Where to stay in San Diego??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to San Diego for a long weekend at the end of April and have no idea what area of the city to stay in. We would like to relax and also do some sight seeing. We will have a rental car. Is it necessary to stay at a hotel on the beach? How about the temp? We will be laying by the pool at that time of year? Thanks for your help!!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Our experience in two May visits has been that it's much too cold for the beach or swimming, but lovely to walk. We enjoyed the galight district and stayed at the Marriott near the harbor. Make a trip to the Wild Animal Park too. Have fun!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:46 AM

I stayed at the Ramada Gaslamp quarter last month. Great location, nice staff, but needs some updating. The Mariott Courtyard is in the same area and looks very nice. You can walk to restaurants and shopping in that area. You can also take the light rail (like subway cars on street)to other areas, such as Little Italy and Old Town easily. You buy your tickets from a machine on the street corner. There is a large visitor's center across from the Horton Plaza shopping center in the Gaslamp Quarter. Since you have a car, you'll be able to get to beaches so you may not need to stay on one. People had told us it was easy to drive in the SD area and they were right!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Try the Holiday Inn Express Old Town in the Old Town section. (619) 299-7400. It was just completely renovated from a Ramada and looks brand new. It has a shuttle for the airport and trolley, pool, continental breakfast, enclosed coutyard, and free parking.

I spent a couple of hours there two days last week looking at it as a possible reunion site and I was impressed with what I saw.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:07 PM

I reccommend staying in the Gaslamp area. Nice Hotels, great restaurants. There is a new Hilton, The Hyatt or the Marriott right on the bay, beautiful pools.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:28 AM

I highly recommend the Sea Lodge at LaJolla, we were there in March and the weather was just nice enought to walk the beach and swim in the pool. The setting is beautiful and the price was reasonable. They also have a great restaurant.All of the attractions are within 15 -30 minutes away.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:29 AM

If you are in to museums and bardens don't miss Balboa park!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:30 AM

gardens! sorry
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:57 AM

I wouldn't advise staying in the Gaslight District. Just my preference! I'd rather stay around Old Town. The Gaslight District is great at night (and I love old building) but during the day it just seems depressing!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 09:19 AM

the Hilton in the gas lamp quarter is great. many Good resturants within walking distance. If you want to stay on the beach stay at Hotel Coranado on corrando island- it is a famous old hotel.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Just to clarify-- It's the Hotel DEL CORONADO on CORONADO Island. In case you start trying to search for anything on it. If you want to see it a few years ago, check out the Florida scenes in "Some Like It Hot" (all exteriors were filmed at the "Del"). It's still a lovely hotel.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Hi,
My wife and I just returned from a long weekend, this past weekend in San Diego. We were there for a conference. We stayed at the Hotel del Coronado. Absolutely lovely place. We used the pool and jacuzzi, but when you come from Ohio, what the heck<g>. You couldn't hardly set toes in the ocean. Very, very cold. We had a rental and drove around, all around. Spent time in La Jolla (30 min drive) Great shopping, dining out of this world-I'd recommend George's and Top of the Cove. Went to Balboa park, GasLamp District, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, etc. We drove all around. Pretty easy to get around. Great shopping too at Fashion Valley. For what it's worth, I'd personally go back to the Hotel del. I loved it. Coronado is a great place to stroll through too. Shops (ok), with lots of dining. Didn't eat at any, but they looked good. Enjoy.
Frank
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 01:04 AM

I thought the Gaslamp area was sleazy and was filled with drunk kids staggering in and out of bars. What's all the fuss?