- Take a walk through the Roman Area in Pula, where you will find one of the world's biggest and best-preserved amphitheaters (in fact, the sixth-largest in the world).
- Have dinner at one of Rovinj's elegant seaside restaurants (Monte is widely regarded as the city's finest dining establishment).
- A scenic drive through the medieval towns of Grožnjan and Motovun in the hilly interior is not to be missed; these are villages that time seems to have forgotten.
- Enjoy a tour of the amazing 6th-century Byzantine mosaics at St. Euphrasius Basilica in Poreč; St. Euphrasius is one of the best-preserved early-Christian churches in Europe.
- As in Italy, gelato is available everywhere in dozens of flavors all over Istria. Grab a cone and enjoy the early evening passeggiata, a stroll through any town square in the evening, just like a local.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More