San Diego- What area to stay in

Old Jul 14th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego- What area to stay in

We have researched and still can't figure out what area of San Diego to stay in. We are 3 families, want to catch Sea World and the Zoo and enjoy a great beach day. We are looking for great evening atmosphere where we can walk and take in some fun before heading back to the pool to finish the night. Looking for hotel suggestions as well, mid- range price.
basically, we want it all.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM

We've tried them all and settled on Old Town. It's nice for strolling in the evening and it's near the interstate for getting to the far-flung attractions.

HTTY
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM

happy..
with all due respect, Old Town is not the best to base yourself since most of the 2* hotels freeway frontage.
After a half day of Old Town, you are done and the area at night can be very sketch.

There is one lovely hotel it used to be called the Hacienda that is quite nice.
There are so many deals right now for 4* for around $130+
Trolley service stops in OT.

BW Palms in Shelter Island has great deals.
I would go with either the Mission Valley area with Crowne Plaza with the big pool..easy access to all.
Hilton, Doubletree or Marriott..maybe a Sheraton too?
Hyatt La Jolla has good deals on expedia.com

Grande Colonial in the village of LJ is perfect for walking, dining, ocean walks...they are in the $200 range for summer.
BW Inn by the sea in LJ has one of the best deals.

Ask for a high floor for ocean views and the ocean is a block away and all the great restaurants are all around.
Try George's at the cove, ocean terrace, Alfonso's for Mex.
Crab Catcher or Trattoria Acqua..great happy hours.

Coronado, El Cordobo, Marriott, Loews resort..they had a $99 a couple of months ago.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 06:26 AM

you should define mid-price range

La Jolla (village area not UTC) is great as previously suggested just not sure it will be in the mid-price category ... ditto for Coronado

mission valley has great access with a car, etc. it's not very pedestraian friendly to "walk and take in some fun before heading back to the pool to finish the night"

to me, shelter island is not a good area as it's too limited in choices and has same affect as MV

Old Town is fine but 2-3 blocks in the wrong direction is not OK but it's obvious so don't worry... thankfully the area has gotten a new proprietor and is much better than the last 4-5 years. I still say this is your best suggestion so far but be aware of the freeway when booking hotel
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Marriott Hotel & Marina might fit the bill.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:11 AM

I think Old Town is a cool place BUT, it's not a good place for families. It's got a main strip thru town that stretches about a mile and it's filled with bars, restaurants and kitchy type shops. It's a great place for singles a couple.

But larger groups or families I would stay in Coronado. It has a more residential and family feel to it. There are public parks, a beach that is consistently on the top 10 beaches in the world list, a nice main part of town where you can stroll, it's fairly flat and perfect for sightseeing on bicycles, there is Glorietta Bay where you can rent sailboats.

Downtown San Diego, the Zoo, Balboa Park, Old Town are about 10 minutes away from Coronado (whereas La Jolla is about a 25 minute drive).
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are there kids? How old are they? What type of evening fun are you looking for-adult or family-with-young-children?

I think downtown might be your best bet. Not close to a beach, you'd have to drive there and to Sea World, but plenty of adult things to do in the evening, and the Embarcadero and Seaport Village to stroll with kids.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 09:11 AM

I'm more in line with Barbara's suggestion. IMO, Old Town is not an enjoyable place for kids, either. Coronado is too removed for your plans. Maybe check into the Hyatt, Marriott, etc. vicinity near Seaport Village. You can stroll all over the bay. Gaslamp/Downtown is walkable but it's a hike with little ones. If you aren't up to the walk, you can catch the trolley from Seaport Village to Gaslamp/downtown. And if you like- take the ferry to visit Coronado. Drive to La Jolla, Coronado or Mission Beach for your beach day.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:29 AM

I'd try to stay by the ocean. I think your best bet would be a vacation rental. Since you have a group of people this would probably get you more for you money. I've used this website many times and have been happy with the rentals: http://www.vrbo.com.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 01:58 PM

I agree with renting a home if you have small children rather than hotels. VRBO is good as suggested and I've also used socalvacationrentals.com which has a good group of homes around La Jolla and PB. i have little kids and i hate staying in hotels where i basically either have to rent two adjoining rooms (hello, expensive) or basically turn in when the little ones go to bed.

in La Jolla i would budget $500 to $700 per night (expensive but not as bad when split between 3 families)...if you stay a week you sometimes can score better deals. i like the village and also la jolla shores. also love coronado but i think that area only rents houses by the week due to some rules on the island.