Would you go to Bali if pregnant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I know this is a completely odd question, but you are the only ones who might have some insight.... hubby and I are considering a baby in the next year or so, but I really want to see Bali first. We could either go to Bali in March or May because of work. Not pregnant now, but my question is - should we wait until returning or is ok to go to Bali already regnant? I only ask because I've heard some people talk about "Bali Belly" and don't want to expose baby to unnecessary risks.
Also, is it ok to go in March (I know it's the end of the rainy season), or is it really much better to wait until May because of the weather?
Thank you so much!
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 09:50 AM

First of all congratulations on your plan! I wish you all the best with your family planning

Unfortunately many people associate Bali Belly solely with Bali, which is wrong. This is a problem in many places Indonesia and it's caused by drinking tap water. It's a big problem for foreigners because we are not used to their water. The locals don't get it because they are used to the water.

In my experience, just avoid drinking juice or any "mix drinks" and you will be safe. In other words, only consume bottled drinks. Food is OK.

So avoiding this you should be OK to go, pregnant or not.

Rain shouldn't be a big problem in March so if work requires you to go for your holiday in March then no worries! Personally I think it's a bit too hot in March so I usually prefer to go in July or August when it's winter in Australia. That's when the winter wind blows to Bali and the temperature becomes very beautiful

Oh, one more important advice:

MAKE IT A POINT TO GO TO BALI!

DO NOT miss this opportunity to spend a romantic time together with your husband in (IMHO) the most romantic place in Asia.

Do it before you have a child. Trust me on this one
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM

"Bali Belly" as noted above, is not something only in Bali. It's a local term for gastro-intestinal upset caused by unfamiliar foods and by flora and fauna found in foods and water. The typical food and water precautions advice is to wash your hands before you eat or drink anything, eat only freshly prepared hot foods, and fresh fruits and vegetables you peel yourself (wash it first and use a clean knife). Drink only bottled water. Do not drink or even brush your teeth with tap water. Items set out on a buffet table can be problematic, as they may not be kept at a safe (hot) temperature and there are often cold foods/salads that have not been properly washed. Don't consume fresh fruit that has been cut and is sold by the roadside.

Here's an article from the cdc website:
wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-8/traveling-while-pregnant.aspx
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Bluemocha, thank you so much for your kind response!
Kathie, thanks for that great link, it's so very helpful!
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 03:41 PM

The biggest unknown in making plans for this trip if you might become pregnant is you don't know how you will feel from the pregnancy! if you feel yucky and nauseous, so much for enjoying your trip. For going to Asia, I personally would do it un-pregnant.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Indonesia is a country of 240 million and growing so obviously pregnant women do okay here. I’m not a doctor and wouldn’t presume to give anyone medical advice but as far as being pregnant in Bali? Why take the chance?

I don’t think that Bali belly is the major issue. Heat exhaustion and dehydration are also problematic and there are several tropical diseases -- like typhoid, malaria, dengue -- which, while not fatal in themselves, would be dangerous during pregnancy.

Also the medical care in Bali is minimal. In the event of a serious situation, you would have to be evacuated to Singapore or Bangkok.

If you decide to go I would first consult your doctor, have all your vaccinations before you get pregnant and secure a good medical evacuation plan.

As Jaya says, you also have to take into account how you may feel once you are there. Bali is hot and humid and you may not feel much like sightseeing.

I traveled extensively throughout Southeast Asia (not Bali though) when I was pregnant 25 years ago. I had no ill effects but now, older and wiser, I wouldn’t recommend it. The good news is that Bali has wonderful child care. I'd plan a trip for the three of you.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 06:44 PM

i would ask my doctor.....

may is perfect in bali....we have been several time during that month....not too crowded.....march would not be as good..
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Go to bali in March or May, and get pregnant while there.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM

lcuy,
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 04:56 PM

bookmarking
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Congrats on planning a 'baby belly'.Do go to Bali.Dont let it stop you.Plan the vacation and your travel timing based on your doctor's advise.Sound advise from seasoned fodorites above.

Wiki has some excellent colloquial names for it.In Thailand it is refered to 'Thai-dal wave','Katmandu quickstep','Montezuma's revenge' in Mexico,'Pharaoh's revenge' or 'mummy's tummy' in Egypt.Whatever its called by,a traveller's nightmare,it can be debilitating.Take utmost care.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:02 AM

You have tons of time to go to Bali! Travelling (even long distances) in your second (and even third trimester) is completely fine and as long as you are careful, you will have no problem. Just make sure you walk around A LOT on the long plane ride and stay hydrated. So, if you conceive today, your baby will be born in June so May would definitely be out and March might be uncomfortable. You are not gonna conceive today, right?

A vacation in the first trimester might not be so pleasant - especially to a place that's humid with new smells. You might be exhausted, nauseous, etc. I just finished my 1st trimester and I spent the entire summer sleeping and eating really bland foods because anything remotely interesting made me feel sick. Wouldn't want to waste an exotic trip with that type of nausea.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 07:21 AM

My response to the various thoughts about Bali Belly is that you need to do more than "just avoid drinking juice or any "mix drinks" and you will be safe. In other words, only consume bottled drinks. Food is OK."

We are fairly savvy travelers and have been to Mexico multiple times. We even went to the USSR 23 years ago and took antibiotics for five days to prevent such gastrointestinal disorders. We know what precautions to take.

Our primary care MD in Florida even told us that some "bottled" water in third world countries is tap water put into bottles and resealed to appear as purified (and safe) drinking water.

We stayed in a **** resort in Ubud, followed all of the above precautions and even asked our hotel restaurant staff if fruits or vegetables were washed in tap water or purified water. The answer was always the latter. Despite this, we both contracted Bali Belly. Upon returning to Darwin, we discussed this with one of our hotel managers. He had been to Bali three times and had Bali Belly 1-2 of those times.

Be careful about this...and the need to take medications (OTC or prescription) while pregnant. Also, make sure your immunizations are in order.

Old Sep 10th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. It seems we have a lot to think about.... I'll write a trip report (either at the end or March or May) and fill everyone in on what happened. Though we are leaning towards waiting until after Bali for pregnancy, I find your remarks about travelling in the second trimester comforting - just in case we change our mind (or my OB/Gyn gives me too much trouble - I'm getting older and am told not to wait too long). Fodorite really are the best - like an extended family!
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM

You say you are getting older and if that really is the case I wouldn't suggest being so far away from home and pregnant. I did travel while pregnant and I was older but I went to Hawaii. I wanted to be near decent medical care If I needed it. Although I would have loved to have traveled to an exotic place I knew once I was pregnant that I personally just wouldn't be able to do it.
Bali is wonderful and truly one of my favorite spots. Go before or I think what someone suggested was to get pregnant there. That is probably the best advice as it's incredible romantic.
I did get horribly sick in Bali..and I was watching what I ate and drank.
Enjoy