Reload this Page >

from Singapore on to...???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 04:05 PM
Natalie

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to South Asia/Pacific for 2-3 mo.We will be using Singapore as a home base because his mother lives there. Any suggestions on places to visit with cheap air/bus/train fare in and out of Singapore? We are on a budget so I suppose Australia and New Zealand are out of the question, (or are they?) I am interested in anyplace fairly safe but exciting and memorable also. We've both never been south of Hawaii except for quick trip to Thailand, so anything sounds good, we just don't know where to start.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 05:01 PM
Kathie

Singapore is a great home base for seeing lots of SE Asia. Closest are Malaysia and Indonesia. You should be able to get a cheap airfare from SIngapore to Bali (try Singapore Airlines or Silk Air) or to many places in Malaysia. Both Singapore Air and Malaysia Air fly to many places in Malaysia.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
uni

Natalie,<BR>I'd recommend heading east to Bali for a couple of days. Much slower relaxed pace, compared to Singapore. In Bali, buildings can be no taller than the palm trees!<BR>I stayed at the Nusa Dua Resort and enjoyed my stay thoroughly.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:50 AM
aurora

we were in singapore last year & proceeded for a week's stay in Kuala Lumpur. I'd advise you to take a bus from Singapore to Johore Bahru(you pay in S $) & from Johore, there are lots of air-con buses to KL (you pay in ringgit, thus, saving a lot!)Stay within the "Golden Triangle" where all the "action is"!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:41 PM
orgy7

if you need too fly anywhere it may be cheeper too leave out of Johor Baharu or KL rather then S'pore. <BR>of course you could check out the malaysia airlnes all asia pass, which would take you all over the plce, but you'd have too return in and out of KL..

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Jen

You'll have plenty to see in SEA without going to Australia or New Zealand, but if you still want to, wait until you arrive in SEA and then check out airfares to wherever you might want to go. Sometimes there are some pretty sweet deals from the Asian side of the Pacific. <BR><BR>I agree the all-asia pass (Malaysian Airlines) might be a good idea, but again, KL would then become your "hub." Silk Air does a lot of r&r type destinations out of Singapore, though if you want to fly anywhere in Malaysia do take a bus to JB, as it'll save you some money to fly from there. Say if you wanted to go to Malaysian Borneo, for example. KL's close enough to bus it. And don't miss Melaka, on the way!