Taking kids (8&6 yrs) to singapore in Nov

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, this is my first time posting on here.

I'm taking my kids to Singapore in Nov. and was wondering if anyone has tried the singapore airlines stopover packages offered on their website? Which hotel would you recommend? Which location would be good?

Also, I have 4 full days there .. what do you think I should do with the kids?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ren
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 02:23 PM

I don't have kids, but have vacationed in Singapore pretty regularly over the last decade.

As for the Singapore Air packages, I would take advantage of them. They usually have some very good offers.

My best friend, also vacations there and has brought her daughter along. I don't know what hotels they're offering in your package, but when my best friend bought her package I told her to select the Hotel Rendevous. She loved the location and still only uses that hotel although her daughter is 21 now.

The location is very good... tons of buses are right at the bus stop right in front of the hotel and the Dhoby Daut MRT (subway station) is right across from the hotel and to the right of the YMCA International House Hotel...where I've personally stayed for a decade.

This area is right at the beginning of Orchard Road and one very short MRT stop to the heart of Orchard Road.
Plus, since the MRT added new lines, one can go from Dhoby Gaut MRT station to Clarkes Quay MRT station in one stop. That line has been there only a few years. It's especially nice to go there in the evening and stroll around and eat.
Type in SINGAPORE in the SEARCH box above as we've written a LOT on Singapore and in detail. It's a great place and very easy to get around in. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Hi Ren,

Who better to answer this question than a Singaporean herself! Me!

One of the better area to stay is in the Orchard Road area where you are are in the heart of everything! Any budget you have in mind so that I can recomend a hotel?

Also, for your kids, Singapore has a world class zoo which you can bring them to visit. Apart from that, we have beautiful gardens as well as a water theme park to get wild and wet! Please see the links below.

http://www.wildwildwet.com/

You can also bring them to watch a movie in a dome shaped theater 180 degrees all around. It is 3D so imagine how cool that would sit with your kids!

http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/otmovie.jsp?type=8

Getting around is extremely easy too. You can take the bus, MRT as well as taxis to get around. It is all at a fixed price for locals and foreigners alike.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 10:17 PM

We've taken our girls to Singapore many times over the last 5 years and we love it! Depending on where you are coming from, different things may appeal to you...For example, living in Asia, we are thrilled to go to Borders bookstore and can spend hours there!

One of our favorite family hotels is the Shangri-La; they have a good gym for the parents, large rooms, and a fun pool. Breakfast buffet (which is almost too fabulous!) is usually included.

Things to do:
*Night Safari at the Singapore Zoo
*Dinner and walking along the riverfront at night (usually lots going on there
*Little India
*Sentosa Island and Gondola ride
*Botanical gardens (Orchard road area)
*Shopping, eating, walking! Try the food stalls and Chili crab!
*You may have time for a trip to a nearby island

Have fun!

Old Oct 9th, 2008, 09:22 AM

I second the Zoo, and also the Singapore Flyer. The kids will love it.

Also, they should have a great time at the Hawker Centres. SIN is very safe and the people could not be nicer. Have fun.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM

The Zoo is a must. Get there early and book a breakfast with the Oragutang experience. It is not expensive and you can get up close and personal. It is a full day to see it all so dont plan anything for the afternoon. They also have a Night Safari which we did on a seperate day but I would rate the day Zoo as the first preference.

Sentosa Island is great for kids. THe Gondola ride is a fun way to get there and the Aquarium and War Museum are worth a visit.

A boat trip on the river is scenic and fun and if you get on one with a commentary,very informative.