Istria Travel Guide
Plan Your Istria Vacation
The word conjures something magical as it rolls off the tongue: Istria. Beyond sounding poetic, however, the name of this region of Croatia is derived from the name of the Illyrian people who occupied the area well before the Romans first arrived in the 3rd century BC—namely, the Histrians, whose chief architectural legacy comprised numerous hilltop fortresses. In the northwest corner of Croatia bordering Slovenia, the triangular-shaped Istrian peninsula looks rather like a bunch of grapes—and, given its strong viticultural heritage, some might say this is not a coincidence.
In Istria, as in most other reaches of the Croatian coast, it's basically a question of whether to stay at the big,... read more
Food in Istria is more sophisticated and varied than in the rest of Croatia. Culinary tourism is one of the region's biggest... read more
Things To Do in Istria
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $1699 & up -- Croatia 4-Star Vacation Deals, Save $1700 Croatian National Tourist Board
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We started off our trip with a stopover in Amsterdam. We had 7 hours and forty five minutes total, but by the time we got off the pl... Read more
Hi, Fodorites! I have been lurking many years, occasionally, asking a question or answering one, but reading through trip reports voraciou... Read more