Need Singapore, Malaysia & Bali Itinerary Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would welcome comments and changes to my itinerary. I’m worried about the travel time. We have never been to any of these places. We enjoy culture, temples, beaches, and some night life.

Sept. 19-20: Flight
Sept. 20-21: Singapore
Sept. 22-24: Kuala Lumpur
Sept. 25-27: Penang
Sept. 28-30: Ubud
Oct. 1: Singapore
Oct. 2: Flight home

Or would it be better to do Singapore & Bali for 2 weeks and save Malaysia for another trip?
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:19 AM

You can do Sing in 3 days despite what others may say, so keep it to that level. Now you are close to Malaysia- I would do KL- 3 days is fine and I would skip Penang and do the remainder of your time in Bali- maybe do a few days at a Bali beach resort and then the rest in Ubud.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:19 AM

With just two weeks, you'll be much happier seeing just Singapore and Bali on this trip. Save Malaysia for another trip. While on Bali, spend part of your time at a beach location and part of your time in Ubud.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your quick responses. Any recommendations of good beaches in Bali?
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:26 AM

For those that can travel back again and again yes Kathie is probably right- but not everyone has the ability to do so- so if you fall into this category then you want to get the most out of this trip as you might not get back for a number of years. I would then still do KL as I found it an interesting city and much more culture than Sing.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 12:01 PM

I TOTALLY agree with Kathie on this one although I understand Bill's point,too. Personally I feel that it's better to take one's time in a place... especially since you are a first timer...and really ABSORB it than to rush from place to place and get home totally exhausted and remembering not much.I would also focus on Singapore and Bali. I don't know where you are flying from, but I fly from L.A. to Singapore and then overnight there...which you can do at the hotel right inside the airport in Singapore since you will be in-transit. The flights get in REAL late anyway. So, you just check into the airport hotel...get plenty of rest...and then the next morning fly down to Bali. Stay there as long as you'd like and then back to Singapore and then home from Singapore. And yes, I would also divide the Bali stay into Ubud and beach...although I only did Ubud which is wonderful. On my first trip to Southeast Asia, I had three full weeks and did Singapore,Bali,Chiangmai(flew non-stop from Singapore) and Bangkok. I had a VERY flexible plane ticket...worth the extra money...and changed my whole itinerary once I got there...depending on my mood...and wasn't charged for any of the changes. It worked out very well for me. By the time I got to Bangkok...the end of the trip, I was exhausted although I have a very high energy level. Plus, I had taken a bit sick, up in Chiangmai, so it slowed me down a bit. You have to think about possible (stomach) sickness. It would be NO fun if you took sick and HAD to get to the next destination because of all of the..."If it's Tuesday,it must be Belgium" scheduling.Hope this has helped. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Oh,I forgot, I would give Singapore 5 full days. I know I'm one who adores the place and others don't, but it's a vacation so why not just take your time?Plus the food in Singapore is incredible. Plus, you could always taxi over...from Singapore... to Malaysia if you wanted to do a day-trip to the border area of Malaysia. The Treasures and Pleasures travel book on Singapore has a whole section on 101 things to do while in Singapore. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Ok if you do just Sing and Bali you have 12 days in all (not counting your travel days).
Guen says do 5 in Sing - that leaves you 7 in Bali. I would adjust this slightly to 4 in Sing and 8 in Bali simply because Bali has so much to offer and you will be splitting your time between the beach resorts and inland in Ubud.
We did Sing in 3 days and felt we saw a lot- hey its a small island. We did not feel rushed- it was just right.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Bill's plan would work.I didn't count the days from the above schedule...just had two weeks in my mind...which to me translated as 14 full days. I'm just in the habit of, when I personally travel, to not count the flying days, but just figure my itinerary on the actual number of days in a place. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the responses. I will discuss this with my friend & I'm sure we'll have more questions.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:41 PM

I was born in Penang, lived there 17 yrs,now living in Singapore for the past 18 yrs and travel to KL every month to KL and Penang for biz. I entertain alot so would know all the best food places. I also hv a pretty good view on the good attractions to visit in the places you mentioned.

For 2 wks I would spend at least 5 nites in Bali. I wouldnt do KL if I'm short of time. Penang is an option and is like an old Singapore. Among those cities, Penang has the best hawker food, Singapore has the best restaurant food.

If you need food or hotel advice feel free to ask with yr specifications.

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Having stayed there for several nights at two different times last November, I highly recommend the Perak Lodge in Little India in Singapore. It is close to several types of public transportation, but also within walking distance of the Raffles Hotel and other "downtown" attractions. ZZ
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Wein:

I find it hard to believe that a fello Malaysian would encourage visitors not to visit their own country !

Perhaps your knowledge about the various sights available in Penang and Kuala Lumpur is limited when compared to Singapore or Bali or even China.

Each country/city has its qnique quality for all the quaint essential traveller !

Joe Chan
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Dear Joe,

Rsidhu was considering 4 towns. I just think Bali has more to offer than the others in terms of what he was looking for (culture, temples, nightlife and beaches).I did not discourage him from visting Malaysia. In fact I think Taman Negara, Mulu Natl Park together with the Sarawak caves are the best and most unique attraction that M'sia has. But not KL and Penang.Can u tell me what is interesting n unique abt KL (apart from the magnificent architectural masterpiece of the twin towers)that Rsidhu was looking for? Malaysia's best beaches are not found in Penang or KL..Oh I forgot KL has "The Beach" nightlife so that qualifies as part of what he was looking for and Penang has the Snake temple..

Notice I didnt even recommend Singapore as I dont think it is a must-stop place.

Lastly I'd like to think my travel views are independant of my patriotism.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

How does this sound instead:

Sept 19: Flight
Sept 20-21: Singapore
Sept 22-24: Kuala Lumpur
Sept 25-27: Ubud
Sept 28: Yogyakarta
Sept 29-30: Jimbaran Bay
Oct 1: Singapore
Oct 2: Flight home
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM

I would look into flying into Yogya (or Solo) on your way from or to Singapore or KL, then connecting onward from or to Bali. I belive Air Asia, Silk Air or Garuda flights would work. Ideally, you would then have your time in Bali at the end to relax, without interrupting your Bali stay in the middle by going to Jogya. Or were you just planning on doing Yogya as a day trip from Bali (which is possible but really rushed)?
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Do you know where the airport is that's close to Yogyakarta? I'm trying to figure out if it's cheaper from Singapore or KL (my guess is KL).
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:06 AM

I took a look at some websites.

On AirAsia, you can fly from KL to Jogya, but connecting in Jakarta.

On SilkAir, you can fly from Singapore to Solo (which is about an hour from the Borobuda, as I understand it).
There are a number of flight options (Garuda) from Jogya to Bali.

Hope this helps

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

I rearranged the itinerary again. I like it now after all your suggestions:

Sept 19: Flight
Sept 20-21: Singapore
Sept 22-24: Kuala Lumpur
Sept 25: Yogyakarta
Sept 26-28: Ubud
Sept 29-30: Jimbaran Bay
Oct 1: Singapore
Oct 2: Flight home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -