Search

San Francisco--San Jose Driving Time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco--San Jose Driving Time

Hi
I am spending Labor Day weekend in SF.Looking for driving suggestions and travel time. My flight arrives San Jose next Wednesday 9pm.would I be better to stay in airport area and drive to San Francisco the next morning or make the drive upon arrival. I am not familiar with roads,traffic ect. My return flight leaves San Jose at noon Monday (Labor Day)what should I expect on the return to airport. While I am on driving times what about SF to Bodega Bay. Would like to walk across Golden Gate where do you park.
Thank You for your assistance.
Diver
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:05 AM

The drive from SJC into SF at that time would take about an hour. By the time you get your car, it will probably be about 10 pm - since you are not familiar with the area and factoring in possible jet lag, I would suggest staying in SJ the 1st night and heading to SF in the morning.

For your return to the airport, I would factor in a 2 hour driving time from SF just to be sure. It is the last day of a holiday weekend and you will probably run into traffic.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:39 AM

I often do this drive and agree w/ J Correa on transit time. Don't forget that the rental car return is not close to the terminal and you must take a shuttle. Especially when returning at the end of a holiday weekend, allow extra time. Not sure where in SF you are staying, but two hours for the return seems pretty reasonable.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Correa $ Seamus
I agree with your suggestion, especially the jetlag from Orlando.
Any suggestions about a hotel close to the airport.Looking forward to your weather its 95 here.
Diver
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:31 PM
SAB

I would personally make the drive to SF since there will not be a great deal of traffic and it will take only one hour, but then I routinely drive for an hour or more after making after getting into SFO from the East Coast.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:46 PM

I think I'd drive too. Coming up 101 at night is a cinch. Of course this is if you aren't totally jet lagged. The San Jose Airport is really right next to the freeway and it's a straight shot to San Francisco.

If you're going to spend the night in San Jose, I'd suggest doing it on the way back. That way you can avoid the Labor Day traffic, stay at a nice hotel, enjoy a leisurely breakfast and then hop a cab or hotel shuttle to the airport.

In San Jose there is a DoubleTree and a Courtyard Marriott very near to the airport (assuming you wanted to be closer than Downtown San Jose - which really isn't that much farther). In Downtown San Jose is the Fairmont, Hyatt Sainte Claire, Hotel De Anza, and Hilton Towers (to name a few).
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Diver, To walk across the bridge, drive across and park at the Vista Point just to the right. Then walk back towards the City. While you're there, go under the highway and drive up the hill (the Marin Headlands) for wonderful photo ops of the city and the bridge. You won't be sorry.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 02:41 PM

Hi Diver,
SF-SJ is about 1 hr driving time but it could be longer - esp in the SF area - on Labor day. There are vista point parking areas on both ends - I would park on the SF end. If you cant park right at the base, drive down a bit -there's tons more parking there. And it is free! Check out some photographs at http://www.indospectrum.com/travels/sf.html. Enjoy your trip. We live in a beautiful area here!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:20 PM

I will go along with the others who say to stay in San Jose the night you arrive and the night before you leave. Most likely by the time you get your luggage and get out of the airport it will be 11:00 PM. The most scenic route from the city to SF is 280. The downtown area is close to the airport. Just take Highway 87 south as you exit the airport.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Oh, travel time to SF from SJ is usually around 2 hours.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:58 PM

Just to throw my two cents worth into the mix: I was considering suggesting that you go ahead and drive to SF after your flight until Ellison mentioned the scenic drive, which you won't be able to enjoy late at night. However, you'll get to see the scenery on your drive from SF to SJ on Labor Day, so I guess it's a toss-up.

If you decide to overnight in SJ, check out Priceline for your hotel. There are some good deals. I checked at www.biddingfortravel.com and found that PL uses the hotels below at the SJ airport. Recent successful bids at the Hyatt ranged from $33 to $35, for example. If you want help in using PL, speak up! (I don't work for PL or BFT)

San Jose Airport (SJC)
3 Star
Hyatt San Jose
Doubletree San Jose
Wyndham San Jose
Radisson Plaza

2 1/2 Star
Summerfield Suites
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Airport
Airport Inn International
Park Plaza San Jose

Another suggestion is to start walking from the northern end of the GG Bridge to the southern end, so the view of SF will be in front of you. If you start from the southern end, you'll be looking back over your shoulder at the view of SF. I'm not sure if there's a way to get back to your car without retracing your steps. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

With all due respect to Ellison, I've lived in the South Bay for a long time, and it's never ever taken two hours to drive to SF from here. It's more like one hour (excluding rush hour).

Welcome to the Bay Area.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:57 PM

Topping for Diver...
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:42 PM

While the hotels that Betsy listed are nice, as a native of the San Jose area I would suggest staying downtown instead. Downtown is about 5 miles or so from the airport. There are many nice restaurants in Center City that are walking distance from the hotels.

On Priceline.com for Downtown San Jose:

4 Star
Fairmont
Hotel De Anza

3 Star
Crowne Plaza
Hilton San Jose & Towers
Hyatt St. Claire
San Jose Marriott City Center

I agree that 280 is a lot nicer than 101 which has nothing but brick soundwalls on either side of the freeway. I think that 1 hour to SF from SJ is reasonable at night around midnight, but during the day it always takes me longer than that. 1.5 hour is typical, but sometimes it could take at least 2 hours when the traffic is bad, especially if there is an accident or if it's commute time.

Welcome to the San Jose Bay Area.

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:52 PM

Thanks for your additional recommendations, Calitrav. I agree with your suggestions, if Diver wants to stay downtown. Wonder if he has checked back to see the responses?
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Diver to Betsy:
Hi, Yes indeed I am checking on a regular basis and "Thank You Very Much".
I also posted yesterday "San Francisco/Big Sur" , (see message)maybe a slight change of driving. I thought I had this trip all worked out. Would like see as much as possible but don't want to spend all the time in the car. Definitely spending night in San Jose. After working all day and the flight from Orlando we'll need a glass of wine and a nights rest before we start our adventure. Still unsure about Union or Wharf Hotels.I really prefer a small Hotel but with excellent rooms and service.All suggestions very helpful.Thanks again.
DIVER
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 09:01 PM

Oh good, glad you're still around Diver. There's a lot (too much really) of info in the archives about SF hotels. My bias is toward the Union Square area; I think the Wharf leans toward ticky-tacky. Good deals abound on PL in SF too. Good hotels at great prices. Check out Bidding for Travel. I really don't have any affiliation with the site!