Need Island help!

Jun 26th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Need Island help!

Hey all!

So we're going to Thailand in November for our honeymoon (after a 10 day jaunt in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Angkor)

Problem is, I'm racking my brain trying to decide the best island to end the trip on (this is for the actual honeymoon portion of the trip.)

It seems, as always, that travel agents really don't know what they're talking about and all have said 'You MUST go to Ko Samui.'
Well, I've done my research on these boards and it looks like Samui is horribly rainy in late November (not to mention horribly touristy.)

We're looking for someplace serene and beautiful that, while not completely isolated, will afford beautiful beaches, swimming and some quiet and respite from the hordes of camera-clickers. To give you an idea, locally, Kauai is the most 'us' of the Hawaiian islands (the only other islands we've been to).

Where should we go??
Jun 26th, 2006, 09:07 AM

i would call samui one of the lesser touristy islands...the worst is phuket, but unfortunately it also offers the most services....

that side of thailand seems to have the most rain in november...

krabi might be an alternative for you..??

you need to tell us a little more of what you are looking for in a place??
Jun 26th, 2006, 09:08 AM

hua hin is also an alternative....the hyatt there is fantastic...its not an island but gives you a bit of that feeling....koh chang is also an alternative...it is very untouristed and has easy access by air....the amari emerald cove hotel there is very very nice with great amenitites and excellent food...
Jun 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Hopefully this will help clarify--sorry if I didn't go into enough detail before.

My biggest concern is weather (no rain!) We love underdeveloped places--if there's a Starbucks or Burger King to be found, that's a total turnoff. We'd love to find someplace where we can stay in a gorgeous villa on the beach that has some element of feeling away-from-it-all, but isn't completely disconnected from the real world. I've heard areas of Krabi are nice (Ao Nang) and I don't really know anything about Hua Hin.

Does anyone know which side gets the rain in mid to late November? I keep hearing it's Samui and NOT the Andaman side.

Also, does anyone know anything about Phi Phi. I hear they've completely cleared it of all rubble from the tsunami and that people are starting to come back. Anyone been there lately?

Thanks again, everyone, for your suggestions so far!
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:18 AM

The rainy season is winding down on the Phuket side in November (take a look at www.weatherbase.com) The later in November that you go, the better.

There have been a number of recent reports on Phi Phi, which sounds like the sort of place you want, but may also want to consider Koh Lak or Krabi, all are in the area of Phuket, but none are as developed as Phuket.

Note that even Phuket and Koh Samui which have the most development have more seculded places.
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Sounds like you need the Cook Islands in the S. Pacific... (ha ha)

I really enjoy Phuket. There are some quieter beaches, but you still don't have to travel very far to get great food and interesting shopping. You won't escape Starbucks... but it's also easy to avoid touristy areas!

For "isolation" on Phuket, the private retreat, Mom Tri's Villa Royale, might be just what you need. You'll be paying a hefty price though, as November is probably starting a busier season. It's a wonderful place, with excellent restaurant on the property, Mom Tri's Kitchen; plus Mom Tri's Boathouse Grill is "next door" (by quick free shuttle).
Carol
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:51 AM

My vote goes to Koh Chang. We stayed there last December and had a great time. The Amari hotel is excellent.
Jun 26th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Rob,

How funny you shoud mention Koh Chang as I'm starting to hone in on it. Since you've been there, I have a few questions.

Is 4 nights enough there? What else is there to do on the island? Are the beaches swimmable? Snorkeling? I have a million questions, I'm trying to limit them to just a few for you

The Amari looks very nice, although it does look a little mainstream. Would you consider it more Western or more genuine Thai? I just don't want to feel like I'm staying at a Sheraton (with theme restaurants and what not)

I guess I wonder if it's the appropriate place for a couple in their early 30s who are somewhat adventurous...

Thanks again for your suggestion.
Jun 26th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Note that Koh Chang is a malarial risk area.
Jun 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Please educate me. I thought with the vaccines you get (most specifically, malaria shots) before you leave, that wouldn't really pose any sort of concern, would it?
Jun 26th, 2006, 12:34 PM

There is no malaria vaccine/shot. You have to take anti-malarial pills.

Do some reading about travel health issues so you can be informed before you visit your doctor or a travel medicine clinic: www.cdc.gov/travel
Jun 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Wont the best weather by this time be on the Andaman coast - end of monsoon there? I think Ko Chang may still be wet but am quite prepared to be wrong! Check on the 5 year weather reports.

Off Andaman coast - for less developed islands, try Ko Lanta, Khao Yao, Kho Racha, Khao Lak for the type of atmosphere you are envisaging. Krabi is lovely too.
Jun 26th, 2006, 01:47 PM

You're right, Bella, they would be better off on the Andaman coast. Those are pretty much the same suggestions I gave earlier in this thread.
Jun 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM

I would look at the Pimalai on Koh Lanta island, still relatively undeveloped and good weather in November, you can take trips from there and visit Phi Phi island, Koh Lanta is nice and the Pimalai would probably suite you for the honeymoon portion, they have seaview rooms, suites, Pool Villas etc.

http://www.r24.org/beachsiam.com/krabi/pimalai/details/

The Layana is also a good option, they have beach suites and other rooms, cheaper than the Pimalai.

1 hr 20 mins flight bangkok to krabi and then a few hours road/boat.