Which Cape Cod Lodging for us?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having trouble narrowing this down. We are a party of 3 (husband, myself and our 15 y/o daughter). Would like a not-too-stuffy B & B near Chatham or Brewster for 3 night stay the weekend before July 4. Breakfast included. Want some common area, big porch or outdoor area to relax and to spend less than $300 (preferably less than $250) per night. Also ideally, w/in walking distance to a nice beach.

We are considering:

Bradford Inn, Carriage House (suite), Moorings B & B or the Queen Anne Inn in Chatham area or the Old Sea Pines Inn in Brewster. The Cranberry Inn also looks nice but high end on price and maybe too formal atmosphere for our teen. Any advice from those who have been there?

Also, any recommendations for one night at Woods Hole?
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 06:37 AM

It's difficult to find a place on the lower Cape that's stuffy!!
Sea Pines, in Rt. 6A in Brewster, has a lovely wraparound porch, tennis courts and a short walk to the Brewster bayside beaches. There are separate rooms, that rather look like a motel in the back of the Inn, so choose the place to stay you would like.The only other I am familiar with is the Queen Anne, close to downtown Chatham, which is lively, with band concerts on summer evenings, and fun boutiques your teenager would love (with names like Mermaid on Main,Pirates bounty, etc). I have heard good things about the Bradford House, and Carriage house, but am not familiar with the Moorings. Lighthouse beach would not be far from any of these, now would the Fish Pier.
Probably do more walking in Chatham than Brewster. but in either place you would want a car.
Can't help in Woods Hole, sorry!
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Chatham Wayside Inn
The Hawthorne Inn (Chatham)
also try weneedavacation.com if looking for a small house or APT

Cheriberry
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. Well the Old Sea Pines Inn is out. They won't book us a family room for less than five days. Only a room with a private bath...or invited me to take my chances booking after March 1st. For the weekend before July 4th, there is no way I'm going to wait to secure a place.

I had already ruled out The Hawthorne because I do not like the motel type look of the place. The Chatham Wayside Inn would be $365 per night which is too expensive.

I don't need to be right on the beach. It gets so frustrating with some of these websites. For example, I like to photos of the Bradford Inn but they don't picture their rooms which always makes me suspicious.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:00 PM

A few other ideas...

I just checked out brewsterbythesea.com. Looks like they have connecting rooms that would work for you with your budget. You can't walk to the beach from there but they have a pool and you can buy a beach pass.

You might want to consider renting a 1BR condo at Ocean Edge. Might fit your budget even if you have to rent for a week and not use every day. Try weneedavacation.com or cyberrentals.com

I liked the Sea Pines idea--great location, always looks charming. Sorry that's not going to work.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I'd suggest you try the Captain Freeman Inn in Brewster. We live nearby and have had family members use it. Always a good report...nice location, rooms, pool and breakfast. Ocean Edge Resort is also nice, with lots of activities.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM

We've enjoyed our yearly stay at Captain Gosnold in Hyannis. Nice, furnishes and clean cottages. 5-minute to the beaches and the beautiful surroundings of Hyyannis Port area.
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. We have reserved a lovely two room new suite at the Carriage House Inn in Chatham, based on recommendations of this place on tripadvisor.com. It's $265 per night for 3 people, including gourmet breakfast. Can't wait!
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Sounds great and you will LOVE Chatham!

And thanks for circling back and letting us all know what you decided. It's my Fodors site "pet peeve"--people who ask for advice then never tell you what they decided.

Enjoy~
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 02:20 AM

ccrosner, you're so right; getting feedback from the advice benefits everyone, I always like to hear it.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Thanks Leslie C. and enjoy! I think you will like the Carriage House.