Search

Icelandair

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 11:02 AM
DB

Icelandair

I've read conflicting opinions about this airline...any recent experiences?<BR><BR>The lack of leg room and bad food complaints seem to describe EVERT airline. Is Icelandair really any different?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Icelandair is just fine and you can often save on their fares to Europe. Their flights hub out of Keflavik, so you will be stopping there to change planes. The flight from Iceland to mainland Europe is not all that long from there -- less than three hours. On the downside, having to connect can make your trip take a little longer by a couple of hours, although it's not as if you will be spending that time in a plane. There are some interesting shops and you can grab a bite in the airport -- maybe even pick up one of those fabulous Icelandic wool sweaters. Iceland is not really much out of the way in comparison to many transatlantic flight paths. You also have the opportunity to stop in Iceland for up to three days without changing your fare and it's kind of a neat place to visit. When I flew them a couple of years ago, they were flying 757s with the typical 3-3 seating and that is still what I'm seeing on the ramps when I run across Icelandair equipment. I don't think the legroom was any different than typical coach seating in any airline. We thought they were just fine and I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again if they fit into my plans.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Don

I flew Icelandair two years ago and thought their seat pitch (knee room) and food to be slightly above average. The connect time at Keflavik was less than an hour in each direction if I recall. Icelandair will allow you to stopover in Iceland for up to 3 days at no additional airfare if you book it that way with them. Like Jim, I would not hesitate to fly with Icelandair again.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Brenda

Icelandair is better than most. I've flown them twice in the past three months, only last week to and from Glasgow. Keflavik is a pleasure to connect through. The food isn't as bad as some and the seats aren't any worse, in fact, might have more room. I chose to fly Icelandair over BA because connecting through Keflavik would be so much easier than connecting through Heathrow.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:14 PM
DB

Thanks for the input...I'll give it a try now!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Karin

Agree with all the positive posts here, having flown on Icelandair more than once. Aside from the longer travel time than a non-stop flight, there are no negatives. The changeover in Keflavik has always been quick and painless. Plus, the fares are often much lower than elsewhere.