in regular water? Any restaurants or food that you think we should avoid?

3. We will be in Bali for Christmas and my daughter's birthday. She is turning 12. Could you recommend restaurants for these two events? We do not have an unlimited budget but can be flexible if it's worth it.

4. On New Year's eve we will be in Singapore. We plan to have dinner and spend time outside. Is there any specific area/place that would be interesting to be at when it hits midnight?

5. Any place/activity that should not be missed? Any other tips and suggestions?

Thank you very much
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 01:45 PM

1. You will have no problem finding a competent English speaking guide/driver in Bali. Your resort will be glad to secure one for you.

2. Don't drink the water in Bali. You're better off using bottled water on your teeth too, but I wouldn't obsess. Fruits should be pealed. Cooked vegetables are okay. Restaurants that cater to foreigners know how to wash raw vegetables and salad greens, so generally speaking that's okay too. Mild digestive upsets are not all that unusual, though, wherever you eat. Just take it easy for a day or two.

3. There are many many choices, depends on where you'll be and what type of food you're thinking of. If in South Bali, I'd recommend La Lucciola for either. On the beach, wide menu, smart casual, cheerful crowd, midrange price.

Be aware that most restaurants -- in and out of hotels -- will have set menus on Christmas, usually Christmas lunch. These can be quite pricey so check first.

5. Some of my favorites:
Near Ubud, Setia Darma House of Masks and Puppets
http://www.setiadarma.org/

Long walk on Seminyak beach for low tide and sunset. End up at Warung Batu Belig for drinks. Very local and right on the beach.

Kecak dance in Junjungan village.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 04:18 PM

Definitely use bottled water for teeth. Watch how much shower water gets into your nose and mouth also. As a rule we don't eat salads there unless in a place that caters to westerners. I just set the salad garnish aside. WE use Putu at my Bali friend.com. I will have bob send the address when he gets up. His English is very good, good driver and funny. Your daughter will like him. He may be booked at this late date , but he might be able to recommend someone else.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to both of you.

kmkrnn, how can I find Putu? Did you get his contact info?
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 02:14 PM

I used to work in Bali before. I could eat raw Veg and nothing problem. Fruit ok. When I washed teeth, I used tap water but I used bottle of water to rinse last. You better carry bottle of water all the time. It's very hot during the day and also food is sometimes spicy so your water might helps a lot^_^
You can find good English driver in your Hotel or street travel agency.

When you go to Singapore, you should go to gardens by the bay and botanic garden. You can bring some food there and eat. You can see many local are having a picnic in botanic garden.
It's good for kid, too.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 09:29 PM

Www.MyBaliFriend.com. Is the web site
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 09:35 PM

Try [email protected]. Many of us have used him in the past. If he is busy he may suggest someone for you.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 09:45 PM

Where are you staying so we can suggest restaurants?
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

We are staying in Nusa Dua. I know that many of you think it's a touristy area but we were able to use points for the hotel for the whole stay. We also thought nice beaches would be good for relaxation. But this makes it more important for us to find a driver and get around often to see the rest of Bali.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 01:53 PM

I don't have recommendations for Nusa Dua, but you'll find plenty of choices in hotels and resorts. As I mentioned, for Christmas Eve and Christmas Lunch check the menu and the price.

For daughter's b-day here are a few ideas in other parts of Bali.
Ubud: Lemak -- Great decor
Ulu Watu: Finn's Beach Club -- Casual but right on a quiet cove. You can swim too. Be aware that you have to climb down and up about 100 steps.
Sanur: Three Monkeys -- great food, pleasant surrounding
Seminyak: La Lucciola -- right on the beach, good food, not outrageously expensive.
Sardine -- seafood in a beautiful bamboo structure. A little pricey.
Baobob -- A foodie place, French/African/Asian/Seafood. In a lovely Javanese joglo (carved wooden house. Hard to find. Ask for directions.

You won't have any problem finding drivers. Going rate is IDR100,000 per hour, right now about USD8. You can negotiate a half or full day rate.

Taxis are also quite good in South Bali and about half the cost of a private car & driver. Three people is max, though. They don't mind waiting while you have a meal or shop. Bluebird is the best.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 04:07 PM

Bumboo Bali might be a place to eat. It is in Benoa . I think they will come and pick you up even, or at least they use to. have fun
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Is it Bumboo Bali or Bumbu Bali?
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone done a cooking school in Bali? Would you recommend? We loved it in Thailand and are considering doing it in Bali.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 08:21 AM

My daughter and her family spent almost 3 weeks in Bali during her school Xmas break back in 2011. This info is from her trip then so things may have changed. In Nusa Dua she said the area is good for water sports but thought the beaches weren't that great for swimming. They went to a Devdan show at the Nusa Dua theater called Treasures of the Archipelago which is a Balinese/Cirque du Soleil type perormance. Then they went to Ubud which they loved-lots of shopping. Went to Bali Safari & Marine Park and the Monkey Forest. On to the north-Lovina which she didn't like due to the black sand beach. Felt it was like mud. On the way back to Ubud they stopped at a coffee & spice plantation where they roast & grind the coffee beans by hand. They tasted different kinds of teas, cocoa, and coffee including coffee luwak. I received that coffee for my Xmas present. Back in Ubud they liked the Cafe Lotus where they saw a Logon dance performance. Heading to south Kuta she said the beaches reminded her of Mexico.

All in all she said Bali was nice but she prefers the beaches of Thailand.

They have been to Singapore many times as her husband's cousin lives there. When I get some info on Singapore I'll post it.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Greetings Gina, and congratulations on impending holiday visit to our fine home of Singapore; special part of the world.

You've already received good thoughts regarding Bali. Our most recent Balinese visit was this past May; serene as ever (and no surprise there, given our Balinese holiday preferences). My profile page review of the Jimbaran Puri Bali barely hints at the joy experienced that particular long weekend. And, as my review notes, we experienced particularly personal business class flights with Singapore Airlines (SQ 942 & 943 J).

New Year's celebrations in our sweet city-state of SIN should be quite memorable for you (speaking from personal experiences over the years). Depending upon your ultimate budget, honoured to offer suggestions. One plan is the perusal of: yoursingapore dot com/ (Must confess, our most recent SIN New Year celebrations have been rather low-key, private affairs with various family, friends, colleagues; and this year, will be elsewhere on holiday for the evening.) Am confident you will have quite the night; enjoy.

Savour your planning, Gina; very happy for you. Warm and early Thanksgiving wishes to you and all from San Francisco Bay Area (before flying back to Asia this weekend),

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 04:16 PM

Not sure of which spelling
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 07:43 PM

In Singapore my daughter did a lot of shopping for shoes. She has found it easier to find shoes that fit her than in Hong Kong or elsewhere in China.

She enjoyed Little India area. She took a night cruise on the Singapore River and enjoyed seeing the city all lit up.

Sands Skypark and a ride on the Singapore Flyer.
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this helpful information.

Yoursingapore.com is very informative and well organized. A night cruise sounds like a lot of fun. We will definitely go on Singapore Flyer.

Is the night zoo worth a visit? We don't really have much time. Only 2.5 days. I want to make sure that we do the best things first. Of course, I hope we will enjoy another visit in the future.