- Extraordinary regional specialties Dig into Black Forest cake, Schwarzwald ham (only authentic if smoked over pinecones), and the incredible brews from the Alpirsbach Brewery.
- Freiburg Münster One of the most beautiful gothic churches in Germany, the Cathedral of Freiburg survived the war unscathed. The view from the bell tower is stunning.
- Going cuckoo Look for a cuckoo clock from Triberg (or a nice watch from Pforzheim).
- Healing waters More than 30 spas with a wide range of treatments await to make visitors feel whole again, but nothing beats the 3½-hour session at the Friedrichsbad in Baden-Baden.
- Libations at Kaiserstuhl Enjoy a local wine in the wine-maker's yard or cellar with Black Forest ham and dark bread. It's especially nice when the grapes are being harvested.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More