Icelandair

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:26 AM
JCE

Icelandair

Anyone flown icelandair? what are your opinions,comments?

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:42 AM
John

Flying to Europe is a bit of a mare as you get woken up in Iceland to change plane.

However, aside from that it is great. Iceland airport is good as is the airline. Often it is cheap too. You can often stopover in Iceland too which is a real added bonus.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 06:02 AM
JCE

John, what do tou mean by stopover,have an extended layover overnight?

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 06:39 AM
PCM

Does the airline allow an extended stop in Rekyavik for no more money than the straight round-trip?

What cities in Europe does it serve?

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 07:17 AM
John

If you ask (and Icelandair sometimes offer) you can simply delay your connecting flight for a day (or even a week or however long you want, visa permitting) and spend this time in Iceland. So, if you have some time to burn (and you want to) you can see Iceland on your way to or back from Europe/US.

In my experience they do not charge - it seems that Icelandair are trying to promote Iceland as a tourist destination and like people to do these stopovers. So PCM the answer is "Yes" but best to check with the airline before you buy.

They fly to Amsterdam, copenhagen, frankfurt, glasgow, london and oslo but maybe to more places by now.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 10:26 AM
BTilke

Thanks for bringing this up. I would never have considered Icelandair, but I see from their web site they have nonstop flights to/from Orlando-Reykjavik. My parents live in the Orlando area and perhaps on their next spring/summer trip over to visit us, we'll meet them in Reykjavik, do a short tour (Iceland has become a very hot mini-break destination with Europeans) and then fly with them to mainland Europe. Hmmm...I would consider taking Icelandair myself to visit my parents, but I don't relish the thought of landing in and taking off from Reykjavik in mid-winter.
BTilke (Brussels)

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:28 AM
John

The airport in Iceland is very good and warm. The problem is only that when flying US to Europe, both legs of the flight are small and so it is hard to sleep well (although even on Continental direct I would say it is hard to rest well). Flying from NYC to London on Icelandair you get maybe 5 1/2 hours on the plane from NYC to Iceland followed by 3 hours from Iceland to London. At least on a direct flight from the US to London you might get 6 1/2 sleep. If you do stop in iceland I recommend stopping on the journey to Europe.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Geoff

They are always reasonably priced, and although they will never be the fanciest, they are perfectly good every time. They also do Stockholm and Luxembourg. I actually *prefer* the layover the way it is. I can never sleep on a plane, and the oppotunity to get out and stretch is very nice. Given the jet lag from US to Europe, it's better to stay up the entire day after anyway.

No matter what, take that break in Iceland, at least two days, more if you have the time.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:44 PM
Maurice

My father used to fly them all the time. Until Freddy Laker and his discounts came along, Icelandic was the only airline not part of the North Atlantic cartel and so the only reasonably priced trip. Unfortunately, they could only land in Luxembourg, also a non-participant in the monopoly price-gougers cartel.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Deborah

I flew them in July and thought the service was fine, although like John said, a bit cramped. Iceland is a really interesting place and I highly recommend it. They can also arrange tours, but make sure you get all your vouchers in the U.S. first.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Tom

If someone needs leg room, would that be a problem flying coach on Icelandair to Europe?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:36 PM
ParrotMom

Flew Icelandair last February used as a charter and I can't say enough for them....compared to our flight with Virgin Airlines with the stewardesses from hell. We are flying them again to the Dominican Republic in two weeks... In the winter they are used as charter from the U.S. to the Carribean. Hooray!!

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:18 PM
jor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did them back in 1979. Hell I can't remember. Had such a good time in Europe it didn't matter!
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:20 PM

Iceland is one of those 'fascinating places'. Well worth a few stops, agree get any voucher sin the US before you go as it is 'very' expensive. Great chat line when everyone else is talking about where they've been, 'Iceland'..wow! Many years ago they were known as 'Loftleider' and they pioneered cheap transatlantic flights, still flying jet-props when everyone else moved to pure jets. Friendly service and the chance to stop in Reykjavik. The jet flights actaully land at 'Keyflavik' which is quite w way from town. For a stop on the way to Europe or back, makes more of the trip.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:45 PM

Keflavik is an odd airport. Been there 3 times. ah,...the funny round windows. The odd planes there. I saw an American F-15 fighter (which is similar to the Japanese F-15). I also saw a Russian Antonov An124, a very large jet. The nearby landscape is rocky and looks like what I think the moon looks like.