Chiang Mai: Yaang Come Village

Jun 27th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Chiang Mai: Yaang Come Village

My family and I intend to spend 2 or 3 days in Chiang Mai next October, after 7 days in BKK. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? Any tips about this hotel or any other ( about US$ 100,00), how many days in CM, what to see, etc will be very appreciated.THANKS again.
Jun 27th, 2006, 03:09 AM

We stayed there last December/January. We spent 5 days there first, then 3 days/2 nights at elephant camp, then another night at YCV in Chiang Mai. Ask for a room facing the pool...some face out into another building. Superior rooms are slightly smaller than deluxe and don't have a bathtub. We had one extra bed in a deluxe room with plenty of space. The staff is lovely. Aree the manager is welcoming and helpful. Their restaurant serves a nice pomelo salad.

The Elephant Conservation Center is where we did this...it was a highlight of our trip...but refrain from swimming with the elephants as we think that's how our daughter got so sick a bit later in our trip.

There is a lot to see in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area. Doi Suthep is a beautiful temple. There are plenty of other wats in the city if you really like temples. Some of them are stunning, too, though I don't have their names right in front of me. A guidebook will list them.

The Sunday Walking Street market is really fun. It starts about mid day, but really gets going after dark. There are street performers, an intersection filled with chairs so people can get food massages, food stalls, clothes, souvenirs, knick knacks, kitchen goods, soap...you name it. Lots of Chiang Mai residents do shopping here. We much preferred it to the night market near YCV.

There are lots of craft factories you can visit, and lots of shops that sell very nice things, and lots of shops that sell ordinary things. Know what you are looking for and ask Aree at YCV to direct you.

I loved the Oasis Spa (original location), and also enjoyed a 2 hour Thai massage in our room at YCV.

We did an excellent cooking class customized just for the 3 of us with Yui of A Lot of Thai. www.alotofthai.com

There is a tour desk at YCV which can arrange tours (don't do them, too expensive) as well as car/driver. The car and driver is a good option and reasonably priced enough that I can't recall exactly how much it was.

We really enjoyed Chiang Mai, and my daughter and I will spend a couple of weeks there next summer after visiting Angkor Wat (husband has to return to work much sooner than I do).

If possible, I'd give Chiang Mai more than 2 - 3 days...or are you headed elsewhere in northern Thailand?

Jun 27th, 2006, 03:40 AM

I'm with Kim in loving Chiang Mai. I have not stayed at Yaang Come Village but did go to see it and its rooms and it looked very nice. Another option would be Baan Orapin which only has 12 rooms but is wonderful. They also have a 2 bedroom villa which might be perfect for your family. I've been to Chiang Mai about 10 times and have stayed in 10 different hotels (including the 4 Seasons). Baan Orapin is my hands down favorite. It has also gotten wonderful reviews (as has Yaang Come) on this forum. You can also check out reviews of both on www.tripadvisor.com. (Baan Orapin) is listed under B & Bs and inns under chiang mai and yaang under hotels.
Jun 27th, 2006, 03:44 AM

Isn't Baan Orapin getting a pool too? I think I read it would be finished sometime this year? That's the one thing that is an absolute must have for Teaghan. If Baan Orapin had a pool, it would be our top choice too.
Jun 27th, 2006, 04:33 AM

I think there were plans to have a pool built but a few months ago these were on hold. I am not sure what the plans are now. The 2 bed villa looks and sounds lovely but Opas prefers to let it on a long term basis so is only available short term if it has not been otherwise let and only shortly before one's stay. You can book 2 rooms on the proviso that you will move into the 2 bed villa if it is available.
BB
Jun 27th, 2006, 05:56 AM

There have been a good number of reviews of YCV on this board, some giving very specific info about the rooms, breakfast, etc. The Fodors search function works well sometimes and not at others. So try a search on the board and if dosn't turn up much try a variation or try an hour later.
Jun 27th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I think Opas was rethinking the pool. A lot of guests were urging him not to build one (I was one of them). I don't want this very special place to turn into a mini version of other hotels and the ambience changes when there is a pool and probably so will the prices. For me a pool is an absolute waste so it's easy for me to say this. However, there were many other people there when I was who felt the same way.