Bali & Singapore - last minute advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a bit of planning (Ok, a lot), we are heading to Bali and Singapore next week. To some extent, this board is responsible for the trip, having read great things about both places. That, and the fact we found some FF tickets on Singapore Air (thank you Bob for insisting I book those seats VERY early). We know Bob and Andy just visited Bali, and Bob posted a long report. (Did I say long? I mean really really long, report.) Yet, we are looking for some highlight suggestions, as for places we must see, or restaurant recommendations. And, of course, we'd like some assurance they will let us in the country after Bob and Andy' visit but, I guess that depends on how long a memory the Balinese have.

Anyway, in Bali we are staying first in Seminyak and then Ubud. We have booked Putu for a couple of days. We could leave the touring ideas up to him but, some of his suggestions are whole day outings, and our two pre-teens would riot after an entire day in a hot car. So, in the south is the "best" temple to see Tanah Lot? Or, its far, very touristy and we could visit some other places? Are there some incredible vistas we could drive to while in the south?

As for Ubud, is there a similar must see temple or complex? I assume beautiful rice fields are everywhere? And, there is mention of some artisan villages where masks and silver jewelry are made. Are those close to Ubud? Has anyone been white water rafting in Ubud?

For restaurants, Seminyak seems to have a ton, and hopefully Ubud does too. I have seen references to Mozaic, and actually emailed them for a reservation. Yet, researching the spot a bit more, on second thought I'm not sure its what we want in Bali. Has anyone been? Also, we've seen stories of the famous bbq pig spot visited by Anthony Bourdain. Has anyone been there? As for evening activities, is there one dance troupe or location you recommend? Can you meander in downtown Ubud after dinner or, it mostly closes up?

For things to buy in Bali, is that mostly artisan items, silks and batiks? For these things are we better off in Ubud or, it doesn't matter much so just buy what we like when se see it? Or, does anyone have a particular recommendation for a store?

For Singapore there has been great info posted on restaurants there and we've printed it all out. I've also spoken with some foodies there who will, I believe, drag us around to some Hawker Centers. But, for a restaurant with a view, do you have a suggestion? Preferably not in a hotel. Does Clarke Quay fit that bill? And, has anyone been to Apolo Leaf for fish head curry? For places to see: the SIN Flyer? Night Zoo? And, we really aren't too interested in malls (and figure they can't equal those in BKK anyway). So, any areas with more local shops?

I assume it will be hot everywhere, including Ubud? And, from my wife, the question is: can she wear casual clothes in most places? Yet there seem to be some swish restaurants in Seminyak, maybe in SIN too.

Finally, not sure where I got the idea but, I have arranged for a renewal of vows ceremony in Bali. We soon reach 20 years of married bliss. (That may depend on how you define bliss, of course.) My wife doesn't know and I am trying to surprise her. I've told our daughter but, if I tell my son he will blab it in about 12 seconds flat. I will let everyone know how this nutty - and completely out of character - idea turns out. Thanks again. Tengo

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:36 AM

In Singapore, you should definitely eat at Eng Seng. The Black pepper Crab is otherworldly. Get there at 5:30 p.m. This is truly one of the great eating experiences.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM

I would second eng seng its FABULOUS
i also LOVE the night safari - well worth the taxi ride
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM

th, How exciting! One by one.

Re touring and temples:

I’m 100% in agreement that a lot of time in the car is NOT what you want. While in Seminyak concentrate on the beach, on shopping, on upscale restaurants and spas. Leave the culture and stunning scenery for Ubud. Tanah Lot is a lovely place, especially at sunset, but I wouldn’t put it high on the must see list. Buy the postcard and watch the sunset on the beach with a cocktail.

“As for Ubud, is there a similar must see temple or complex? I assume beautiful rice fields are everywhere?”
Personally, I like the small village temples more than the big shebangs. Pura Besikih is the mother temple and is worth a visit but the touts can be can be irritating.

Beautiful rice fields are everywhere. Get out and walk around in them! They are very accessible.

Everyone has a favorite guide in Bali. Mine is Sang Putu Ardana ( [email protected] ). He’s especially good for trekking and nature outings.

“And, there is mention of some artisan villages where masks and silver jewelry are made. Are those close to Ubud?”
Yes, all are within 20-30 minutes of Ubud. The risk really is of overkill, so be focused and selective.

“Has anyone been white water rafting in Ubud?”
Yes, it’s LOADS of fun. I like Sobek.
Ubud restaurants:
Yes and yes. Mosaic is very good but a bit pretentious. The only place in Bali where I’ve actually experienced “attitude.” I think you could do as well at Lemak, Kemiri at Uma Ubud, Terazo. The BBQ pig place is more basic than I like but it’s always jammed.

