San Diego trip in March

Search

San Diego trip in March

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego trip in March

HELP! Girlfriend trip to San Diego coming up in March 2006. Looking at staying in the Mission Bay area or near Gaslamp Quarter. Which area would be best for a short 4 day \ 3 night trip? Here are a few hotels that are being considered and I would love some honest feedback. Mission Bay = Hyatt Islandia and The Dana on Mission Bay. Gaslamp Quarter = Sheraton Suites, Westgate, and Marriott San Diego Hotel and Marina. I am trying to throw out some different pricing ranges for us 6 ladies to consider. The plan is to rent a mini van to get around and what should be on our list of "must see"? Age wise, we have all seen the other side of 40.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:08 PM
hsv

1. I would warn you about the Hyatt Islandia. I stayed there recently (late fall) and it is not at all up to usual Hyatt standards. Even though they upgraded me to a junior suite in the tower, the room was dated, bathroom worse than at a cheap motel. The alarm clock had not been checked by housekeeping and went off at 4.30 a.m. - just a minor incident, but in combination with the seedy room and the price I was paying (about US$ 180.00) it really annoyed me. The overall appearance to me is that it is in need of a serious make-over or needs to be rebranded. Currently it puts shame on the Hyatt brand.

2. The Dana is across the street from the Hyatt. It appears they have basically two complexes: a brand new white one and an older one. The new part looks pretty nice, but I did not stay there.

3. I don't care too much for the Mission Bay location. At both properties you would need a car to basically get anywhere. Not much charme around there either IMHO.

4. If a pool is important to you, rule out the Westgate. It is a very service oriented property, but it does not have a pool.

5. What's the focus on activities for your trip? If you are set to explore San Diego's nightlife and want to spend time at bars and clubs, I would suggest that you opt for one of the downtown hotels. I did not stay at the Sheraton Suites and the Marriott, but I seem to recall that the Marriott Marina and the Westgate would be more convenient to explore the Gaslamp Quarter (where most bars are and nightlife focuses) than the Sheraton Suites. I could be wrong here, though.

6. If you want to spend some quality time and rather focus on going to nice restaurants, do take a look at La Jolla. Lots of lovely places in the area around Prospect St. Plus there is some worldclass shopping, the town is easily and enjoyably walkable and last but not least the coves are pretty beautiful.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of the threads I have been reading did not have very favorable ratings of the Hyatt. Guess we may just rule that one out. None of us has ever been to San Diego so I am just going by what the travel sites say are the top attractions (i.e. the zoo, seaworld, various museums, parks, etc.) Perhaps I will rule out the Mission Bay area. Is the Gaslamp Quarter the "charming" area of the city? Where is La Jolla located distance wise from the Gaslamp Quarter? Is Coronado worth seeing?
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 03:04 PM

San Diego is a great destination. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Sea World. Coronado has a great beach and it is neat to see the historic hotel close up. The Mexican Old Town is kinda fun. We explored some tide pools across the bay...was it called Balboa Point or something???Don't remember. There was a military base nearby and we were at a park of some sort. We liked the shops/restaurants along the wharf area for casual fun.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 03:42 PM

golden

For first time visitors I recommend the Old Town Trolley Tour. You can stay on for the entire 2 hour tour or hop on and off at the places that interest you. Stops include Old Town Seaport Village, Horton Plaza, Balboa Park, Coronado and the Zoo. For full details and other tours go to www.historictours.com

Order a free planning guide from www.sandiego.org - this is a wonderful resource with coupon offers and loads of information.

Hotel choice - If you are coming from a land locked area do consider a hotel close to the Pacific Ocean. What price range are you looking at and what is it you ladies would like offered at the hotel? Is a pool essential or not important etc.

Whatever you decide you will love San Diego.

Sandy

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 01:12 AM
hsv

golden,

I am not sure whether I would describe the Gaslamp as charming. It is great for a fun night out and there are restaurants, bars and clubs galore, but that is basically what it is: an entertainment district.
It is in downtown, though, and thus centrally located.

I agree with others about Coronado. A charming beach community with a great beach and the Hotel Del which by itself is a sight.

La Jolla is a bit away from the hustle and bustle of downtown, but San Diego is easily driveable and it takes just a short hop of about 15 minutes by car to make it to La Jolla (which I love).
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 01:14 AM
hsv

Forgot to add: Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 09:41 AM

We stayed in S. Diego for two dayes in 1998 and took the shuttle. It's the best way to get to know all the interesting places. The things you found interesting you visit in depth the other days of your stay.Paul