Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cape Cod Town Recommendations- Chatham or Eastham?

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to New England for our anniversary and were wondering which Cape Cod town you would recommend staying at. We aren't the most outdoorsy of people, and are hoping to stay in a town that has a fun downtown area with quaint restaurants, cafe's, wine bars, and shops.

We were thinking of staying in either Eastham or Chatham, and were wondering which of those towns you would recommend staying at? Also, if you have any recommendations on a place to stay we would greatly appreciate it.

Other info about our trip- We will be traveling to Cape cod in mid September and will be staying at the selected location for 3 nights, and will have our own car.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:10 PM

You described Chatham. Eastham has no downtown and none of the things you mentioned. I don't know of a place to stay other than the Chatham Bars Inn which is fabulous but very pricey. Perhaps others can make suggestions.

I think you would really enjoy Chatham and September on the Cape is usually glorious.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:15 PM

we stayed in an amazing inn and i can't think of the name of it in Chatham. But it was off the path, and I do know that right smack in the middle of town is also an inn/bb that you'll probably find listed. Otherwise, Nantucket is excellent and would also be an amzing place to stay. We really loved Chatham - some identifying things of the inn we stayed at is they only hire from England from one of the culinary schools, so all the help is lovely. Captain Something Inn (and no children allowed which made it lovely and quiet, since it was a getaway without our daughter and Cape Cod in the summer is filled with kids).
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:36 PM

Check out Chatham Tides (they have a website). Moderately priced, condo-like units (all with kitchens, RIGHT on Long Island Sound (glorious ocean views), a very short drive from "downtown" Chatham. There are some terrific take-away shops in Chatham for dining in. There's more to see/do/shopping/dining in Chatham (and don't miss the lighthouse). You can take a drive to Eastham (nearly all over the Cape in one day in September...).

Also nice (but not on the ocean) are the rooms at the Bradford Inn (a very short walk to town) in Chatham with fireplaces.

Also highly recommend Chillingsworth (www.chillingsworth.com) for an anniversary dinner. This is one of only two places on the planet we've enjoyed "worth every penny for the experience" that we've wanted to repeat.

There are many more luxurious, also pricier, places to stay in Chatham, as well, along with more than a dozen B&B's.

There are dozens of websites with lodging possibilities. www.visitcapecod.com is a great place to start.

Upstairs at Christian's on Main Street in Chatham, there's a wonderful casual restaurant with a large menu of Yankee Comfort Food that turns into a terrific piano bar after dinner.

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM

For an in-town location you can't beat Chatham. Perhaps the previous poster was referring to the Captain's House Inn in Chatham. It is a short walk to the center and is lovely. It was sold recently and I have not heard anything much about the new inn keepers or the new staff. Eastham is all about nature, Ocean and Bay beaches, Fort Hill, and of course the Cape Cod National Seashore. But as already mentioned, Eastham does not have a commercial center. So if you don't mind being a tourist in a tourist town then Chatham is for you!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Chatham will be beautiful in September, with not too many of the "summer people". The Captain's Inn, or the Moses Nickerson House are two delightful inns to stay, close to the fish pier, and town, but out of the traffic.
The lighthouse is fun to tour, as is Shore Derive, along Nantucket Sound. Great restaurants- the Impudent Oyster bing one of our favorites, as well as Bucca's, a Tuscan roadhouse, on the Chatham Harwich line.
You'll enjoy the town.
Eastham is mainly a summer beach town, with beautiful ocean beaches, part of the National Seashore, but no ambiance, downtown, or even great restaurants.