advice on how to beat hot & humid weather

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been asked by my friends to join their Club Med vacations on Bali (Nusa Dua) this November. Last November I was in Singapore and Bangkok for one week and it was really hot and humid and I coud not walk outside for more than 40 minutes or so during the day. Somehow I did not sweat enough and my body was overheating. The worst for me was lack of air move. I had to find some A/C shops or offices and cool down. I went for one day outside Bangkok to the sea and it was much better. I know in Bali is also hot and humid but how about some wind or breeze? Will bathing in the swimming pool or at the sea and staying in shade be enough? Thanks for advice.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Staying in a shade and drinking LOADS of water always helps me!
Hope you have a good time :]
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:41 AM

These places are all in the tropics. You shouldn't be out walking around at midday unless you have lots of sunscreen, a hat and plenty of water to drink. Even then, alternating air-conditioned locations with the outdoors is wise. In Bali, you'll find that being close to the water helps. A dip in the pool or the ocean will be cooling. But it is unwise to sunbathe. especially on that very hot and highly reflective beach at Nusa Dua. Stay in the shade, go inside if you get too hot, and, again, drink plenty of water.

Bali is a magical destination. Unfortunately, you'll be staying in Nusa Dua, a sterile tourist enclave for people who are afraid to be in Bali. Make sure you do some full-day excursions away from Nusa Dua.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:49 AM

I haven't been to Club Med in Nusa Dua, but I did go to the one on Phuket several years ago. (Not sure if that means I am afraid to be in Thailand, whatever.) If the Nusa Dua property is anything like Phuket's, you'll find it to be surprisingly low-key, well integrated into the landscape, and generally an extremely pleasant place to be. One of the great pleasures of Club Med is that you can do as much or as little as you like pretty much at any time of the day. Midday, when the sun is highest, is an especially good time to be indoors or in the shade. If the CM has a pool (very likely), stay in the shade or at least under an umbrella while hanging out there. Also, avoid/minimize book until the sun is low in the sky.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 08:32 AM

You should have sufficient sea breeze to keep you relatively comfortable but as other have said, use the pool to cool you down or take numerous showers during the day. I think in November you will get thermal winds(daytime offshore to shore wind) around Southern Bali.

As Kathie have said, explore Bali. Drive for around an hour and you'll be in Ubud. Much cooler than the seaside and beautiful.

With regard to the post above, around here in the tropic the hottest time of the day is around 3 - 4 pm not noon.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 10:19 AM

you will not want to spend all of your time in ND, in fact you may not want to spend much time there at all as it is a sterile enviounment being a tourist only enclave...

you will want to get out into bali....bali is a really beautiful island, outside of nusa dua.... there will be plenty of a/c in CM.... while out and around make sure you have a car with good a/c that you can use as a retreat from the hot sun.... choose restaurants with a/c...
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

thanks, I am definitely not a Club Med type of tourist, I hate lying on a beach and love travelling, seeing interesting things, meeting local people and admiring nature. But I am invited to spend this time for free so I do not make any fuss - who would?) I am going to hire a car with a driver or a guide like I did with Tong in Bangkok (famous here on Fodor's and TA). Is it safe to hire a driver on my own in Bali? - Just in case the rest of my group prefers to stay on a beach...
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Yes, it's quite safe to hire a driver on your own.

And I don't blame you at all for taking up your friends on their offer of free accommodation, even if it is at Nusa Dua
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 01:51 AM

When you are in the burning sun, do what the locals do and wear loose clothing that covers your skin. Wear a hat, sunscreen, and drink replacement drinks like Pocari Sweat which is readily available. And do come up to Ubud, it's a great place to visit and see the traditional life for more than just a day. And Ubud is always cooler than the beach areas.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 02:35 AM

Go slowly. Getting acclimated (literally) to heat and humidity especially when combined with jetlag can take a few days. It does get better.

Elementary advice, but often disregarded, is simply to stay out of the sun. This includes swimming, which many people forget is a source of dehydration.

Take a rest -- have a meal, a massage, a long drive -- between 11 and 2. Do not go shopping. The sidewalk/streets are like griddles.

Drink water and more water. Caffeinated and sugared drinks don't work the same.

You will definitely get sea breezes but midday the sand will be broiling hot and doubly reflective. Sunburn city! Don't be fooled by overcast days. You're almost right on the equator and sunburns can be dangerous.

Even you're in the shade the exposure can tire you out. Stay covered up and if you feel woozy get in to some heavy duty aircon.

Most likely you'll get some rain in late November which will cool things down -- until the next day.

Have fun and try to see the rest of Bali.