“ As for evening activities, is there one dance troupe or location you recommend?”
Ubud Palace consistently offers good quality performances. Go early to sit in front. For more traditional settings I like Jungjunan and Peliatan. Your resort will have a list. I also never miss the Barong, performed every morning in Batubulan. Dancing is always part of a temple festival. This is the most authentic way to see a dance.

“Can you meander in downtown Ubud after dinner or, it mostly closes up?”
It’s a fairly early place. Dances usually start at 7:30 so you need to plan and early or a late dinner.

Shopping
Many of the handicrafts, like batik, are actually imported from Java. Buy what you like when you see it. The quality is good and the price is right. I like Biasa for women’s clothes in Seminyak. I like John Hardy for jewelry – maybe just to look as it’s very expensive. Otherwise, everything is everywhere. You simply can’t miss.

“I assume it will be hot everywhere, including Ubud? And, from my wife, the question is: can she wear casual clothes in most places? Yet there seem to be some swish restaurants in Seminyak, maybe in SIN too.”
Yes, it’s hot but you get some nice breezes and might get some rain. Yes, casual is always appropriate. At upscale places like Lalucciola and Kudeta women often wear pretty summer dresses, but they’re definitely not formal. If you have to dress up, avoid it.

Can’t wait to hear about your personal ceremony! Have a great time!
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:55 PM

One more suggestion for while you're in South Bali: Have lunch at the pool at Blue Point restaurant in Ulu Watu. Take some binocs (always good for Bali) and watch some worldclass surfing. Swim in the pool. Maybe tie in with a visit to Ulu Watu temple.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information.

Now, what is Ulu Watu?

On Eng Seng, do you know if its a place we can head after the Night Safari, for example?
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM

can we come along too...??
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:53 PM

No as Andy says yopu MUST get there by 5.30pm or the crab will be gone. I would go eng seng and then go to the night Safari. ES is nothing to look at, plastic chairs on the corner of a busy road (joo chiat PLACE - any cab driver will know it) but the black pepper crab is heavenly. You will know you are at the right place as there is a long queue and the scary "maitre de" (little chinese lady) will shout at you "how many"...
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:31 AM

For silver visit Prapen in Celuk which is very near Ubud.

There is an amazing shop next to the Bintang Supermarket in Jalan Legian in Legian ,(it is on the same side and facing towards the supermarket )which sells a vast array of semi-precious ropes of stones for little money .

Likewise Jens at Mades Warung ( Jalan Legian branch ) has excellent jewellery .

Jenggala Pottery at the Nusa Dua By- Pass is a must for a visit and has a nice cafe to get a drink / coffee .Unique Balinese pottery and very stylish .

Eat at Cinta , Terrazo , Cafe des Artistes in Ubud .
Eat at Sarong in Batubelig ( near / next to Seminyak and very new doing smart asian food ) , Cafe Hu'u and Ku De Ta in Seminyak .The latter for either dinner or just a wonderful breakfast overlooking the surf and Maccaroni in Kuta near the memorial for perfect pasta and their sesame crusted tuna is to die for .
Seek out La Cantina ina street that starts opposite Kerobakan Prison and is wonderful for lunch . French owned looking over rice paddies and the best sorbet outside of Paris plus lovely Indonesian things or duck and peach sausages .Worth the effort .

Look at balieats.com which has a full directory for these places plus addresses .

Just a few of my favourite spots .

Enjoy your trip .
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Outstanding information.

Eng Seng sound perfect for before the Night Safari. We weren't sure if we could/should eat before, or after, but this would work out well.

We have booked Putu, and will send regards from everyone.

Thank you for the specific restaurant and shop recommendations. As for the pottery place, does anyone know if you can ship a crate (small crate) back home relatively easily? Lord knows we could use a new set of dishes, and silver ware. Or, we could drag it along but, I fear the overweight charges.

And, for shopping, are we better off in Bali for most everything?

And Bob, certainly you can come along - but we may prefer Karen. In the event you both join us, you can meet us at any of the places mentioned above. And, if you watch our kids for a few nights, we will gladly pick up the dinner tab. Of course, this goes for Andy too.
: )
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:28 AM

remember to give us your thoughts on the places you end up going to, have a fabulous time and a safe journey
Smeagol
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM

Make sure you tell Putu that the Panda says hello. Can't promise a good result, but I do promise it will get a reaction.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM

Definitely do the rafting when in Ubud. It's the only thing in Bali I've done twice.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:30 PM

... Yo, tengo - congrats on closing in on 20 ... (we aspire to twin figures).

