help with cape cod accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I were on our way to Cape Cod for our honeymoon 40 years ago in September and didn't make it because of car trouble. We thought we'd give it a try again. I don't like to stay in big places. Just need it to be clean and would prefer a water view or at least a short walk to the beach. Price is not a problem, but we don't like to pay for a pool, golf course, fitness center, etc. that we won't use. We have narrowed down our search to a few places. The choices are: Green Harbor Waterfront, E.Falmouth--A Beach Breeze Inn, W. Harwich--Anchor In, Hyannis--or Capewind, Falmouth. Any suggestions and insights will be appreciated.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Well how nice that your coming back after such a long time. I'm not familiar with the Falmouth choices and the Beach Breeze Inn, although very nice, is on route 28 so not near the water.

Of your selections I would therefore reccomend the Anchor In, which is near beaches. restaurants and activities, and Hyannis Harbor.

Since price is not a problem and you would like a waterview and or close to beach, may I make a few other suggestions: Always tops, Chatham Bars Inn; Red Jacket Beach in South Yarmouth; Sandcastle Resort in Provincetown.

So nice to have you arrive after 40 years!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:01 PM

If price is not an issue, I recommend the Chatham Bars Inn. I've never stayed there but have driven by there several times and it is absolutely spectacular! Right across the street from the beach and close to Chatham Light. We've also stayed at the Seadar Inn in Harwich (or Harwichport), not sure. It is across the street from a lovely beach called the Bank St. Beach. The Seadar Inn is a typical Cape Cod inn, gray shingles, blue shutters, split rail fence, roses and blue hydrangeas. I would definitely stay there again sometime. My daughter has also stayed at the Chatham Wayside Inn, which she enjoyed. It's a very pretty inn, right in downtown Chatham.
Good luck!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We like the Lighthouse Inn in West Dennis, but of your choices I would definitely choose the Anchor. Don't like Falmouth much, it seems more commercial and less old-fashioned than the rest of the Cape.

September is always a beautiful time to visit Cape Cod!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:09 AM

We have owned a home on the Cape for 30 years in Chatham and I cannot say enough about this town. I would stay at the Chatham Bars Inn-it is breathtaking and you can even rent a bungalow right on the water. Have lunch at the Impudent Oyster downtown and be sure to go see the the Lighthouse north of the Inn. Take a drive toward Provincetown and stop at the Cape Cod National Seashore for a walk thru the dunes to a lovely ocen view. Enjoy the Cape-it is a wonderful place to be!!!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:28 AM

I must agree with LittleNell. Chatham is quite lovely ...

We just stayed in Chatham for our 19th anniversary getaway and enjoyed it a lot. The little shops and restaurants are great; it was a pleasant walk to the lighthouse and beach; and it was conveniently located between Provincetown and Hyannis. We have never stayed in Chatham (usually we are based out of Yarmouth) but loved the area so much, I'm sure we'll be staying in that area again...

The Chatham Bars Inn is gorgeous - but anniversary or not, I wasn't going to pay over $400 a night. I realize it is high season on the Cape, but ...

We stayed at the Chatham Wayside Inn. It was half the price and we absolutely loved our stay! The room was richly appointed, the staff was wonderful, and the restaurant was excellent.

I would highly recommend the Chatham Wayside Inn.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Agree that the Chatham Bars Inn is a very nice place, but (as was already mentioned) the rates are really high. Having stayed there, I'm not sure it's really worth the cost.

Ken
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great information. Any other recommendations for restaurants?
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:53 PM

There's lots of good places to eat on the Cape ... lots of local seafood places, many chain restaurants (in Yarmouth and Hyannis), and lots of good locally owned restaurants.

One of my favorites places to grab a bite is The Box Lunch. They have rollup sandwiches that I just love. It's not a sitdown restaurant - order at the counter and take your sandwich to the beach or wherever. Yum!

I'm easy to please - I insisted my husband take me to The Box Lunch for lunch on our anniversary. We ordered the John Alden and Priscilla Alden. Yum! Yum!

There are several locations on the Cape. They beat any of the chain burger joints ... visit one, you'll be happy you did! The website is: http://www.boxlunch.com/

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:03 PM

judy, judy, judy...The Cape is pretty big and driving between towns can take hours.

If we knew what general area you were planning to stay (Upper, Mid or Lower Cape) we could offer more suggestions for dining.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Gene: we're still not sure where we will stay and we usually are on the go during the day. We want to see a lot of the Cape, so I'm not sure where we will be at meal time. Just thought we might even plan around some good restaurants.

Any thoughts on Sandpiper Inn or Blue Dolphin Inn?
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 04:58 PM

Sorry Judy I'm not familiar with eiher of those Inn's but I can help you with restaurants and I will give you a sample of some of my personal favorites scattered across the Cape.

Plan a trip tp Provincetown because it has the best selection of restaurants of any town on the Cape. The Lobster Pot, Napi's, Clem and Ursies and Martin House $$$ are a few of the best here.

In Orleans I reccommend the Captain Linnell House, Jailhouse Tavern and the Fog Cutter.

In Dennis for lunch or breakfast try the Sesuit Harbor Cafe and watch the yachts sail into Cape Cod Bay from your outside table overlooking the boat channel

You showed a lot of interest in the Falmouth area so here are a few selections here: The Chart Room is a must stop in Cataumet. Watch the sun set over Red Brook Harbor while you have cocktails at your outside table before eating.

In Woods Hole the LandFall restaurant is a dockside restaurant with great food. In Falmouth Center there are many good choices and one of the best is the Nimrod a restaurant with a history.

Next to Falmouth is the town of Mashpee which has a restaurant called the Flume run by the Cape Cod Indian tribe of Wampanoags. When I first dined there I was a little apprehensive. In the parking lot I stopped worrying when I saw all the Rolls, BMW's, and Porsche's in the parking lot. This place has some of the best food in the world, believe me.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:01 PM

Gene!
I recently moved to Cape Cod from NY and I was interested in going to the Flume also. My husband is a Falmouth native and has never been there either. I will have to tell him about the restaurant. We pass many times and thought we should get there to eat!!!
P.S. You are a hit here. You are the King of Cape Cod here with all your excellent recommendations and knowledge here on Fodor's board!! Keep up the good work.. I still have yet to see provincetown. I am still adjusting here(as I lived in the suburbs all my life)...but you are very helpful and will definitely check out some of the places you mentioned !here!!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:36 AM

bump
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 08:43 PM

Sunny, thanks for your words of encouragement. I love the Cape so I enjoy helping others planning their vacations here.

I was not exagerrating about the food at the Flume it truly was outstanding. I think they close for the season in October.

Try to get to Provincetown soon although it can be very pretty during the Holiday season also with the Pilgrim Monument decorated with holiday lights and some good restaurants like Napi's opened year round.