Singapore or Java?

Search

Singapore or Java?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore or Java?

We are traveling to Bali Oct 26-Nov 11 and were planning on spending 4 nights in Singapore (we have never been there). But now were considering skipping Singapore and spending the time in Java. We are also spending 10 nights in Bali. Any thoughts...?

I thought the trip was set now I'm second thoughts.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Typically, Singapore is a better stop over, as that's a major gateway to Asia. If you wanted to go to central Java, you'd have to fly into Singapore first then on to Solo on SIlk Air, or to Jakarta first then on to Jogja. The logistics will likely dictate your choice. You don't want to spend too much of your vacation in airports!
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 07:21 PM

I'm in Singapore right now and have to say that unless you are really into shopping it's not got a lot going for it.

In the forty years I have been coming through here they have managed to turn it from the sort of place you might consider exotic into just another international stopover.

Java on the other hand is a dream destination for those prepared to go it alone, using public transport and so on - not easily managed by any means, but most rewarding if you are into that sort of thing.

I have only scratched the surface so far, going to Jogjakarta and one of its beaches, and to Solo. But I'll be back, not least to see the sunrise on Mt Bromo and to visit Borobudur.

If you are serious about getting off the beaten track at all (if there is a beaten track) you would be well advised to get some sort of grasp of the Indonesian language first.

Harzer
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Lisa, Were you inspired by the other thread, Java or Sri Lanka? I am an ardent Java fan and think that Yogya/Borobudur makes a nice companion to Bali.

Having said that I like Singapore too -- though it couldn't be more different from any place in Indonesia. Singapore, like Hong Kong, are international cities with Chinese/Asian overtones. Bali, Yogya and even Jakarta are really Asian destinations (for better or worse.)

I'd recommend that you plan your trip in the opposite direction -- Singapore 2 nights to get over jet lag and acclimate to the climate, Yogya/Borobudur 2 nights, then on to Bali.

I'm based in Indonesia now but when I lived in New York I frequently traveled to Bali with a stop over in Singapore. Arriving Singapore was always such a letdown after Bali.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

The way that the flights works, I have no choice but staying 1 night in Singapore on the return. My original plan was to stay 3 nights in Singapore first then 10 in Bali. Does it sound reasonable to go directly to Java one landing in Singapore. Our flight gets into Singapore at 5:35 am.

My main interest in Java is Borobudur, so where do you recommend staying (in the event that I cannot afford Amanjiwo)?

I have been tossing around the idea of Java since we began planning the trip in April.

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 02:22 AM

lisa, you can fly non-stop from Singapore to Solo (Surakarta) on Silk Air or to Yogya on Garuda. Flights are limited however so it depends on the day of the week that you want to travel. Otherwise the best route is to connect through Jakarta to Yogya. It's bound to be inconvenient, but there are quite a few options. I generally stick with Garuda within Indonesia, not because it's particularly good, but because it's the least bad.

The Amanjiwo at Borobudur is by FAR the best choice. After that there's a big gap. I like the Hyatt in Yogya proper, which is about an hour from Borobudur. It's simple, but clean and well run and the grounds give you a little relief from the crush of Yogya. A lot of Europeans like the Melia, but I think it's a little worse for the wear.

The Manohara is budget hotel right on the grounds of Borobudur. I've never stayed there so I can't comment except to say that it looks reasonably basic and they can get you into Borobudur before it opens in the morning.

I just realized that your dates will overlap with Ramadhan, not the best time for travel in Java as many performances are cancelled and people are out of sorts. The fasting month will be roughly October 3 to November 2. Then the big holidays will be November 3-13. A lot of people travel during this time so flights within and to/from Indonesia can be quite full.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

So being that it is a holiday that we would be in Java (Oct 28-Oct 31) is it still worth it?

If we do decide to go to Java, is there a direct flight to Bali?