And yes, big congrats on choosing a certain Singaporean airline ... (back in my younger, carefree mountaineering days, my dear sweet mum would say words to the effect: "it's the journey, not the destination" - well, you and your family are kicking it off right; well done.)

Concerning those sensational Singapore Girls - well, you mentioned you have a daughter. Should she happen to be a rather young, petite girl, well, she could very well enjoy a surprise gift of, yes: a sarong kebaya uniform! (As of a few weeks back, just ~ S$28 at "The Market" in Terminal 2 at charming Changi. Three out of the four Girls' 'official' colours were available: blue, green, and red - (but not, the 'burgundy' colour worn by the all-powerful Inflight Supervisor.)

("Back in the day", it was possible to pre-order SQ's version of its kebayas from SIA's KrisShop - and receive a whopping S$5 discount for being PPS. And must say, those kebayas were an enormous hit with one of my nieces - one fine Christmas morning, Uncle Bobby was permitted to parade his precious sarong- clad niece "around the block" and man, did she elicit the goodwill from the neighbours. Must say, a bit of unintentional SIA marketing - and, as my SQ-forever wife likes to say: "start them young.&quot

As for Bali, not much help: just one, brief magical visit with the missus to the Four Seasons' properties. Loved them, and if we ever return, the Sayan location. (Although, regret to say, mrs. m has become an "amanjunkie" - yes, please help me.) And, must give enormous props to the Bangkok Four Seasons: upon our return to the City of Angels, we were given a rather fine upgrade to a cabana suite. (Amazing what can happen, when you part with personal funds at various resorts during the "off season.&quot

Well, have a fine holiday, and do take time to appreciate Changi's new Terminal 3 - I am rather partial to those Silver Kris Lounges. (And, most importantly, do savour your moments at 36,000 feet with those: Angels - Forever) ...

macintosh (robert)

... and the inflight service even other airlines talk about ...

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
CFW

th, Have a great trip. We're just beginning our planning for next July in Bali, with a few days in Singapore on the way,, so would love to know what hotels you are staying in & how you like them. And restaurant reports too of course.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM

Shopping in Bali will be MUCH cheaper than Singapore as well as more interesting. Shipping is expensive (I paid more for the shipping than I did for the huge set of celadon dinnerware I had made for me in Thailand). It's worth it to have it professionally packed and shipped. Most shops can arrange this. Ask your driver for any recommendations.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Muchas gracias.

We have added the white water rafting as a definite. My pre teen son may balk (I seriously think my mother-in-law let him watch Titanic when he was WAY too young), but he knows he will have a great time.

On the shopping front, we will load up in Bali. I don't think my wife has ever seen an Asian silk she didn't like. If they have bedspreads and such we will seriously test Singapore Air's weight restrictions. If she finds the silver shops in Celuk, I fear we will have to get out of the plane and push it down the runway. However, one thing is for certain: if I didn't buy it, I ain't pushing.

Of course, I will give a big hello to Putu from Panda and Bob. Indeed, based on their recommendation another friend of mine just toured with him and had great things to say about him. (She also said there was so much to see in Bali she was exhausted most of the trip.) At this point I won't be surprised if Putu asks me how to send his commission payments to those two Massachusetts folk....

The Balieats website is great. Long reviews of many spots. Hopefully they are somewhat unbiased.

As for hotels, we are at the Samaya in Seminyak, Royal Pita Maha in Ubud and the FSeasons in SIN (thank you Kathie on that latter suggestion, they take two kids in the room no problem, and the hotel just finished a total room renovation). All have been very responsive to emails and requests.

The blessed renewal of vows ceremony remains mum. So far all I even know is that it will involve a Balinese priest, a sunset and maybe flower girls, though this last point keeps getting lost in translation. We will either have two small Bali flower girls or two small Bali flower arrangements. And, we'll see if my daughter can keep that secret.

As for a final purchase, I think we really need those neck rest pillows, maybe filled with mini beads. Either that, or a lot of ambien......

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:30 AM

If you opt for the neck pillow, get the ones with buckwheat hulls in them. (I'm not a fan of Ambien - way too many people have untoward reactions to it - sleepwalking, sleep driving...)

I know you'll have a wonderful time!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Still time to turn back. NYC is so pleasant in August. How can Bali compare?
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Did anybody answer about Uluwatu? If not, it is a temple in the south of Bali on some steep cliffs above the ocean - very picturesque.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -