- A coastal walk For high, dramatic cliff scenery, choose the Exmoor coast around Lynmouth or the coast around Tintagel. The South West Coast Path is 630 miles long.
- Riding or hiking on Dartmoor Escape to southern England's greatest wilderness—a treeless expanse dotted with rocky outcrops; there are many organized walks and pony-trekking operations.
- Seafood in Padstow Celebrity chef Rick Stein rules the roost in this small, pretty Cornish port, and any of his establishments will strongly satisfy.
- Tate St. Ives There's nowhere better to absorb the local arts scene than this offshoot of London's Tate in the pretty seaside town of St. Ives. A rooftop café claims views over Porthmeor Beach.
- A visit to Eden It's worth the journey west for Cornwall's Eden Project alone a wonderland of plant life in a former clay pit. Two gigantic geodesic "biomes" are filled with flora.
- Wells Cathedral A perfect example of medieval craftsmanship, the building is a stunning spectacle.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More