What do you think of Icelandair?

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think of Icelandair?

Hi Everyone!!
I was hoping you all could give me some info and advice. I am traveling to Sweden in July (Stockholm) and I am planning to fly Icelandair from Orlando to Stockholm. I see that I will have to change planes in Iceland and that is no problem. But I just wanted to see if any of you have flown with IA lately and what do you think. Have any of you had any luggage problems or had any bags lost? How is their baggage policy? What can you take in the cabin and what do you have to have checked? What is the flights like? Is the Iceland airport easy to navigate to change the planes?
I really appreciate any info and advice
Thanks so much!!
Valerie
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:18 AM

I flew Iceland Air from Orlando to KEF and on to Heathrow in London. The flight from Orlando three days a week. They use a 757, which is not a widebody plane, just 3 seats, isle and 3 seats. No individual televisions in coach but there was entertainment and a movie from televisions over the isle. You pay for ALL drinks except water, coffee and tea. You even pay for Orange Juice and sodas. The food (meal) is free and was ok. They take Euros, British Pounds, Iceland currency and dollars.

The airport KEF is located about 30 miles from downtown. The airport was rather cold inside when I arrived in March so bring a sweater. You should have about one hour to check out the duty free stores at the airport before your next flight. If you have more than three hours, consider going to the Blue Lagoon for a swim.

The flight attendants were very friendly and the flight reminded me of flying before 9-11. (No threats from the pilot or attendants)

I had no problems with baggage but don't try to bring a real large suitcase into a 757.

They should serve you a hot breakfast going from KEF to Stockholm.

I would fly them again. Have you considered doing a stop-over in Iceland?

If I remember correctly, they only boarded the plane by row number in Orlando. The rest of the time, you just get in line. The airport in KEF is very easy to navigate.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM

We have flown on Icelandair between USA and Europe with stopover in Iceland, and I can recommend it.

Off season it's cheap to go to Europe to do whatever you wish and then stop over in Iceland for up to 7 days at no extra fare.

I have been to Iceland 4 times myself and have fallen in love with the country - the scenery is so magical, the driving fun, and the Blue Lagoon out of the world!

Whenever we need to go to Europe (usually either LHR or Glasgow) to visit family (off season), I shop for cheap airfares, and Icelandair often top the list and we make a stopover in Iceland for a few days.

I think Icelandair is a pretty smart airline - they have routes from several cities in USA that land in Keflavik at around the same time to meet the flights to various cities in Europe and vice-versa.

And their fares are very competitive against other airlines, especially BA.

Yeah, Iceland is very expensive (thanks to weak dollar) but you have to make it a treat to stop over in Iceland for a few days. It was my husband 60th in March this year and we had a great few days there in early April. It's my 50th next year and we may return for another!

Icelandair may be no-frills but you pay for the alcohol only - the sodas are free now. One thing though the stewardesses/stewards are truly wonderful and they sure know to do their job very professionally. They serve glasses of bottled water SEVERAL times throughout the flight, and their coffee is fantastic - best tasting airline coffee ever and we had to ask for our 3rd cup!

Keflavik airport is now big and has more gates. The shopping is good there (the duty free liquorice candies are a hit at the office). The plane changes are simple there - if you check the bags thru, they get on the correct plane at Keflavik.

Go ahead and give Icelandair a try!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Ok, Icelandair is quite good. They alow you to carry 2 checked bags, each up to 23 kg. Small amount of liquids are allowed in carry on. But check the latest TSA rules. Sometimes, TSA acts unpredictably!!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:42 AM

BlueSea and Earthhopper:

May I make note the that Valerie already went to Sweden?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM

I didn't know that Icelandic still existed. Back in the 60s all the college students used it to fly to Europe. Sooo cheap.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:14 AM

This isn't Icelandic.
The fares on Icelandair are cheap, though.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Duh, that was a 01/23/2006 post!!!!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:30 PM

So what!

Keep this post alive!

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Srry

Just a little jittery when it comes to stuff like that
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Icelandair is good, and Iceland is even better!!!!