Reload this Page >

Hotel near Washington Hilton& Towers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:12 PM
D.C. Traveler

I am looking for a hotel near the Washingotn Hilton & Towers (Dupont Circle area). I will be attending a conference at the Hilton but was unable to book a room there. I would like a hotel that is within safe walking distance of the Hilton. The Churchill Hotel is a possibility. I have seen mixed reviews. I would appreciate info & opinions from anyone who has stayed there recently - since renovations. Also, any other hotel suggestions?

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:15 PM
Mike

There's a Courtyard by Marriott right across the street from the Hilton. Down the hill near the Dupont Circle Metro station there are multiple hotels, including the Jury and a number of other U.S. chains. How close do you want to be to the Hilton?

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:25 PM
D.C. Traveler

I did check on the Marriot. It is a little more expensive than the Churchill but is also a possibility.
I would like no more than a 10 to 15 minute walk, as long as it is safe for a woman walking alone. Some events may be in the evening. Of course I can take a cab , if necesary, but that would add up for a week.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Christina

the closest are the Courtyard Marriott, Churchill (used to be a Sofitel), and Jury's Normandy. YOu can often get good deals on that Jury's, it's in a nice neighborhood with some embassies and only a couple blocks away on Wyoming Ave. I'm amazed that Marriott is more expensive than the Churchill -- it's nothing special, has had a variety of owners like Quality Inn, etc. I would have thought the Churchill nicer than it, but I haven't been in it. I'd look at Jury's, then Churchill.

There are several other choices down near Dupont Circle, but that's a 4-5 block walk. Actually, the Carlyle Suites is a budget suite hotel fairly close to the Hilton (closer than the hotels right at Dupont Circle) you could look into, but I don't think it's anything that nice either. It's on a safe street, I wouldn't worry about walking from Carlyle to the Hilton at night, I have walked around there at night because I have friends who live on that street, plus there's a cafe/art cinema at the end of the street (Visions) you go by and there will be people around there.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Christina

BTW, there is a Jury's right at Dupont Circle which someone else has referred to above, but that one is not the Jury's closest to the Hilton. This is the link to the one I'd suggest for most convenience and proximity
http://www.jurys.com/usa/normandy.htm

It doesn't sound that far (DUpont Circle), but it is much more convenient to be closer for conferences, and that walk is also slightly uphill (the Circle to the Hilton).