Baan Orapin in Chiang Mai

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baan Orapin in Chiang Mai

Spygirl or others-- can you give more information on this B and B? We're very interested in it. We're thinking of spending a week or two in Chiang Mai and are considering renting one of their villas. It's 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, dining room, kitchen and study for $370 a week. Alternately we might get two rooms.

We want something other than a big hotel and had been thinking about Tamarind Village but this looks even better to me. Would love to hear more about it from those who have seen or stayed in it.

Thanks
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:41 AM

Hi Gloria-yes I can give you more information, and am planning to stay there, next year! -my best intentions to be there this year went awry!

First of all, it comes highly recommended by a friend who works in BKK-I have emailed the owners a number of times, and have been impressed with the quality of their responses, as well as their excellent English.

This is what I know of their villas (do you already have this information?) First of all the villas are in the middle of, by all accounts, a "splendid" teakwood mansion/family compound. They are 2 bedroom villas, wooden, two floors, one with an ensuite bath in the master on the second floor, the second bath on the first floor, 2 tvs, international cable, air-con., full kitchen, living room and study. They normally do not rent these by the week, only monthly, however, that is changing. For 2005, I was told by Anuchana (one of the owner/proprietors) that the weekly (not monthly) rate for the villas would be 15,000 baht or US 388. They have now apparently decided to rent the villas for one week stays or more.

For the non-villa rooms, they offer a 10 percent discount on stays of one week or more. Considering at least one of the rooms on the website is a suite, with balcony, that seems a good deal on top of an already great daily rate.

This B and B is located in a trendy neighborhood of C. Mai, the historic Wat Gate, on the east side of the Ping River. The area is a few minutes walk from the Gallery and Riverside restaurants, but also from those trendy Thai home-furnishing stores (think upscale Crate and Barrel mixed with Pier 1) which I also like-and want to re-visit! I think the place is ideal, and I like the vibe I get from the proprietors-very laid back. (Actually, C.Mai has been described as the laid back L.A. to BKK's charged up New York- I don't this comparison is at all inaccurate).

Anuchana informs that if you wish to rent in November and December, it is best to reserve asap, as they are 90 percent booked for those months by September. She also plans to put out pictures of the villas on their website soon, so you can get a better idea of what they look like.

Baan Orapin doesn't have a pool, it does have a cafe/terrace. In this sense, it is not the full service property that is Tamarind Village (although I've heard good things about T.Vill., I'll also read somewhere where some of the rooms are dark), but for me, it sounds ideal, as I plan to spend a few days in C. Mai this next time around.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:08 AM

Hi Spygirl! The Thai upscale furnishing place sounds very interesting. do you have the name of the store? We'll be staying at the Four seasons how do we get to this store? They have a shuttle to town, can we walk it from there or is it better take a cab from the hotel?With regards to the things sold in the store, are they different from the ones you can get in the night market or the handicraft road? I'm travelling with my husband and I need alternatives for my shopping. If i have time to "really look" then the night market and bargain shopping would be something I would rather do. However if this is not possible, then I would like to go to a store with beautiful home furnishings where I can quickly choose and buy what i want. Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:02 AM

Martinan- I just attempted to post a thorough response to your question-however, as is usual on this board, it disappeared when I hit the post button, and I did not save it before hand! I'm frustrated by this repeated problem, will try later to re-create it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 01:05 PM

Thanks spygirl! Appreciate the effort. I know what you mean about responses not being able to post. I guess this forum gets very busy. Will eagerly wait for your reply.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Spygirl-- thanks for the info. We'll probably go in Jan or Feb. Hope to nail down the dates by March so will be able to reserve early. It really looks like exactly what we want. But I'd love to be able to hear from someone who has actually stayed there.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:43 PM

This is the first time today that I can actually post without trying 10 times-I think there was a server error or something-I was soooo frustrated! Anyway, I'm glad the info. was helpful-however, if you'll be there in February, I should be there in early January 2006-so perhaps I'll be able to report back before you go. On the other hand, CJ on this board will be in C. Mai in the next few weeks, and she said that she would go and check it out as well.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

It would be great if CJ would check it out. I also just gave the address to friends of mine who will be in Chiang Mai next week and asked them to check it out if they can.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:33 AM

I'm so excited by the pictures - and recco from Spygirl - that we're planning on stopping to take a look at Baan Orapinwhen when we arrive in Chiang Mai, before we check into our (one night already paid for) hotel. I'll be sure to post about it! One week from today we're on our way to BKK and I can't remember the last time I was so excited by a vacation. With all due respect to my boyfriend (who's been there, but not in the last 15 years) I must say that most of my anticipation is due to everything that I've learned from Fodor's. I'm more than happy to give something back!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

That's great. Thanks so much for checking it out.

