Phuket vs. Koh Samui?

Search

Phuket vs. Koh Samui?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket vs. Koh Samui?

Thanks in advance to this forum; the details in these posts are unbelievable! I've gone from having no clue about how to start honeymoon planning to almost a full schedule!

We're still trying to figure out our beach time. It will come at the end of our trip, so we're really going to want to relax - by that point, we will have seen Bangkok, Siem Reap and gone trekking!

I'm looking for something not too developed, where we can go snorkeling, eat some fabulous food and chill out. We'd like to spend about $100-$150 per night, for 4 night.

From what I'm reading, Phuket seems more expensive and built-up than Koh Samui; on the other hand, if the best beaches are there, we don't want to miss them.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM

Easy!!! Head for Phi Phi. Photos on the following link. If you want more info....just ask.

http://www.leightravelclub.com/phiphiphotos.htm
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM

Really, which beach to go to depends on when you are traveling. Phuket is rainy when Koh Samui is sunny and vice versa.

Take a look at www.weatherbase.com

For Koh Samui, look at Surat Thani

Also, depending on when you are traveling, a place like Hua Hin (2-3 drive from Bangkok) may have the best weather.

PhiPhi, Krabi, and Koh Lants have the same weather as Phuket.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

We would be there in early Nov...from 11/5 through 11/9.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:05 PM

Early November is a difficult time, as the monsoons are changing from one side to the other. Perhaps JamesA will chime in, but I'm guess that Hua Hin might be your best bet unless you truly aren't bothered by the rain.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM

November to February is the best time to visit the Phuket area. It is also the time of the heaviest rainfall in Samui. That's why I made my suggestion for the south.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:03 PM

The first part of November is typically very wet in Phuket. The later half of the the month is less wet, but as it is the "swing" month when the monsoons move from one side to the other, it is not very predictable. Phuket average a little over 8 inches of rain in November, most of it in the first half of the month. Are you ok with rain or do you feel it would ruin your trip? Being from Seattle, I rather enjoy the tropical rains, but not everyone feels that way!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:29 PM

Hi zinders,

In Phuket area (Khao Lak, Phi Phi, Krabi, Phuket), early November is the end of the rainy season and also beginning of the dry season. You can take a look at the following sites.

http://www.alexmalcolm.net/weather.html
http://www.alexmalcolm.net/weather_f...mber_2006.html

I like Hua Hin, but it is not a tropical beach resort which many honeymooners expect. Hua Hin is a nice place to eat and enjoy luxury hotels, but its scenery, beach, and sea are not really beautiful. Hua Hin is a coastal city mainly for week-end visitors from Bangkok. Comparing Samui or Phuket area to Hua Hin is the same as comparing Hawaii beaches to local beaches in the US.

I remember that there was a trip report last year, whose itinerary is similar to yours. You can search Fodor's by "Bill Thailand trip report".
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:39 PM

both are so touristy, but if really have to choose then it must be samui,

as in phuket everything is overpriced and made for tourist only
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:32 AM

Which would you choose for mid-march? Am leaning toward Samui because there are nonstop flights from HK on Bangkok Air.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:34 AM

I checked out weatherbase and March has the lowest amount of rainfall during the year in Koh Samui, (Surat Thani).
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM

Check the fares on Bangkok Airways, true it's an easy flight. Did you mean 'March' or May ?
Also for Zinders - if you want laid back and aslo want diving perhaps Koh Tao worth a look.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:10 PM

We will be going in March 2008. We are looking for secluded, beautiful vistas. Don't care about nightlife. Somewhat upscale accommodation with good restaurants. A great pool area a must (we prefer swimming in pools) and a nice beach nearby is a plus.

zinders, sorry for piggybacking on your post.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:56 PM

We spent four days in Samui last week (Mar 26-30) and had one big rainstorm while we were there. Lasted about 90 min and then the sun came out. A few intermittent clouds on the other days, which gave a little relief from the very strong sun. I would say Mar is a great time for Samui.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM

Thanks, Lindsey! Where did you stay? Do you recommend one part of the island over another? Liz
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:38 PM

http://thailandforvisitors.com/south/phukvsam.html compares the two iin terms of weather.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

hey, no problem. i think we've decided on Phuket, based on the rain patterns. Still trying to figure out a beach, tho.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM

I'm sure you have made the right choice going for Phuket at that time of year. Now, you are still unsure about which beach. Based on what you want, and it will be your honeymoon,once again I would say Phi Phi. Do a search on this forum for a recent report by ScubaSusie.
During our recent visit there, I took some video of a wedding taking place on our beach. It was idyllic! I will be adding some of this footage to our website shortly. In the meantime, I have added some general video of the island which you might like to take a look at.

http://www.leightravelclub.com/thailand.htm

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:34 AM

The snorkeling is limited around Samui! You can take a day trip to Koh Tao-make sure you go on the motor boat and not the Big Boat that has buffet. You will get more snorkeling time.

Phuket has more snorkel optioms Phi Phi Don, 1/2day tours from Phuket. But Nov. is not ideal. If you can go to either in April the rates go down toward the end of the month based on last year and weather is more certain.
Koh Tao is more for folks wanting night life and wide selection of restaurants and tourist shops.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Look at the Kata Thani resort on Kata Noi beach, Phuket. It's a great resort, several pools, beachfront location, nice restaurants, and it's close to Kata Beach area, which has a bit of shopping (souvenirs) and restaurants at the Boathouse (Boathouse Grill) and Mom Tri's Villa Royale (Mom Tri's Kitchen).

I read in a new guide book (Insight, Thailand) that Kata Noi beach has snorkeling??? That surprised me, but I have to admit, I didn't try the snorkeling there, so I can't dispute or verify the claim!

Carol