Search

Itinerary help with Singapore, Malaysia and Bali

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help with Singapore, Malaysia and Bali

Hello

We are a family of 3 (with 4 year old daughter) planning to visit Asia (Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia) for 12-14 days.
Here is the Itinerary we are planning to work with.
Day 1 – arrive in Singapore
Day2,3 – Singapore
Day 4 – Arrive in Georgetown, Penang
Day 5,6 – Georgetown and arrive in KL
Day 7, - KL
Day 8 – arrive in BALI
Day 9,10,11,12 – Bali (May be go to Gili island)
Day13 – travel home

1. Do you have any suggestions? Do we need 2 days in Georgetown or should we spend an additional day in Bali and visit Gili island?
2. From KL to Georgetown – should we take the train considering air asia has flights costing pretty much the same as the train. What makes more sense in terms of time and accessibility? – train or the flight?
3. Do we need rental car for places like Penang/Georgetown and Bali? If no rental car what's the best way to move around?
4. Is 4 days enough in Bali considering there is lot to do and see. Do you recommend going to Gili island?

Appreciate your help.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 11:20 PM

Your itinerary looks good. Singapore is very comfortable and child friendly. Have you booked your hotel? The Civic District where the Fairmont or Swisshotel for up market stay would be great with walking distances to museums , the Marina Bay, and a very convenient underground train to get almost everywhere else. Dress light, hydrate well, bring a hat. For your 4 year old make sure you visit the River Safari and consider the Night Safari - you can catch a cab there or do one of the tours. Kids also love the Science Centre. There is of course Sentosa with Universal Studios - she'll enjoy that. Eating is fun and safe ( and spicy at times ) and very international. About 3 days in Singapore would be great as we are a small city with efficient transportation.

Penang is slower but traffic jams which can slow down internal travel. I would not drive in Penang. Instead see if you can arrange a car and driver for a day - far less stress. What would be fun would be to hire a trishaw around the old town area for the 3 of you ( a bit of a squeeze but good fun ) and get the rider to show you around and bring you to good local eateries. You can find them congregated in front of the Traders hotel - haggle the for price per hour! It should not be more than about $10 USD per hour. There's lots to enjoy in Penang. Beaches are not great - Bali would be better. Do visit the Peranakan Museum if you're into local culture and enjoy the local cuisine. Night markets are fun and there is a thriving one along Batu Ferringhi which hugs the beach front. I think the train may be interesting but KTM ( Kereta-api Tanah Melayu ) is rather old and tired and delays are not uncommon. Actually if you can get a bus for Penang to KL that may be more fun as the highway between them is quite scenic.

KL is worth only a short stay. Watch out for bag snatchers on motor bikes though. I don't think of it as a vacation destination but one day visit if well planned can be OK.

Bali is very well covered by Kadekbudi. Again it will depend on where you stay. Commuting is an issue as traffic has grown and road infrastructure has not. Nevertheless if you're at a resort, just enjoy all they have. With a 4 year old think ClubMed in Nusa Dua. May be more fun.

Enjoy your holiday!
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 06:31 AM

Personally i much prefer KL to Singapore but then i am not travelling with a 4 year old and there is undoubtedly much more to interest your daughter in Singapore.

There is no real need to spend any time in KL. You could get a direct flight from Singapore to Penang and then just trust in KL en route to Bali. I have done the train journey from KL to Penang a couple of times by train. It doesn't make any sense for you really as it just means you have to get into KL Sentral by train first for the connection which all adds to the time. Flying would be quicker.

I would not rent a car in either Penang or Bali. Georgetown is best on foot and/or the hop on/off bus. In Bali, just get taxis wherever you want to go or maybe hire a driver guide. they are very reasonable.

Two full days in Georgetown would be just enough to see the sights (but nowhere near enough. For me in Bali,it would be a choice of beach or Ubud or maybe a combination thereof. I don't think you have enough time for Gili and one day is not really worth the effort.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you silverlex & crellston. Appreciate your feedback. I am planning to add one more day in Singapore considering there is lot to do.

Crellston it does make sense to do beach and Ubud in Bali. We also wanted to see the temples. I have heard good things about Uluwatu Temple – Pura Luhur. As far as accommodation goes I was thinking 2 days in Nusa Dua and 2 days in Ubud. I have read about traffic issues in Bali and don't want t spend too much time in commute. Do you have any recommendation for good accommodation in Bali? We are not looking for super luxurious but a descent stay at a good location.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 12:25 AM

I am the wrong person to ask re beach location in Bali as the main reason I go to the coast is for diving not the beach. Having said that, I did stay in Nusa Dua many years ago without realising that it was a purpose built tourist enclave and "not the real Bali". There are better beach locations on Bali . Hopefully marmot will see this and comment. If not do a search for her screen name and you will get loads of info.

