Round trip transportation -- Kuala Lumpur/Singapore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're just booking a Borneo trip through Friendly Planet which ends in Kuala Lumpur on October 27. We have the option of extending our time for independent travel as long as our return flight leaves from Kuala Lumpur, and we are thinking of adding Singapore. In looking at airfares for that date (Kuala Lumpur/Singapore), Kayak lists fares from $202 for Japan Airlines to about $270 for Malaysia Airlines. Those fares are doable, but I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for other options? Other air packages or a trusted agent who could put together an air/hotel package with airport transfers? I've also looked through internet sites for train options, but if I'm reading the schedules correctly, those appear to take almost a day's travel each way. Too many hours for us. Any input would be very welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 09:23 AM

take a look at both tiger air and air asia for fares way way below that level....just watch out for baggage limits...

you can also take an express bus and the train too, i believe
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 09:23 AM

langkawi and bali are also nice alternative places to visit from K/L
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Penang or Langkawi are short hops from KL, so you might want to consider those rather than Singapore.

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks "r" and Kathie for such speedy replies. I appreciate the time you've taken to help us in this planning stage.
Barbara
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Jed

Hi Barbara - There is a revival of your post from last year asking about Crown Plaza JFK. Did you stay there? Would you care to share your experience on that thread, so that we may all benefit from it? Thanks.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34804346
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM

AFAIK budget airlines are still barred from the KL - SIN route. Only flag carriers are allowed.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM

We took the Super VIP air conditioned bus from Singapore to KL costing us about $40++ @ tix about 4-5 years ago. It was a 5 hour trip either way but it was very comfortable & a very pleasant trip. Its interior looked & felt like BIZ seats. A selling point for us was the AVOD & games they had on board, food was also available. Just checked the website & it looks like they have had a major fleet & logo change. I am not sure if it was AEROLINE that we took but here is their link. I can't recognize anything anymore...........

https://www.aeroline.com.sg/bus_features.html

I went through all the issues of air vs Bus & with 5 of us, if I remember right, 1 tix with the major airlines, it cost us close to our entire bill for the bus. Also considered the 45 minute drive to the airport & vice versa, the 1 hour pre departure check in time ( 2 for us since we have so much luggage & KT always want to be early !), this option worked real well for us. It also gave us a chance to see a refreshing, green side of Malaysia before we got to the city.

Here is a Bus vs Air discussion I found.

http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=10661
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 05:58 PM

No wonder I could not recognize Aeroline, it was TRANSTRAVEL we rode with.

http://www.transtar.com.sg/firstclass.php
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Budget airlines have been allowed on the KUL-SINH routwe since February. I posted on that a while back, I will try and find and move it up.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM

rhkkmk is right budget airlines are now permitted to fly the KL/SIN route. There's also jetstar which you can check out.