Which hotel - Washington Hilton OR Cambria Suites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Washington DC for 3 nights in July 2015 (2 adults + 2 kids 9,12) (first time visitors).

Both Washington Hilton and Cambria Suites are available, but the Hilton is approx $ 75 more per night. Neither includes breakfast,

My question is whether its worth the extra money to stay at the Hilton? The Cambria suites reviews are pretty good on Tripadvisor although Hilton is more of a well-known brand.
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 04:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Washington Hilton is in a more established neighborhood (Dupont Circle) than the Cambria which is at the edge of the Shaw area. There is a lot of new development in that part of DC but right now it's primarily residential & commercial -- not particularly interesting for a visitor unless you're attending a convention. I'd give the edge to the Hilton.
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 01:28 PM

I would not stay at the Cambria suites given its location between the Shaw and Mt Vernon metro stops. Aside from not being near much, it is not as safe.
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 05:31 PM

And I wouldn't stay at the Hilton again because last time we were there we were kept up for hours by the people.in the adjacent room (who might have been on their honeymoon, if you get my drift). I blame the hotel for having paper-thin walls, not the couple who were doing what people do in hotel rooms. Admittedly, my son and DIL , and her family, have stayed there without problems on multiple occasions (including right now). I'd see what the price is at the Courtyard across the street from the Hilton.
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We got a great rate at Avenue Suites last July and loved the location, parking was pretty expensive however if you'll have a car to park. Check their reviews, rooms are nice and spacious for 4. (Breakfast not included).
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Sorry to hear of your neighbour problems sf7307! Courtyard is unfortunately close to $350, and Avenue Suites already full!
I've re-checked rates @ the Hilton and its come down, only $40 more per night than Cambria.
Any other suggestions for Hotels in the below-$200 per night bracket ? - we'd like something easily accessible to the major sights (museums etc- 1st time visitors to the USA) so that we're able to return back to the hotel mid-day and back to the museums again after. A pool is always great for the kids.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 09:12 AM

Do you need parking as well?
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 09:50 AM

You are talking about a visit that is 7 and half months away. It's virtually impossible to predict what actual rates will be in July 2015 so you may be seeing rack rates posted by default.

I also find it improbable that the Avenue Suites is sold out now for July of next year. Check again later but generally their rates aren't going to be below $200/night. The same hotel group (Modus) has a cheaper sister place very near by -- One Washington Circle. Try that one.

My advice: If you're determined to have a place booked now, reserve a place with cancelable rates. Look again next year four +/- months out. Under $200 (be aware that the price is usually quoted non inclusive of 14.5% tax) is doable in July but not every where every day.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Clarkgriswold (love that profile name ) we don't need parking. Obxgirl we're coming from South Africa on a month-long trip, and not having any real knowledge about what US hotel rates should be, or what is likely to be available or not, we've been booking all the hotels now with cancellable rates. So we'll keep checking, thanks! I will recheck Avenue Suites and One Wash Circle - thanks!
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 08:55 AM

I get wanting to have your plans nailed down when you're traveling to a new place a long way from home.

July isn't peak tourist season in DC and except for Independence Day the first week of July, hotel availability should be good (barring something like the Africa Summit that occurred this year in August).

Look for hotels in these neighborhoods: Penn Quarter, Dupont Circle, Downtown, West End, Foggy Bottom, Woodley Park. All have a good selection of hotels (can't guarantee
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 09:11 AM

We booked in Jan for July last year, and Avenue Suites had plenty of availability at $170 per night. Perhaps your visit is over the 4th of July holiday? You can also look in Roslyn or Arlington and try to find something within a couple blocks of Metro.
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated. Obxgirl this is our first trip to the USA so I'm trying to iron out as many uncertainties as possible. Nothing worse than arriving at a hotel after many hours travel to find its a disaster! Clarkgriswold, current rates for our dates in mid-July at Avenue Suites, are over $300 per night, but i will keep checking there and the other recommendations, thank you.
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 08:39 AM

Residence Inn Arlington/Rosslyn is a quick hop to the metro and includes breakfast for 4. Bedroom with queen bed is separate from living room which has a queen sofa-bed. Approx $165 per night and is fully cancellable if you would like to lock something in while you continue to search.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/resi...n-rosslyn.html
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks clarkgrswold & obxgirl.
We're in DC from 15-18 July, for those days the rate is $299 per night for the 4 of us at Residence Inn and $272 at Avenue Suites, excl taxes.
However, I will keep looking in the areas mentioned above. Thanks
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 01:45 PM

Check the reviews on booking.com for "Arlington Court Suites" which was formerly Arlington Clarion. Approx $165 per night includes breakfast. I have never stayed here but it is near courthouse metro and a long 8 min walk (uphill) to the metro is the most mentioned complaint.
Another back-up place that you could book now while you continue to watch for specials etc.