In Ubud we stayed at Odah Ayu Guesthouse and loved it. It is cheap at around $30 a night so great value my review on TA @ https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...Ubud_Bali.html it is in the centre of town but in a very quiet street so peaceful but within walking distance of the centre, teh monkey forest etc.

If it were me, given the time you have available and the fact you have your daughter with you, I would be loathe to move hotels more than absolutely necessary. Just moving from Ubud to the coast, by the time you factor in packing, un packing , transfers etc, realistically the best part of a day is gone.

I would probably get a decent hotel, maybe slightly out of town, with a decent pool ( suitable for children) and hire a driver to see the temple sights etc. In one full day Plan it carefully and you can see a LOT in One day. Other days you can get taxis as and when needed
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 06:21 AM

As far as transportation from Penang to KL, I would recommend looking at your bus options (we took Aeroline). I think the trip was about 4 hours long, but it was pretty relaxing and the bus was very nice (they even served lunch). You can even reserve your seats..
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 08:08 AM

With the limited time you have, I'd skip KL and fly from Georgetown to Bali (via Singapore or KL). With a child, I'd opt for one location in Bali - either at the beach or inland, near Ubud. As crellston says, avoid Nusa Dua - it's a beach resort area for people who don't want to be in Indonesia. Also avoid Kuta, which is the Party beach area. I like Sanur, but there are other small towns along the coast as well.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 10:36 AM

I agree with Kathie and suggest skipping KL unless there is something there that you desperately want to visit. There is so much to see and do in Singapore that you'll be glad of having a few extra days there.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 11:18 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote to skip a stay in KL and use it for air transit only. Singapore, Penang, Bali would make a lovely trip although still a bit rushed for me. If I were to choose my favorites and slow it down another notch, while I like Singapore very much, it would be Penang (in Georgetown or nor far from it) & Bali (Ubud).
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 06:05 PM

I don't know where you're traveling from, but assuming that you're going to encounter jetlag and an unaccustomed tropical climate, I'd suggest that you pare down your destinations (especially with a 4 year old!). You need to minimize time spent in transit, plan activities for the cooler part of day and allow for plenty of down-time in air conditioning or a shady place.

My preference would be toward Singapore plus a couple of locations in Bali. Or alternately Singapore plus Penang and a beach location like Langkawi. (The time of year that you're traveling in will make a difference.)

In Bali you could split your time between the Ubud area and the beach. Your choice of beach really depends on what you like to do. The calm east coast beaches of Sanur and Nusa Dua are most suitable for a small child. On the west coast you get big wave surfer beaches. The Seminyak/Petitenget area offers wide choice of restaurants and shops.

The Gili Islands are less developed and more laid back, but getting there and back will take up the better part of a day, so visiting depends on your total Bali time. You don't need to rent a self-drive car. It's easy enough to arrange for a car and driver to take you where you want to go and wait for you as long as it takes.

In Ubud you can either stay in or within walking distance of the town itself or outside of town in the countryside.

Although the Balinese love children and children love Bali, you have to be aware that hotels are not generally child-proofed. You have to aware of hazards like wobby railings, uneven paving and steps, unprotected ponds and pools, exposed electrical outlets, out of control motor cycles etc. Most swimming pools do not have life guards and many Balinese care givers don't swim. Stay away from monkeys and stray dogs!

There are temples all over Bali and wherever you are you'll find temple ceremonies, cremations and processions. Ulu Watu and Tanah Lot are sea temples that are famous for their sunsets, but personally I think they're overly touristed. Wherever you are one of the nearby temples will be holding a ceremony, in the temple or on the beach. Your driver or resort concierge will know what's going on in the area.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

thank-you Marmot, MmePerdu, CarlyQ, Kathie & internetwiz.

@internetwiz - Bus from KL to Georgetown is a good idea considering KL airport is far from the city center. I assume bus will start from the city center. Also do you know if the bus goes all the way to georgetown or do we need to take ferry from Butterworth?
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 09:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
If you plan to be in the city of KL then I suggest you take a train from KL to Butterworth. Taxi across the bridge to Georgetown. If you don't plan to visit KL then Air Asia, for instance, has flights into Georgetown from Singapore. No need to go to KL unless it's part of the itinerary.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 02:35 PM

Early Friday morning greetings from our home of Singapore to the OP, nick, and glad you will be spending some time in our city-state. Love living in SIN for family, work, residence.

Adding to the above, thoughtful comments, will suggest staying abreast of various airline promotions out of our fine airport, Changi. Any questions regarding my primary business travel carrier, Singapore Airlines, happy to assist.

The following may not meet your requirements and budget, but will give a promotion of a special place we stayed at last month for a wedding and Valentine's Day, Qunci Villas, Indonesia. My all-too-brief reviews on my profile page just touch on that memorable long weekend. Also mention Qunci, as friends with two young children stayed at the property and loved their lodging. (Granted, they were in a two-bedroom villa with private pool.)

Enjoy your planning; happy for you. Early and warm weekend wishes from Singapore,

robert

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...