Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

View from the plane arriving in Singapore then Bali from U.S.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying into Singapore then on to Bali at the end of August. Any thoughts on which side of the plane might have the best view? I know that flight paths can be changed, just trying to pick the most likely side at the onset.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

-Dianne
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 01:40 PM

Warm welcome to Fodors, Dianne, from a fine Saturday morning in our sweet home of Singapore. Congratulations on your forthcoming visit to SIN and Bali; should be a lovely time.

Regarding best aerial views flying into our Singapore, I've been slightly partial to the "left side" (say, seat 2A, for example) for a number of years. One reason is simply nostalgia, as on occasion, I can make out certain Singapore landmarks first encountered ~ half-century back, travelling to SIN with my parents and siblings as a rather young lad. My most recent Singapore arrival was ~ eight days back, a work-related Singapore Airlines flight 607 from Incheon, S. Korea; fine as ever and a joy to be back home. (Will also add that the "right side" is also perfectly acceptable for SIN arrival and departure. Indeed, some of my business colleagues prefer the right side at all times; personal preferences.)

As for beloved Bali, that's a near yearly holiday destination for us (certainly yearly for the mrs.) and we do tend to fly on the left side going and returning. Have always had great flights and views, via "our" Singapore Airlines -- and SilkAir.

[Concerning Bali, should have more to report on the Mandarin Oriental's future Bali resort. Flying to Hong Kong later today for a week's work, including time and meetings at the MO's HK property. Never a dull moment in the "high-end" lodging industry.]

Savour your planning, Dianne; happy for you. Should you ever desire Singapore (and even Singapore Airlines) recommendations, honoured to assist. Warm Saturday and weekend wishes to you and all from SIN,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Robert, for your helpful post! Taking you up on your offer to provide more advice, I am choosing between the Ritz Carlton Hotel and The Fullerton for 3 nights, I think I like the location of these hotels and I'll be traveling alone so want a comfortable location. Also, I'm a "view" person, any thoughts between the two?

Any thoughts on "must do's" while I'm there? I live in Chicago and love seeing architecture, natural settings, the Zoo, etc.

Thanks,
Dianne
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 02:25 PM

You are most welcome, Dianne; pleasure. Just catching up with this thread from a fine, early Friday morning in beloved Bangkok (another cherished locale).

Have never stayed at your two listed options, The Fullerton and Ritz Carlton (before purchasing a residence in SIN, the Four Seasons was my primary Singapore business travel hotel), but have dined at both properties, as well as attending various receptions and meetings. At present, am slightly partial to The Fullerton and her history, as recently enjoyed another joyous family reunion at the hotel's Jade restaurant, as noted on my profile page.

Both hotels should be quite adequate for your needs; they are class operations. Depending upon your room category (and budget), both properties offer fine views. Staying at The Fullerton, try for a lodging that permits access to the hotel's Straits Club offerings. For the Ritz, try for a category level permitting access to her Club Lounge. I've enjoyed some most acceptable meetings and times in those lounges; best of booking, lodging, lounging fortune to you.

As for activities in our fine home of Singapore, so much to suggest. One primer is that ever-evolving website: yoursingapore dot com/ One suggestion is to allow plenty of pre-Bali departure time at "our" Changi airport. Love Changi and looking forward to flying back to her from BKK this Sunday evening. Your August visit will coincide with various, ongoing 50th anniversary festivities; enjoy.

Have fun planning, Dianne. All for now from near end-of-week meetings in Bangkok - and early Valentine's Day wishes to you and all (can assure you, certain hotels in the City of Angels put on quite the romantic evening celebrations),

robert
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 06:32 PM

Hi Diane, if your visit coincides with our National Day on 9 August ( our Jubilee year SG50 ) then the Fullerton would be better as there will probably be road closures in front of the Ritz. Both hotels you mentioned, as many others here in Singapore, are of very high standard so no worries. The Fullerton will give you a wonderful view of the Bay and all the festivities of the National Day and the fireworks as well that evening. I would go for the Fullerton with a view of the Marina Bay.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

I'm just now returning to Fodor's Forums, sorry for the delay in reading both of your wonderful replies. I think I'll choose the Fullerton, and will be able to get the Straits Club through the travel agent who is part of the Virtuoso group. I won't be there for National Day, am leaving Chicago August 26th (I think), will be in Bali as a pre-voyage extension of a trip with Lindblad Expeditions that goes to Borneo among other places including an Orangutan sanctuary. We disembark in Singapore so wanted to stay for several days to see the area plus reorient to civilization!
After I get the hotel booked, will have some time to plot my sightseeing. Again, thanks to both of you for you great ideas.

-Dianne