Reload this Page >

SINGAPORE & ?? - BALI or PENANG??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Bonnie

HI - we're thinking of going in Oct 2002 - there is a Double Indulgence deal with Bestflights.com where we can spend two nights in singapore and then go to another centre... tossing up between bali, langkawi and penang. we've never been to any of them. quite interested in culture, history and arts and generally want to do some relaxing... What do people recommend?? Where to stay?? cant afford the five star luxury wed like but also dont want to be cloistered from the culture either...

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:36 AM
jorge

bali.. nuff said...<BR><BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:17 AM
bali

Bali!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:27 AM
bali

Bali is a rip-off for tourists. Sure it's nice, but terribly expensive compared to Penang or Langkawi. I say Penang. Amazing food.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Kathie

Hmmm... I would have said that Bali is the least expensive place among the three. Certainly, I think there are more cultural activities readily availble in Bali.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:28 PM
bonnie

ok - so it seems bali get the nod with one vote for penang...<BR><BR>any must see or do's for either?? weve found a lot of info on bali but not much for penang...<BR><BR>good deals - places to stay??

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:45 PM
jorge

couse there is not much too do in Penang.. it's basicaly a place where we (backpacker) go too pick up thai vissas and stay in cheep hostals..

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:38 PM
wayne

I was born in Penang and I say go to Bali.It's all you'd want in a magical exotic tropical island and more.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:03 AM
Carrie

Avoid Kuta in Bali, otherwise you'll still think you have not left Australia.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Betsy

Went to Penang on business trip October 2000 and would not recommend it unless you just want to lay on the beach, which you can do in a million other more convenient places. Not much to do.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:52 AM
kyoub

You could easily see Penang and Langkawi. It is just a short flight or a boat ride between the two. I love Langkawi and Penang is interesting for a couple of days sightseeing. We stay at the Awana Hotel when we are on Langkawi. One thing that can be said about Malaysia is that you do not get hassled to buy anything or hear Transport yelled at you, when you are trying to shop. Bali is an experience for sure!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:07 AM
singaporean

I am Singaporean and have been around the region pretty much. I'd say Bali and Langkawi are top spots, compared to Penang, which is only a small and rather unexciting town, though i agree that the food is amazing...Also note that Bali is much more expensive!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:30 PM
indo

I would take the flight to Bali spend a few days there and take a local flight from Denpasar to Lombok - the next Island over. Much much less crowded and the beaches on the northwest part of the Island are much prettier but more importantly much less expensive. Lombok is much more relaxed - mucn less natives will come up to you and try to sell you something.