Also, what do you think of Losari Coffee Plantation?
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the other post Java or Sri Lanka did give me an idea to post my question. After reading responses about Java made me rethink Singapore.

Thanks
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Lisa, as much as I would like to encourage you to visit Java, I would have to say that Oct 28-Oct 31 wouldn't be good dates. This is the end of the fasting month and everyone is feeling pretty exhausted with the whole experience. The Kratons (palaces)are very somber during Ramadhan and don't have the usual constant performances, the gamelans and dancing. In Yoyga, many restaurants will be closed during the day. Not all, of course, as there are still a lot of tourists, so there's no problem with getting a meal, but you'd notice the difference in energy level. The hotels function as usual, except that the staff is listless.

I doubt that the Aman or Borobudur would be affected too much, though. I'd check with the manager for details.

"If we do decide to go to Java, is there a direct flight to Bali?" Yes, there are many flights from Yoyga, Surabaya and Jakarta to Denpasar.

"Also, what do you think of Losari Coffee Plantation?" Haven't been there yet, but the manager at the Aman recommended it. The surrounding area is very beautiful, but it's still an hour's drive from Borobudur.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Would it be better if we waited until the end of the trip and went to Java? The dates would be November 6-10?

Thank you so much for all your advice, it has been very helpful.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:23 AM

The big holidays that follow the fasting month will take place on November 3-5. The holidays are called Lebaran in Indonesia.

Unofficially most people take a week to ten days off. Millions travel to their home villages at this time, so transportation is difficult.

I should think that November 6-10 would be an okay time to be in Yogya as long as you don't plan on traveling by train (or bus, god forbid!).

Borobudur will be packed with locals on holiday but if you stay at the Aman you most likely could avoid the crush by going early or late.

A lot of businesses close for a week because they have no workers. The hotels of course will be open but shops and restaurants could be affected.

I'm not sure about the Kratons. After you've chosen a hotel, you could ask them for advice on what to expect during this period as it happens every year.

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I mentioned on the other post about Java that I had intended to return to Java in November, 2004 as part of a longer trip that included Lombok. Because we were traveling right after Ramadan (hari raya it's called in Malaysia) we were unable to get the plane reservations we wanted into and out of Java. Basically, the logistics got so complicated that I gave up. (And I don't give up easily!) You may want to save Java for another trip. It's really not the best time to try to travel there.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Aside from the problems with flights, are there any other reasons not to go in November. Providing we can get flights easily would you then recommend going?
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM

I'm not a big fan of Singapore. It has wonderful hotels and food but is just too "Americanized" for me in that it is just one big shopping mall. On the other hand, there are certainly enough things to do to occupy 3 days and many people like it much more than I do.

Borobodour is absolutely incredible -- one of the top places I have ever been-- but it sounds like your dates are not great for going there.

Have you considered other gateway destinations?
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

We will be flying from Chicago to Newark, then Newark non-stop to Singapore on Singapore Airlines. That's why we originally chose Singapore. I would love to go to Hong Kong but really like the idea of flying non-stop to Singapore.

Have you been to Angkor Wat. Does Borobudur compare. We were in Siem Reap 2 years ago and absolutely loved Angkor.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Borobudor is wonderful. It is totally different from Angkor (which I also loved).

The reason I am less than enthusiastic about your plan for Java is: traveling during or right after Ramadan is a problem in terms of securing transport, many restaurants will be closed, or, once they reopen, so packed you can't get reservations, the attractions like Borobudor and Prambanan will be packed with local visitors (and I would guess the Ramayana ballet will be too).

I would also recommend more than 2 days in the Jogja area, as there is a lot to see and do.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Borobodour is completely different from Angkor. First, it isn't a city. But architecturally it is absolutely as incredible and for my money much more spiritual.

Have you already booked your flights?
If you want to go to Hong Kong (a much better choice than Singapore in my opinion) you could fly Cathay Pacific non stop from either New York or LA.