Rajasthan off the beaten path

Jun 12th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Rajasthan off the beaten path

Still rounding up some details for my trip to India, specially in Rajasthan. I would possibly will have the time for two more days in that region. If you were to choose one or two off the beaten path places, ¿which would you choose and why?
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Gilberto - it would help us if you would give a summary of your current itinerary, then we could help with recommendations.
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi Craig. Glad to say hello again.

Well, this is what I have to this date.

Jan 28-31 New Delhi

Jan 31- Feb 1 Depart by plane early morning to Varanasi. Spend the day and the next half day and flight to Agra?

Feb 1-2 Agra

Feb 2-4 Jaipur. Is at this portion of the trip that will need suggestions of where to be heading (maybe two days 4-6). The next destination will be Udaipur (visit Ranakpur on route) (Feb 6-8).

Feb 8-10 Jodhpur

Feb 10-13 Jaisalmer

Feb 13- Back to Jodhpur for a flight to New Delhi arriving late in the afternoon.

Feb 13-15 New Delhi

Feb 16- Fly to US

Of course this route could be changed depending of the suggestions of regarding logistics and best use of travel time.

Jun 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Find a way to see a tiger. Probably Ranthambore.

There is the bird sanctuary at Bharaptur.

By the way, when you are in Agra, make sure you do more than just the Taj.

So Fatepuhr Sikri.
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM

gilawi01,
You might find my trip report helpful, search for "Long India Trip Report---Rajasthan Nov/Dec 04" there are lots of weblinks and specific discussions of hotels what we enjoyed and why.

WE enjoyed anything that took us out into the countryside. We enjoyed the destinations were we drove from one place to another.

I would suggest something between Jodhpur and Udaipur perhaps Rohetgarh or Deogarh. There are also some small heritage hotels near Ranakpur and Kumblagarh. See the Heritage hotel website.

We enjoyed Bundi and particularly Chittorgarh, Bassi and Ravla Khempur (outside of Udaipur) there are links for all of these hotels in the trip report.

Hope this helps. Definately look at i-escape.com for excellent hotel reviews.
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM

I would recommend tripadvisor.com any day of the week over i-escape.com. The later is very limited in countries and choices. That being said, Ranthambore National Park would be a great place to spend two nights. You could get in 3 game drives plus see the 10th century fort. It is also a great peaceful diversion from the crowds of the Indian cities. Highly recommended.
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your quick responses. welltraveledbrit: read your post and had a lot of information very interesting. Will check some of the places you mentioned. Can you specify why Bundi and Chittorgargh are special places to see? How different or similiar to cities like Jodhpur, Jaipur or Jaisalmer? Did you post some photos of those places?
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Gilawi01,
I have lots of photos on our website -
eyebright.com/travels you can clip on India on the map and there are pictures divided by area/town.

We liked Bundi because it's a smaller version of some of the other fort towns. We drove there straight from Udaipur and so it was a easier/more laid back introduction to India. However one section of the road deteriorates close to Bundi and it is VERY slow going.

Chittogarh is very important in the local history...Mughal invasion etc. As you'll see from the pictures it is different from the hill forts you'll see elsewhere. It's a wonderful varied site very popular with India honeymooners with few foreigners.

You could take a 3 night roundtrip from Udaipur to Chittogarh with a stop at Bassi and Ravla Khempur... the places that really remained with us were those where we could walk around smaller villages which make a wonderful contrast to the cities which you will definately see.

Hope this helps!

Tripadvisor is a good resource, however I never think to recommend it because I presume everyone is familiar with it.
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:46 PM

a. Unless you have specific work in Delhi, you are spending almost 5 days?? there (as per your above itin.), a bit too long. Three nights to begin with & a night at the end of your odyssey is fine.
b. From Jaipur take the inner road via Samode to Kuchaman. Stay in a suite. The surroundings are dramatic, repeatedly reminding you that you are in a Rathore fort.
c. From Kuchaman go to Khimsar for overnight & then proceed to Jaisalmer via Osiyan.
d. From Jaisalmer you may drive down to Jodhpur or in between take a drop off at Manwar.
e. From Manwar come to Jodhpur.
f. From Jodhpur drive South to Ranakpur for overnight.
g. Ranakpur to Deogarh & finally into Udaipur.
h. From Udaipur take your flight to Delhi.
i. This (a general outline without minute scrutiny) plan deals with western Rajasthan only. There are multiple options in East too but that will need a complete overhaul of your above itinerary.
All the very best!
Jun 27th, 2006, 05:58 AM

I agree that you should reduce your time in Delhi. My favorite places in Rajasthan were Udaipur, Ranakpur, Mt. Abu,Dungapur, and Kumblagarh. Basically found those places far more memorable and intersting than the usual choices like Jodhpur and Jaipur.
Jun 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM

I am of the view that DELHI-AGRA-faTEHPUR SIKRI-RANTHAMBORE-JAIPUR is enough.

instead of just travel and travel-go for experience the place you are into.

Please do not have attitude of COVERING INDIA as you will end up in just traveling in this case.