san diego - best area to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are off for a two week drive through California. We intend to stay in San Diego for at least 3 or 4 days and despite reading guide books and this forum, I cannot decide which area would be best for us. I am partially sighted and although my husband will be driving, it would be nice to be able to walk to restaurants and public transport. We would prefer city rather than beach but don't want to be spending a fortune on parking a car.
Advice anyone for two Brits about to fulfil a bit of a dream.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:03 PM

If you want to stay in the city I would suggest the Marriott, Hyatt or any other hotels that are right off the bay. You can walk from the Convention Center all the way down to the Cruise terminal and in between (just outside Hyatt and Marriott) is Seaport Village which is filled with little shops and restaurants. Parking however will be expensive since it's downtown. At the Marriott we did have the option to self park outside which saved us a little from the valet parking which was like $30 a day and I think they even charges us tax! In front of the Marriott you can pick up the trolley tour which goes to Coronado Island, then to the Zoo and Balboa Park, some other stops and ends up at Old Towne. You can hop on and off the trolley also. Across the street from the Marriott is their (we call lightrail in Denver) city train system which will take you to Tiajuana or up towards old Towne as well. Otherwise you could stay near or on the beach in Mission Bay and there are restaurants you can walk to but you have to hop on the highway to get into the city (not a far drive though). Or you could stay on Coronado which has beaches, restaurants and you can catch the trolley somewhat near Hotel Del as well.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:08 PM
je

On Coronado Island (joined to San Diego by bridge) the Marriott has a very nice resort on the bay side. At the other end of Coronado, about 10 blocks, the Hotel Del is the premier property but the Glorietta Bay Inn near the Del is nice and probably less expensive. There are a number of nice restaurants at both ends of the town. There is trolley, bus and ferry traansportation across the bay to San Diego. I think parking would be easy at all.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:28 PM

We LOVED the Del Coronado and paid $270 for a great room in the Victorian section - where you'd want to be.

Check it out.

Good luck. We deliberated about this for a long time too! The Del is a magnificent piece of history and I think one of the oldest wooden hotels in the country. Certainly one of the most beautiful and not just a big concrete box. You'll never forget it.

Steve
Maryland
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:25 AM
ltt

downtown or the glorietta bay sound like they's suite you.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:37 AM

I agree that staying on Coronado might be a good solution. It's an island just across from downtown SD but has a magnificent beach with a boardwalk for a nice stroll, has it's own "downtown" area with shops and restaurants and is connected to downtown either by a bridge you drive over or a ferry service (on foot, no cars). Has a bit of small town, beachy feel but minutes to downtown. Which hotel you pick is another matter. The Hotel Del is beautiful and historic but expensive. Not sure the rooms are worth it but it's right on the ocean side of the island. You might be better off on the bay side.

La Jolla is another option. Very manageable downtown area where you can walk to shops and restaurants. It's a 20 min drive to downtown SD though. If you pick this, just be careful of hotel location. Many hotels with La Jolla in name or address or not actually in the downtown La Jolla area within a walk. Le Colonial is well located on the upper end, the Best Western La Jolla on the lower price end.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:01 AM

I agree about the Hotel del Coronado. We love it there, and our family has been going every so often for about 30 years. It is just a classic and very enjoyable. Their breakfast buffets are very nice, and you can sit outside overlooking the beach. The Sunday brunch is amazing too and they are pretty well known for that.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:46 AM

I love Coronado and La Jolla but since you said that you would prefer city to beach you might be better off downtown as lenleigh suggested. You can definitely walk to many sites, will get more of that city feeling and can use the trolley to get around. However parking will be expensive and driving in and out of downtown is a little bit of a pain with all the one way streets.

If you do stay in Coronado though you could take the trolley to downtown. This might be the best option. Coronado is easy to drive and you can walk to lots of shops. My friends have stayed at Glorietta Bay and liked it. Don't think parking was too expensive. Even though you said you didn't want the beach, there is nothing so great as lunching on the patio at Hotel Del watching the ocean. I took a client to lunch yesterday in La Jolla and we sat outside looking over the cove-the weather here has been glorious! Have a wonderful trip, let us know what you decided.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 01:39 PM

If you like Sunday Brunches, Hotel Del Coronado has a fantastic brunch!!! The best I have ever had. We also ate lunch on the patio of their restaurant across from the bar. You definitly can feel a little bit of the old days with people lunching and sipping drinks outside!