This forum really is fabulous. I don't know how I ever travelled without it!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Hello all! I am also planning on staying at this B and B for a week in November. I am a little concerned that it does not have a pool. Did any of you find yourselves really missing that? On another hand I am thinking that we will be so busy while in CM that we probably wouldn't use it.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:13 PM

sdpt-no, not at all in CM-in BKK a pool is really a necessity. But I think you've got it exactly right- you'll be so busy with shopping, sightseeing (there are a number of interesting temples in town, besides Doi Suthep-make sure and do a tuk-tuk tour around the city moat at night-the wall is lit up, and it's quite lovely!-that you won't be even miss it- I didn't think about using the pool the last time I was there- and I stayed
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:47 PM

oops-that last post got cut off (geez, either you can't post and your post gets deleted, or you accidentally hit the post button, and it posts immediately-can't win!).

I was trying to say that my hotel had a pool and I didn't use it at all. Anyway, we'll definitely be interested in hearing from you and CJ on Baan Orapin - the location of the B and B is in a great neighborhood-the Charoen Rat Rd. is a 5 minute walk away, where there are a number of Thai "lifestyle" stores that you may want to browse through: (Martinan- this is for you!)

Oriental Style-this is one really to explore-two stories-housed in a teak heritage bldg.-textiles and other Thai home furnishings, as well as some Thai and Burmese antiques-was started by an Australian woman who sold the shop not long ago, I understand. Oriental Style also has a restaurant called Oriental Style. Adjacent to this shop is Vila Cini (mostly modern Thai home decor-you frequently see their shop advertised in CM magazines); Khamphan-mix of modern and antique, and antique textiles.

There are many more such shops in CM, but these are concentrated together on one road (there are others here as well). Since you're staying at 4 Seasons-there is a shop located across the way from there-Lanna House, which I understand has a great selection of Burmese lacquerware.

After you finish shopping on Charoenrat, you can then go have a drink and dine at the lovely Gallery Restaurant (where Hillary Clinton dined when she came to Chiang Mai)located riverside-great fresh grilled fish, good drinks and live Thai music playing in the evening at dinner.

You asked whether these shops are also in the Night Market-some do. Chilli's, a well-known antiques shop, which supposedly supplies many Bangkok antique dealers with inventory, has had a stall in the Night Mkt., but don't know whether they still do.

Try also and go out to Wuo Lae Rd.(sp?) otherwise known as the "silver" road-where the silver artisans live and work. There are excellent hand-made stainless steel flatware sets to be purchased here, among other silver pieces. I saw a lovely hand-made set of flatware from CM in Bangkok, 24 pieces, but they wanted too much, so I decided to wait until I come back to CM, where I can purchase a set at the source.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:54 AM

Spygirl!!! I thought you forgot about me! Haha! Thanks for the info. Will check out these places.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Spygirl or sdptagirl --Do you (or anyone else) know what the deposit/cancelation policy is at Baan Orapin? I've emailed her but haven't gotten a response yet. It sounds as though you need to reserve way in advance.

As for a pool -- it's the last thing I ever need or want so I'm thrilled that I don't have to pay for it!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Just found out that friends of mine will be staying at Baan Orapin the first weekend of Feb. so we'll get another first hand account!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Really? How did your friends find out about Baan Orapin, Gloria? And here I thought no one knew about this place!

No, I don't know what the cancellation policy is, Gloria, sorry.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Spygirl-- I told them about it and they emailed and got a room!

How did you originally hear about it?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:40 PM

I had heard about Baan Orapin from a friend of mine who works in BKK, who said it was a new B and B just opened year before last, I believe, and she knew of a couple who had stayed there, and were quite enthusiastic about their stay. She game me their website, and I took it from there.