Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Vietnam by motor scooter...please help me see "unique" sites!

Feb 16th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I am the family trip planner. We live in the USA, and love to see the world. I have planned family trips to Costa Rica, Italy, St. Kitts, etc. using excellent advice from fodorites.

Now my son has the unique opportunity of spending 2 weeks in Vietnam, accompanied by his young friends who are originally from Vietnam. They will fly into Saigon this summer, (June or July), and will stay with various "cousins". They want to tour south and central Vietnam on motor scooters. Knowing I always have an "ear" to fodors, my son has asked me to find out what you all have loved to see in Vietnam.

His friends, who speak Vietnamese, will take care of giving him a cultural introduction to Vietnam. What my son wants to know, is what other aspects of Vietnam are unique and fascinating to an American? Besides culture he is also interested in nature, sports, history, active adventures, and anything that is unique to Vietnam. This is my son's first trip to Asia.

Thanks for helping! Perhaps someday I can also visit Vietnam, with the rest of my family. I will save any info you give me. ( I do not think, however, that you will find me on a motor scooter!)
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:57 PM

Great.
Some places should be added to your son's adventure for nature (fit to 2 weeks only):
- Mekong delta and more around there, from Saigon, but not good for scooter if he wants to see the floating market.
- Black Virgin Mountain (Ba Den mountain), from saigon to Tay Ninh, can do by scooter.
- Cattien National Park, from Saigon.
- Hue city, in the Middle, very interest arrounding on the scooter.
- Myson holy land (in the Middle). Get to Danang, very easy to get there and back in a day with a scooter.
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM

We took a one day tour with Easy Rider motor scooter guides in Dalat and nearby vicinity. We rode on back of the scooters.

I note you say they are interested in South and Central Vietnam, but up North
there is also a Hanoi Minsk Club.

Please do a search on the internet for
Easy Rider Vietnam. Here are some websites:

http://www.exploreindochina.com/message.cfm?id=51

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111100599.html

http://www.break-fresh-ground.com/As...ournal-26.html

Feb 16th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

GreatDeal and IsisMnroe, thanks for the help. I will print out this info so we can do further research.

This trip will be limited to south Vietnam and Central Vietnam. It will be a 2-week trip.

Greatdeal, I will let my son know about the places you recommend which aren't suitable by scooter. I'm sure they can work that problem out.

IsisMnroe, thanks also for the links.

I think this will be an experience my son will always remember, and how great he can do this with his friends, who speak Vietnamese. When he returns he can tell me all about it.
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:08 AM

Melissa5: You're welcome!
Here's another website:

http://www.easy-riders.net/without_flash/html/tours.cfm
Feb 17th, 2006, 04:57 PM

melissa5
i have traveled extensively in vietnam, up and down by moto bike...they don't called them scooters over there....though they generally are 125cc, they are most built in the style of a motocycle. you can tell your son to contact me, or check out my website: stewartsayyah.com. i am a photographer and besides having a lot of photographs
b+w, there is a lot of misc information there regarding biking tours etc. i answer all mail, and think i can pretty much answer any question he might have regarding corcerns or general questions. i have driven over a 100,000km over the last five years there. .....and yea, i think you would do just fine on a moto bike, if you can ride a bicycle yopu can drive one of these bikes, it just looks scarey until you actually get involved...like a lot of things in fact...but in any event, this is a great way to tour vietnam, .....the fact he has some friends there, who can translate for him is of parmount importance, though it is my experience that unless he has bonafide guides (pros +cons), his friends will be new to traveling long distances on a bike touring. very few vietnamese travel about their own country, say in the manner we do here in the west, and those that do, very few do it via bike etc...well i could write a ton on this subject, but if you have any specific questions, regarding most anything ....feel free to contact me...i will do my best to answer
stewart
Feb 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

stewart, thanks very much! Sounds like you've had some great adventures. I'll pass your info on to my son. I also think my daughter would be interested in the fact that you travel and you're a photographer. (She is in college and is trying to combine travel and an artistic nature into one career.)

IsisMnroe, thanks for the new web-site. I'm getting excited about this trip and I'm not even the one going! I can see I'll have to plan a trip to Asia for the rest of my family. None of us have been to Asia yet. So many good countries to visit there...My younger daughter in college wants me to plan a family vacation somewhere in Asia to experience a totally different culture. We were thinking China or Japan, but maybe Vietnam is a good choice, especially as my son can pass on his experiences to us, and we may also be able to get some help from his Vietnamese friends.

Thanks everybody!
Feb 18th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

stewart, I just looked at your web-site, and your photos are very striking. You really have an artistic eye. I'm going to send your link to both son and daughter. Wishing you great light in your work!
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:53 PM

melissa
thank you for your kind words,... regarding a trip to asia, vietnam has much to offer, espically if you are on a tight budget, ...depending on how you desire to travel, vitnam can offer you an out standing vacation,....there is no where i have ever traveled where i have met people more friendlier, open and gracious, combine that with a touching degree of innocence and you have an opportunity for an experience you will never forget. things are changing fast, so i would recomend that you not tary in your decision if you wish to vist, and again, the type of experience you have there depends a lot on what you set out to do, and at what speed. in my travels there, i have seen countless folks 'do' vietnam at a break-neck pace, i often wonder what it is they are experienceing...but then, i don't like coffee, i like tea, but i am aware that there are alot of coffee drinkers out there. so, point is there is just no accounting for taste etc. save my address, and if you ever desire to travel there and wish some questions answered, just drop me a line...like i said, i have visited almost every province, and most of the cities...there are a lot of stimulating enviroments, all different, and extremely rewarding.... if you read any of my site, you know i tend to move at a butterfly's pace, spending a bit of time in almost every place i stop along the road. it suits me in my work, and it suits me as i get to know the country with an intimacy that would be denied to me at a rapid rate of travel. when i travel there, i generaly budget aprox 25 to 30 a day, which includes everything...the bigger cities usually cost me more, the smaller places less, it averages out to about 30 a day...and i am comfortable, that is as comfortable as one can be in tropical heat...thank god for my moto bike to cool me off. i could write tons on my travels there so best for me not to get started...but again, thank you for your kind words regarding my site.
stewartsayyah.com ,
stewart
Feb 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stewart! I will print out and save this info along with your web-site. My son is finding the web-sites given by everybody here helpful.

Stewart, I agree with you, slow travel is the way to truly experience anyplace. Since you like a butterfly's pace, you ought to take a look at www.slowtrav.com That's a web-site for folks who like to travel at a slower pace and really get to know a country. It specializes in Italy but also has forums for Asia and everywhere in the world. You can talk to folks who also like a butterfly's pace!
Jun 26th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

My son returned from Vietnam and he loved it. He didn't want to come home. I think he will definitely re-visit one day.

He said Vietnam seemed more "real" than the USA to him. People were very hospitable. Of course it helped that he was travelling with friends who were originally from Vietnam and who spoke Vietnamese.

He enjoyed the food and has increased his vocabulary of Vietnamese. I also noticed he learned a lot about pronunciation of the language.

He found the prices very inexpensive compared to the USA. He had a suit custom-made for himself at the only tailor in Vietnam who makes suits according to international standards, and paid only a little over $100. You cannot even buy a ready-made suit in the USA for that price. (A local man who was a relative of his friend told him about the tailor.)

He brought me a pretty tea-set as a souveneir.

He ate whatever he wanted, although we had warned him it's best not to eat unpealed uncooked fruits when travelling. He got sick only once on a 3-week trip and the meds he had brought along with him cleared this up quickly. (antibiotic)

Jun 27th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Melissa, I'm so glad your son enjoyed his trip!