Singapore and......

Search

Singapore and......

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore and......

My husband and I live in Dubai and are planning a trip with our kids (3 and 1)to Singapore the first week of March. I know most people do not recommend taking kids but we will have help since my sister will travel with us and therefore will babysit when needed. In singapore we would like to stay in a 5 star hotel in the middle of all the shopping. Any ideas? My husband was thinking of the grand hyatt so is it close to the shopping?
After singapore we would like to take another week and visit either hong kong, KL or Bali. Although My husband is set on BAli I am not much of a Beach person. I find hong kong appealling to me but my husband is afriad it is not child friendly. As you can probably tell we are open to sugguestions in how we can plan this family trip.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:59 PM

Singapore is a fine destination with kids. There are lots of things they will enjoy doing during the day while you are out shopping and dining.

The Grand Hyatt has an excellent location near the intersection of Scotts Road and Orchard road. There is plenty of shopping within an easy stroll. Other hotels that have a great location are the Raffles Plaza and Swisshotel Stamford, both located above the Raffles City Shopping Center.

Bali is a wonderful destination, and isn't really what one thinks of as a beach resort. Indeed, you might want to stay inland near Ubud rather than near the beach. There are so many interesting cultural things to see and do (as well as great shopping) on Bali. I think it's an excellent combination with SIngapore. I like to choose destinations that offer contrasts, so I wouldn't choose either KL or Hong Kong in combination with Singapore, simply beacuse they are all big cities, even though they are quite different from each other.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 02:55 AM

We got to Singapore all the time and always bring our kids. Between the dolphin show on Sentosa, zoo and night safari, bird park, gardens, aquarium...I could go on forever, there is tons to do with them.

We like to get a serviced apartment, which are cheaper than getting two rooms. Just like Dubai (where we also took our kids) these serviced apts are all over. For location, I'd recommend The Ascott on Scotts road or Somerset Orchard, both run by the Ascott group. At about 220 S$/night for a 2 BR, you can't go wrong. Making in room breakfast, having laundry facilities, and a pool at ideal locations...win win situation.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:48 AM

There is so much for kids in Singapore as others have already mentioned. We stayed at the Crown Prince for about SGD 140, it's not a 5 star but great locations and good overall standard, that is very rought USD 85 and there was 'no charge' for the kids !! We just had to pay for their breakfast. We didn't bother looking at the pool but I believe they had one.
I agree that if you are from Dubai and you are staying in Singapore KL or HKG would be another city. Ubud in Bali is an idea if you are into lush landscapes and relaxation, very much different. If you did Bali you could get a thru ticket with Singapore Airlines DXB-SIN-DPS (Bali).
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Singapore is a great place. I vacation there regularly. I don't have kids, but one day, while dinig at a Spanish restaurant in the Chijmes complex, I noticed a woman sitting next to me. She had 4 small kids between the ages of about 9 months and 5 years old. We struck up a conversation and I asked her how she did it with all of those kids! She was from England and she and her husband had been living in Singapore for about 5 years and she said that Singapore was a great place to live in with kids and that it's an easy place to have kids in. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Everyone thank you so much for your help. My husband and I decided we will spend a week in Singapore and then go to Hong Kong for the other week. We are now deciding on our accomodations. We hsve points with Starwood, Hilton and Hyatt so we would like to use these chains. In Singapore we want to be in the middle of all the shopping. In Hong Kong we want to have a good view of Victoria Harbour and also be next to the shopping, resturants and the star ferry. Which of these chains fits our criteria?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:52 PM

In Singapore, the Grand Hyatt meets your ctireia - right in the middle of shopping.

In Hong Kong, the Sheraton (Kowloon) meets your criteria - you can get a room with a view of the Harbor, and you are just minutes (walking) from the Star Ferry.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM

The only Hilton hotel in Hong Kong is the 5* Conrad. It's on top of the Pacific Place mall on Hong Kong Island. Very tall, beautiful hotel, and fairly convenient. However, it's a bit of a walk to the Star Ferry. And its view of the harbor is from the Hong Kong side, not from Kowloon. Still very nice hotel.

Starwoods' hotel in Hong Kong is the Sheraton. Its location in Tsimshatsui is excellent, across the street from the Peninsula and the InterContinental. The better "Tower" rooms have good harborviews. But this is just a 4* hotel, not 5.

Two Hyatts in Hong Kong. One is the older Hyatt Regency on Nathan Road. Very convenient in the heart of Tsimshatsui, and MTR is at its front door. But no harborview, and only a 4* hotel. It'll be closed and demolished later this year for a new shopping mall.

The other one is the Grand Hyatt at the Convention Center in Wanchai. It's on the water, and is close to the Star Ferry between Wanchai and Tsimshatsui (but not the "original" route of Central-Tsimshatsui). But its a walk to the MTR, and not the most convenient. However, it's an excellent 5* hotel.

If you only count the view, Star Ferry and convenience, I think the Sheraton is the best. But it's not the best hotel in the group. If I have lots of points to spend, I'll pick the Conrad.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice. Well, we have decided to stay at the grand hyatt in Singapore and in the sheraton in Hong Kong.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM

combining bali and sinapore is a natural...bali is very child friendly...there are great places to stay...i would think HK would not be especially child friendly...there is fabulous shopping in HK however...bali has shopping but of a different sort...bali generally is very inexpensive...hire a driver and stop your activities when the kid is tired...hire someone to be with the child when you want to your...they can just stay near the car... your hotel can arrange this...there are fabulous hotels at every level in bali...