Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Looking for the right location on Phuket Island or nearby

Jun 20th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Having read recent items regarding Phuket Island, I thought that some of the members of this chat board, might be able to give advice. Firstly, my wife & I are hoping to meet relatives from the UK midway between Australia & England, for a "beach holiday", and also for scuba diving. We thought of Thailand, and then of Phuket, where I understand you can get one day trips out to the Similian Island or Surin Island for great diving.
My main concern - are the beach locations tooo touristy or tacky (we stayed at Pattaya a few years ago, and didn't like it), are the sea waters clean, sand pure white?, etc, as the glossy travel brochures show. We don't mind staying away from the Patong Beach area. What we are looking for is a "nice" beach resort hotel away from the hustle & bustle, in a quiet area, but still within reach of shops & restaurants by taxi, etc. I've looked at the Phuket website, showing photos of various hotels, but the photos don't really show whats beside or near your hotel.
One travel agent told me that Karon Beach, or Kata Beach is quieter than Patong, is that true? if so, any suggestions of a nice hotel.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Jun 20th, 2006, 05:18 PM

I haven't been there but have been doing research as well and thought I'd suggest the Khao Lak area (north of Phuket) I believe it's the closest to the diving around the Similan Islands and several of the hotels I looked at seemed to cater to dive enthusiasts or folks looking for more nature activities rather than touristy ones.

Other folks here may be able to offer more concrete recommendations, but in the meantime I'd suggest looking into Khao Lak. Sara
Jun 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM

I've been to Phuket four times so far, and have always enjoyed staying on either Kata or Kata Noi beach. Yes, it is quieter than Patong. I would not want to stay on Patong, personally. It's too touristy and too many touts trying to sell you things.

Kata Noi beach, Katathani Resort, is a wonderful place to stay. Or, if you want to pay big bucks for a real treat, look at Mom Tri's Villa Royale. On Kata Beach, look at Mom Tri's Boathouse. I happen to like Kata Noi better than Kata, as far as beach area.
Jun 20th, 2006, 05:39 PM

one problem with khao lak is that it still suffers from tsunmai damage i believe...check this out carefully...

phuket is the most busy of the thai island resorts...but there are areas that are less busy....

if jamesA offers info to you take his advice as it is very reliable...he knows thailand well having lived there for years...

i personally did not find phuket beaches to be pristine...they were not bad just not fabulous...

the areas for snorkeling etc are very nice however...

krabi might be another choice for you and also koh chang (very underdeveloped)...
Jun 21st, 2006, 08:21 AM

Kata beach is very nice, it depends though if you want a hotel or resort that is right on the beach or you don't mind crossing a beach road. Many hotels are 'not' on the beach.
Rates shoot up from November 1st so time of year is important too.
If you want mid range of the beach both the suitably names Kata beach resort and the Karon beach resort offer absolute beachfront and a good value 3 star places with direct access onto the beach. if you want something of a higher class the Kata Thani is a relaibale 'safe bet'.
Choosing which beach is sensible. Patong is very busy and not easy to find right on the beach.
There are other beaches, Surin and bangtao as examples. Kata gives a balance, you can be on the beach but within a tuk-tuk ride into Patong if you want street stalls, lively shopping and lots of restaurants or entertainment.

www.beachsiam.com/kata_beach.html

You can follow thru for Karon_beach or patong_beach etc to see an idea of what is there.

You haven't mentioned flights, note that Singapore Airlines from Australia ( I am guessing you are from Australia ) fly from PER/ADL/MEL/SYD/BNE anything from once a day to 3 times a day flights, and offer great connections into Phuket, if you fly on one of the late night departures you are on Phuket by 9.20 am in the morning! You can book the flight through Singapore Airlines, the connection to/from Phuket is Silk Air which is wholly owned by Singapore Airlines, your bags and boarding cards from Australia take you all the way to Phuket, and from Phuket they check you all the way back to Australia.
Malaysia Airlines fly from all those also but the connections to Phuket are not great as they have only 1 or 2 a day, Silk Air has 3 to 4 per day between Singapore and Phuket and it's a stress free and easy connection.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:15 PM

I stayed in Phuket last year. We stayed at the Marina Hotel on KAron Beach. It was absolutely beautiful. The rooms were a little small but besides that it was outstanding. Included in our stay was breakfst coupons and (1) 7 course meal. WOW!
We were able to book a snorkeling trip,and get tickets and transport to "Fantasea". Don't miss it! It's about a 10-15 minute ride to Patong Beach. The service was great! I would stay there again in a heart beat. I made reservations online and they had a great deal. Check it out and have a great visit.
Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

To everyone who replied - thanks for all the advice. I have printed out this page. I think most of you realised what I was looking for, something nice/quiet, but still close to visit shops/restaurants etc.
Sarah - yes I did think of Khao Lak, north of Phuket Island I believe, however, my travel agent said that some aussies found it a "bit too quiet" (Not that I would mind that) Sarah I will keep Khao Lak in mind as well, thank you.
James A, yes I do live in Australia, Queensland in fact. I have flown with Thai Airways before, enroute to the UK. Our only stopovers in Thailand have been Bangkok, and another a few days stopover at Pattaya (which we didn't really like at all, lots of touts, etc, and lots of Bangkok chic boys)
JamesA - thank you for your advice also, you seem to be the resident expert on Thai matters.
Once again I appreciate everyones input & advice.
Jun 27th, 2006, 07:15 AM

What time of year ? I don't think it was mentioned but you need to watch the weather.