Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Europe via Iceland? Is the low fare worth it?

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've started looking for NYC to Europe fares for a possible vacation around Labor Day into early September. It looks like Icelandic can save us $400 or so per person over the next best flights with plane changes, and even more over non-stops.

On the other hand, the extra flight and transit times may eliminate a good chunk of the first day's vacation time, and changing planes does increase the risk of baggage mis-handling.

On the other other hand, we could spend a day or so in Iceland, even though it's said to be quite expensive, which, of course, would eliminate the benefit of some of the airfare savings.

So, has anyone got some practical information on flying Icelandic, especially with the newer tendency to limited baggage, carry-ons, and security restrictions.

Also any input on staying a day in Iceland would be appreciated. A search on this site hasn't helped as much as I had hoped, as we don't do hiking, swimming, or driving dirt roads.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew Icelandair from Orlando to KEF and on to London a few years ago. I was quite happy with them. They served a meal on both flights (to KEF and to LHR) that was free but the only beverages that were free were water, tea and coffee. They used a 757 aircraft (unless you fly from SFO) which is not everyones favorite, but it works. Flight attendants were "classy."

Consider a stopover for one or two nights in Iceland. Visit the Blue Lagoon before flying back to NYC.

Here is a bunch of comments you can read. They played a movie and had entertainment from televisions around the cabin. No individual seatback television.

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/icelr.htm
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:52 AM

Most people do the "Golden Ring" Tour when they go to Iceland. The airport KEF is about 45 minutes from downtown but they have good public transportation, however, you will need to have at least four hours between flights to see anything.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM

I'd make Iceland part of your trip and spend a couple of days there on a stopover. It's really different from anything else you are likely to see

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the link, Wally. The various comments give useful info. I'll look into the Golden Ring, too.

We'd probably pass up the Blue Lagoon swim, however.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 03:59 AM

A lot of people do the Blue Lagoon on their way back to the airport when they fly back to the States.

Everyone in the city heats their homes with hot water so it is quite unique. It can be quite windy there so wear something windproof.

There is a church with an elevator that will give you a great view of the city.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM

I actually enjoyed having two short flihts rather than one long flight on the way there. It was nice to stretch our legs, knowing that Iceland Air is the national carrier so we would definitely make our connection.

On the way back we spent a day and night in Reykjavik and found it charming and the people very warm. It is expensive, but was a neat experience. We had a nice dinner at an old-fashioned place called Vid Tjornina near the harbor and strolled around.