Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

And now...the 100 best things in Iceland.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 04:54 PM
Amy

Nope, that's not a joke. I could do the hundred all by myself, but I'd love to hear from others.
To begin
1. Hike Thorvald's boulders and waterfalls.
2. Ride Viking ponies through lava fields.
3. Visit the volcano slides shown and explained by the scientist who took them when the island of Surtsey was born.
4. Ride a bus through glacial rivers.
5. Explore Reykjavik's adorable shops and long for a bigger budget.
6. Eat seafood!
7. Wander down in downtown Reykjavik in a 10PM dusk, watching the sunset. (ok, only in summer)
8. Breathe deeply. Ahhh...world's cleanest air!

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:19 PM
silly

9. Stay warm

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:34 PM
Rex

Amy,

You may have to finish the list for us. None of us know all these wonderful things about Iceland. The only one I could think of is "runways at the airport just the right length so that Icelandair planes can take off to fly to the rest of Europe!"

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:35 PM
Amy

Not at all difficult to do in
10. the Blue Lagoon, geothermal pool with terrific skin care properties, and
11. with a woolen sweater from all those sheep you'll see wandering about or
12. at the original Geysir and
13. in the boiling mud. (Okay, so maybe that's not on a par with the Louvre.)

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:39 PM
Bill

Rex -
How about snarfing down the free salmon at the airport gift shop while you wait for your plane?

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:44 PM
Amy

Ok, that was for "Silly". Now a few more for Rex...
14. whale watching on a fishing boat
15. the President's house, just right on out there in the open
16. greenhouse towns of amazing flowers and fruit
17. elves in Hafnarfjordur (no, I didn't see them, but that doesn't mean they're not there)
18. only five hours from the east coast
19. 55 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer (and I come from a 90's/humid city)
20. Viking sagas
21. Rotten shark and pickled rams'--uh--parts (so, it's an adventure)
22. Beautiful singing voices (pick up some CD's)
I could go on, but I don't want to be greedy...

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:21 PM
Amy

Well, maybe just a few more...
23. Thingvellir, the Viking parliament, claimed as the first in Europe
24. Tectonic plate fissures in Thingvellir national park (of course that's exciting!)
25. Hotdogs (the national snack) down by the harbor
26. Active volcanoes
27. Snowmobiling on a glacier
28. Puffins galore
29. Lava fields with tiny wildflowers growing
30. Sculpture museum of manageable size
Hey, anybody else???

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 02:58 AM
xxxxx

Admire the Beautiful Blond women of Iceland.and their perfect skin

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Amy

That'll do for 31.
32. Visit the old style turf home and museum in the village of Skogar. It's like visiting an elderly relative with a fascinating history.
33. Public heated swimming pools all over
34. Lobster pasta under blue and white Viking sails at Pasta Basta in Reykjavik
35. Walk to the city airport and catch a flight to the north or to Greenland (and realize how "mild" Iceland is in comparison to Greenland)

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 09:06 AM
nancy

Topping this because certainly more people than Amy have gone to Iceland.
This is interesting!

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Amy

Thank you, Nancy. The Iceland Appreciation Club here was starting to feel a little lonely.
36. Climb to the top of Skogafoss (falls) and "on a clear day, you can see forever"
37. Gaze into the calm teal waters of a crater lake
38. Only telephone book that I know of in Europe that's listed by first names
39. Great cheap public transport system in Reykjavik
40. Tipping is not expected or even usually approved
41. Colorful houses glowing in the lambent light
42. Friendly helpful people who do not find it necessary to hover or handhold

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 02:38 PM
arjay

We're flying Iceland Air for the first time in a few days...and this trip, we're not spending any time in Iceland, not with a two week max itinerary. But the enthusiasm of Amy, and others, sure makes it seem like a good bet for some future stopover. Iceland? Lobster? We'll be there!

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 03:56 PM
adi

I'll second the Gullfoss Waterfall and walking through Thingvellir National Park in the canyon where the North American and European tectonic plates meet. Just driving through the incredible landscape is perfect.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 04:11 PM
nancy

Amy,
2 questions;
Hot dogs are the national snack?!
Is Iceland really as expensive as I have been led to believe?
Since I live in a climate which is cool to cold, for at least 6 months of the year (and I am being generous) , 55F as a summer temp is not terribly appealing to me.
But, what is Christmas time like there?

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Amy

Yup, the hotdog thing is for real. There is a tiny stand down by the harbor where there is always a line of people in business suits, tourist togs, and everything in between. (The hotdog stands are all over Denmark, as well.) The reason for the hotdog popularity is probably partly due to, yes, unfortunately, it is quite expensive in Iceland, as many things need to be imported to the island. However, you can get good deals on hotels and tours through Icelandair (and, I'm sure, others) and there are farm holidays and such in the summer that cost even less. We usually "picnic" one meal and do one in a restaurant; the included breakfasts in the hotels are large, not continental, usually.
I haven't yet been there at Christmas, much as I would like it; there are special trips for that time, and the average temp in the winter is actually one degree higher than NYC! Of course, the long, long summer days are offset by very short ones in the winter. Check out Icelandair's site; they've got terrific brochures that give you a real feel for the place.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 05:31 PM
StCirq

Thanks so much. I almost booked one of those cheapie Icelandair fares this spring, but changed my mind for various reasons. But I'm still interested in the stopover in Reikjavik and the local sights and will probably do it some year. I appreciate the information.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Martha

Amy:
Thanks for this post. I am going to Iceland in July for two weeks and could not believe there are so few Iceland postings. I also have heard it is really expensive but I think the scenery and nature in all its glory should offset that. Plus, I will have so many extra hours in the day to enjoy it. Thanks again. Now I am really anxious to go.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 01:07 PM
shannon

Amy,

Thanks for you post!! I am considering it for a vacation in may/june, but have not done too much research on Iceland. How is "getting around" in Iceland? Do most tourist rent cars or use public transportation? ( I noticed you said they have a good system). Additionally, where did you stay?

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Amy

You're quite welcome!
A few more...
43. highest # of books published and sold per capita in the world--and some of them are in English
44. **warning**very touristic, but fun: buy a Reykjavik Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt and confuse the living daylights out of most of the people in the USA
45. Dryohaey (sp) Peninsula, where the seabirds by the hundreds nest in the cliffs
46. beautifully kept flower filled cemetaries (what? doesn't everybody like cemetaries?)
47. big hotel rooms (by European standards)
48. view from Perlan, the restaurant atop the water tower in Reykjavik
49. Keflavik Airport's size and manageability
50. Farmhouses that take guests

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Amy

Shannon, I've always used the public transport/taxis in Reykjavik, and tours (mostly of about 12-20 people) to reach the outlying areas. The tours were definitely not the typical coach tours!! I understand the driving can be difficult as not all the roads are paved or even marked. In addition, some places are inaccessible except by special vehicles. However, they do offer fly+drive packages, so it must be doable! Just depends on your sense of adventure in driving, I guess. I've stayed in Hotels Island and Saga, and prefer Saga's location. I can't remember the hotels in some of the outlying towns, but usually there's not a whole lot of choice: )
Have a wonderful time, all of you who are going this summer. I'll be in Portugal, but I'm looking at Iceland for October.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -