- Extraordinary regional specialties Dig into Black Forest cake, Schwarzwald ham (only authentic if smoked over pinecones), and the incredible brews from the Alpirsbach Brewery.
- Freiburg Münster One of the most beautiful gothic churches in Germany, the Cathedral of Freiburg survived the war unscathed. The view from the bell tower is stunning.
- Going cuckoo Look for a cuckoo clock from Triberg (or a nice watch from Pforzheim).
- Healing waters More than 30 spas with a wide range of treatments await to make visitors feel whole again, but nothing beats the 3½-hour session at the Friedrichsbad in Baden-Baden.
- Libations at Kaiserstuhl Enjoy a local wine in the wine-maker's yard or cellar with Black Forest ham and dark bread. It's especially nice when the grapes are being harvested.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More